Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881725 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1650 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:18 pm »

Setting a bait animal would work for some of them, yes.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 08, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »

Is there any way to combine many single bolts into a stack of 25 again??   
I think the answer is no... and I wish this worked.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:39 am »

the answer is no and so do we all.

reinforcement training can't be done in a cage, wherever it is
How can I put a ghost to rest, if it's name doesn't turn up in the list of engraveable names (for slab) and his corpse isn't listd among the corpses in the stockpile? He keeps claiming a coffin but nothing is put in, most probably he was a thoroughly burned caravan guard.

its name should be in the slab list and I believe ghosts should now appear at the top. you might need to use dfhack tweak clear-missing
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:11 am »

Does a dwarf have to pass directly through a mist tile to get a happy thought or just witness one from close by? I just embarked near a very tall waterfall and am considering how best to achieve happy thoughts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 09, 2012, 02:12:01 am »

I think just has to be nearby. Good luck preventing mass suicide though
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:49 am »

Thanks! Isn't it at the top of the waterfall that dwarves decide to fling themselves over though? I'm considering spanning a bridge across the chasm right in front of the waterfall (1 tile away from the actual water) about half way down, just to benefit from the mist. I was thinking of adding floor grates under the water itself later on to let the dwarves walk right under... bad idea? I don't have much experience with waterfalls. :P

I guess if they just need to see the mist I could do a row of windows on either side of the falls... hmmm...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 09, 2012, 02:40:37 am »

You are best off flooring over the last 1-2 tiles of the top of the waterfall even so. The stupidity of dwarves is enormous.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 09, 2012, 05:54:23 am »

Any idea how to get merchants and migrants safe into the fortress when zombies/thralls/husks roam the landscape and every now and then some cloud/smoke pops up and turns everything into some horror?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:39 am »

Is there any way to combine many single bolts into a stack of 25 again??   
I think the answer is no... and I wish this worked.
no...but I suppose you could melt them down. no idea if you can still create metal via bolt-splitting since forges started respecting material sizes.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:36 am »

Any idea how to get merchants and migrants safe into the fortress when zombies/thralls/husks roam the landscape and every now and then some cloud/smoke pops up and turns everything into some horror?

Numerous underground entrances that can be sealed by raising bridges, usually kept closed. When the game pauses and recenters on the migrants/caravan, open the nearest possible entrance that doesn't have them run through a mist. Traffic zones can also be used to keep them from taking shortcuts through the mist, but as the stuff moves, it takes lots of micromanaging. As for the zombies/thralls/husks, take them out by making a tunnel full of cage traps and lure them in. Safest thing you can do is atom smash them while still in cages. Works best if you can make as many cages as you want, so requires huge underground tree farms or a magma-powered glass industry, it'd be a shame to waste good metal on this.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1660 on: May 09, 2012, 07:13:33 am »

I was thinking of adding floor grates under the water itself later on to let the dwarves walk right under... bad idea? I don't have much experience with waterfalls. :P
I did this once.  It does work (and the persistent good thoughts probably helped to save the fort from a tantrum spiral), but there's a chance of knocking the dwarfs off the bridge so make sure you have floor (or wall) on both sides.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 09, 2012, 10:11:30 am »

Thanks! Isn't it at the top of the waterfall that dwarves decide to fling themselves over though? I'm considering spanning a bridge across the chasm right in front of the waterfall (1 tile away from the actual water) about half way down, just to benefit from the mist. I was thinking of adding floor grates under the water itself later on to let the dwarves walk right under... bad idea? I don't have much experience with waterfalls. :P

I guess if they just need to see the mist I could do a row of windows on either side of the falls... hmmm...

Dwarves that pass through mist are cleaned, so there is an advantage over windows.  Be careful about water falling on the bridge itself though.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96677.msg2775410#msg2775410

Edit: Just to be clear, Dwarves do not decide to fling themselves off the top of waterfalls, they are carried over by the current which can happen anywhere.  Anytime a dwarf is in a tile with a stack of water and that stack splits into an empty tile, the dwarf has a chance of being moved into the new tile.  So if there is water on your bridge they will be washed over eventually.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:23:48 am by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 09, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »

I noticed that out of stacks of bones and teeth, there is sometimes one left in the craftdwarves workshop, cluttering it up and not being used. What is that, a new bug?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 09, 2012, 01:45:10 pm »

bone stuff sometimes use like 1.1 of a bone, so after processing a whole stack, there might be a 0.4 bone left. basically useless

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:50 pm »

Thanks for the helpful replies! I ended up doing it.. so far so good.

Basically this is what it looks like:

Code: [Select]
#=F|
#=F|
#=F|
#=F|
# - natural floor
= - floor grate
F - constructed floor
| - constructed wall
W - natural wall

The water flows down through the floor grates. I'm probably using the wrong symbols but whatever.  :P So far it's all happy thoughts and no casualties aside from one unfortunate cave in caused by improper floor build order. This place rains vile nausea-inducing slush so the cleaning aspect is nice... my fortress is pretty much coated in vomit.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 422