Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881764 times)

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1635 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »

Is there any way I can stop the "complained about the draft lately" thought besides not recruiting the guy?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:32 pm »

Is there any way I can stop the "complained about the draft lately" thought besides not recruiting the guy?

Get the dwarf up to Novice in at least one weapon skill, or wrestling, so that his military title is no longer "Recruit", and that thought will not occur.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 08, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

I believe in earlier versions, fishing / hunting were troublesome because of how easy it was to make wild animals go extinct.  I essentially gave up on hunting / fishing altogether after experiences like emptying the river of all life after just a few seasons of a single dwarf fishing, or hearing tales of hers of wild reindeer / rhinos / etc. go extinct from just a few battles. 

Is this still the case?  If so, is there some way to make animals an inexhaustable resource instead?

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1638 on: May 08, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

Is this still the case?  If so, is there some way to make animals an inexhaustable resource instead?
Certainly it's possible to feed a fort indefinitely on domesticated animals.  Doing it by hunting is probably much harder, not only because of the wildlife exhaustion issue, but also because of the problem of keeping the hunters in ammo.

That said, I've noticed that my forts don't seem to run out of fish and game nearly as fast as they used to.  But this may be because autolabor strictly limits the number of hunting and fishing dwarfs to one at a time, and because I tend to play in savage biomes, which have more wildlife in general.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1639 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:27 pm »

The fact that [PET_EXOTIC] creatures breed now, and many common wild creatures are [PET_EXOTIC], seems to make it harder to depopulate the wild animal population.  It's still possible, but you have to work harder at it since the population recovers over time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 08, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »

The fact that [PET_EXOTIC] creatures breed now, and many common wild creatures are [PET_EXOTIC], seems to make it harder to depopulate the wild animal population.  It's still possible, but you have to work harder at it since the population recovers over time.

Thanks, this is very hopeful news for me!  I may actually consider enabling some Hunters now (I never used to because I didn't want to 'use up' all the wildlife in the background and end up in a desolate, boring safe place.)

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:01 pm »

Could someone please explain to me how exactly do you train animals in 0.34.x? I know it is a dumb question and probably have been answered many times before. However I can't find any buttons or whatnot in Pets/Livestock screen. I also have know idea how to see what kinds of animals my civilization is familiar with, the feature which many people talk about. Screenshots would be much appreciated. I don't get how to train even dogs now and it makes me really sad. :(

UPD: I have 0.34.07 version without any mods. I also tried Masterwork mod, but it is no surprise I do not see the option to train animals there either. There is a dwarf with animal training labour turned on, I also built kennels, just to be sure I did not miss anything. I found some posts on the forum that said I need to pasture animals in a special zone before they are trained, so I did this too. I want to learn to train my dogs into war dogs as well as to train monkeys that I caught before to become tame. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:34:32 pm by FengYun »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 08, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »

Go to the Z-Animals screen ([z]->[ENTER]) and scroll down to the animal you want trained.
Press [t] to assign a trainer, who will then go to the animal and start training it (I believe wild animals must be in a cage for this).
Semi-wild animals need re-enforcement training to stay tamed. For this set up a training zone and release the animal from their cage. The trainer will periodically drag the animal to the zone for training.

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 08, 2012, 03:44:51 pm »

FuzzyZergling, thank you very much. I thought it was Pets/Livestock screen where I should look for, but Animal screen turned out to be a completely new list. Thank you. My animals are all very happy now. :)

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1644 on: May 08, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »

Semi-wild animals need re-enforcement training to stay tamed. For this set up a training zone and release the animal from their cage. The trainer will periodically drag the animal to the zone for training.
While you need a training zone, I've noticed that trainers do not actually drag the animal to the training zone, at least not in all cases.  Specifically, egglayers who are brooding will be trained in situ.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 08, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »

How can I put a ghost to rest, if it's name doesn't turn up in the list of engraveable names (for slab) and his corpse isn't listd among the corpses in the stockpile? He keeps claiming a coffin but nothing is put in, most probably he was a thoroughly burned caravan guard.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 08, 2012, 05:13:54 pm »

While you need a training zone, I've noticed that trainers do not actually drag the animal to the training zone, at least not in all cases.  Specifically, egglayers who are brooding will be trained in situ.
Ah, that's good to know. I still think you need to release them from their cage, though (possible exception if the cage is built in the training zone).

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 08, 2012, 05:49:50 pm »

Thanks, this is very hopeful news for me!  I may actually consider enabling some Hunters now (I never used to because I didn't want to 'use up' all the wildlife in the background and end up in a desolate, boring safe place.)
I find that setting peasant migrants to hunting and having bone and wooden bolts on repeat construction gives you a fairly lethal force of crossbowdwarves in a few years. And plenty of unicorn meat roasts!

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1648 on: May 08, 2012, 06:49:44 pm »

Ah, that's good to know. I still think you need to release them from their cage, though (possible exception if the cage is built in the training zone).
I don't know about that.  I have a fort around here somewhere where I've domesticated about a dozen species.  The females are allowed to roam (in a pen of course, or pasture for the grazers) so they can reproduce, but I keep nongrazer males caged.  I've found that they'll never reach "tame" in the first generation, but the second generation is born with the same taming level as the mother, and babies tame far more easily than adults, so usually the second generation is tame by the time they reach adulthood.  I'll have to try making my nongrazer female pasture a "training zone" and see if that matters.  (Doesn't really matter if the males are tame or not since they stay caged all the time anyway.)

Domesticated giant ravens are the bomb for producing food for the fort.  Although you do end up collecting a lot of useless feathers over time.

lleu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:59 pm »

Is there any way to make the wildlife in the caverns come to my traps? Like setting a bait animal or something?
Fortresses made: 17
Dwarves Killed: Don't even care anymore.
Sieges repelled: 13
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 422