Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881673 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1665 on: May 09, 2012, 03:09:55 pm »

A question about kobolds:

Are they a myth?

In all of my games of Dwarf Fortress through several versions, for over a year, I have never, ever, seen a kobold.  Back in 31.25 I did the [NOEAT] [NODRINK] mod to supposedly prevent them from starving in worldgen.  Recently I stopped doing that because I heard it was no longer necessary.  At any rate, I have never seen a Kobold civilization listed alongside the Human, Elf, and Goblin civilizations when choosing an embark site, and never seen one in my fort. 

Am I missing something?  How do I get kobolds to exist in my world?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

A question about kobolds:

Are they a myth?

In all of my games of Dwarf Fortress through several versions, for over a year, I have never, ever, seen a kobold.  Back in 31.25 I did the [NOEAT] [NODRINK] mod to supposedly prevent them from starving in worldgen.  Recently I stopped doing that because I heard it was no longer necessary.  At any rate, I have never seen a Kobold civilization listed alongside the Human, Elf, and Goblin civilizations when choosing an embark site, and never seen one in my fort. 

Am I missing something?  How do I get kobolds to exist in my world?

You will only see them in the civilizations screen, they aren't visible on the embark screen. If you leave the stuff of dead guys outside and turtle up in your fort, you'll probably miss them as they stealthily steal stuff from outside... and after a few years send ambush squads if the catch is good.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 09, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »

I just had 3 kobolds trying to sneak in in the middle of a goblin siege massacre. They exist
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 09, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »

I just had 3 kobolds trying to sneak in in the middle of a goblin siege massacre. They exist

I want to believe.

Heh, but ok, it sounds like the consensus with Tirion is that they are just ninjas.  So I should be able to check whether I have any once I've embarked by going to the civ screen, though?  I don't often look there; I may have been missing them.  Plus not much stays outdoors past the first winter.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »

kobolds stay stealth untill they can sneak in trying to steal something and even then you only know they are there when they are spotted. You'll get a message "a thief! Protect the hoard!" and the kobold will run.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Jaded military dwarves
« Reply #1670 on: May 09, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »

Hey all. I haven't played since 40d and I had a question: Military dwarves used to get a personality trait in their bio that said something to the effects of "is used to seeing death," and I never completely figured out what it did. I suppose it reduced unhappy thoughts from friends dying, but can anyone confirm this? Does it still exist in DF2012?

I want to believe.

Heh, but ok, it sounds like the consensus with Tirion is that they are just ninjas.  So I should be able to check whether I have any once I've embarked by going to the civ screen, though?  I don't often look there; I may have been missing them.  Plus not much stays outdoors past the first winter.
Watch animals, man. Just tie any old animal that has eyesight to a built restraint in the countryside and if you'll get a message if a kobold stumbles near it. Grazers might starve without enough grass so creatures like dogs tend to work best. Cages should work too and might be less laggy.

If you're hoping to capture them, keep in mind that they'll flee as soon as they're spotted, so it would be better to spam cage traps. I don't think you get a message when they're captured, so you should check your traps every now and then.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jaded military dwarves
« Reply #1671 on: May 09, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »

Hey all. I haven't played since 40d and I had a question: Military dwarves used to get a personality trait in their bio that said something to the effects of "is used to seeing death," and I never completely figured out what it did. I suppose it reduced unhappy thoughts from friends dying, but can anyone confirm this? Does it still exist in DF2012?

I want to believe.

Watch animals, man. Just tie any old animal that has eyesight to a built restraint in the countryside and if you'll get a message if a kobold stumbles near it. Grazers might starve without enough grass so creatures like dogs tend to work best. Cages should work too and might be less laggy.

If you're hoping to capture them, keep in mind that they'll flee as soon as they're spotted, so it would be better to spam cage traps. I don't think you get a message when they're captured, so you should check your traps every now and then.

I believe that 'death thought' thing is now called "doesn't care about anything anymore", as the maximum state of their 'combat hardness.'  I think just the more your expose them to death, eventually the less upset they get by it.  Some people recommend regularly dropping goblins/puppies splattering onto your dining room to desensitize your dwarfs, so they won't get upset and tantrum when they see deaths in battle.

Thanks for the Kobold-hunting tips!

Now I have to ask:  Where is the source for your positively marvelous avatar?

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Re: Jaded military dwarves
« Reply #1672 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:27 pm »

Where is the source for your positively marvelous avatar?
I really wish I knew, it was posted in a gif thread on /v/. Thanks for the wiki link, that was exactly what I was looking for.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1673 on: May 09, 2012, 05:03:06 pm »

Kobolds are TRAPAVOID so you won't cage them unless you knock them out first.

Two war dogs will beat a kobold more often than not.  I usually pasture at least three war dogs near every surface entrance (and I usually only have surface entrance that is normally open) so any kobold trying to sneak in has to deal with the poochies.  The dogs will either kill it or chase it off.  Once in a while the thief will disable or kill one of the dogs, but they breed quickly, and the others will still chase it off before it steals anything.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:28 pm »

random question:

what does it mean when I have an item that looks like {item}. It isn't parentheses like when the item is imported.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:53 pm »

What weapons should i use to kill and ice forgotten beast with poison vapors?

also, both elf and human merchants have died at my fort by goblin ambushes. will they come to siege me now?

Lastly i generally suffer 3-4 casualties during these ambushes...is this normal?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 09, 2012, 05:59:46 pm »

3-4 casualties for an ambush is a bit high, but if they're fresh recruits it might be more reasonable.  Killing or having merchants be killed has a pretty small effect on the chances of war.  Diplomats are what you need to worry about.  Merchant deaths seem to mostly impact the size of the caravan next year.

I'm not too sure about the ice forgotten beast, but since it has deadly vapors my first instinct is to say that you shouldn't get into melee with it if at all possible.  I'm not 100% sure, but ice should be a weapon material so even poor quality bolts should do damage.  Whether or not you could shoot it enough to stop it with that alone I can't say.

If you have to get into melee with it, axes are probably your best bet.  Anything metal should be able to defeat the material properties of ice.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:41 pm »

random question:

what does it mean when I have an item that looks like {item}. It isn't parentheses like when the item is imported.

It's forbidden.

---

Will the clowns melt copper spikes in an upright spike trap?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 09, 2012, 06:15:34 pm »

I noticed that out of stacks of bones and teeth, there is sometimes one left in the craftdwarves workshop, cluttering it up and not being used. What is that, a new bug?

Alas, not a new one.  Bug #5816.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:42 pm »

random question:

It's forbidden.

But then why was my militia dwarf still using it? (it was an *oaken shield*) That and I have never forbidden anything.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 422