Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881927 times)

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1500 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:03 am »

If only the entry in the wiki was written this concisely.  I would suggest you add you paragraph to the wiki.

"Concisely" means that it leaves out redundant or irrelevant information.  You actually wanted an increase in detail and clarity, not conciseness.

Is it better now?  I didn't copy i2amroy's paragraph, but I kept some of the ideas.

Yes.  Much better.  Thanks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:04 am »

The wiki says trained animals revert back to semi-wild then wild, and their offspring inherit their training status- does that mean the offspring are reverting back to wild too? Because I have a lot of semi-wild Monitor Lizard Hatchlings, their mom is already wild and they aren't.

Will they be Domestic if I train them now?

they will eventually revert to wild unless you continue training them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:20 am »

The wiki says trained animals revert back to semi-wild then wild, and their offspring inherit their training status- does that mean the offspring are reverting back to wild too? Because I have a lot of semi-wild Monitor Lizard Hatchlings, their mom is already wild and they aren't.

Will they be Domestic if I train them now?

they will eventually revert to wild unless you continue training them

Tested it, at least the training part- semi-wild child animals do become Domesticated if trained even by the most dabbling animal trainer. Neat, when I have 70 semi-wild hatchlings in a room (mother beast chained next to a nest box) and 70 idle dwarfs ;D

Here's another question: does turning invasions off also prevent vampires from arriving among my migrants? Based on what I read here I doubt a fort of 140 dwarves could happen without a single bloodsucker.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:15:45 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 30, 2012, 11:53:12 am »

If you don't have any vampire blood in your fortress, then the only way you can get a vampire is through immigration.

As for frequency, it depends on what happens during world gen.  An extremely short history will probably mean there are no vampires in the entire world.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »

Tested it, at least the training part- semi-wild child animals do become Domesticated if trained even by the most dabbling animal trainer. Neat, when I have 70 semi-wild hatchlings in a room (mother beast chained next to a nest box) and 70 idle dwarfs ;D

Here's another question: does turning invasions off also prevent vampires from arriving among my migrants? Based on what I read here I doubt a fort of 140 dwarves could happen without a single bloodsucker.
I'm fairly certain that any "child" creature you attempt to train will become domesticated. Also as greycat said, world gen has a lot to do with getting vampires. I personally tend to generate large worlds with 200-300 years of history and I hardly ever get vampire migrants.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 30, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »

What does it mean when a Dwarf's name is flashing?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 30, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »

They're legendary.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1507 on: April 30, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

They're legendary.
Or on fire.  It depends on what color their name is flashing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 30, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »

Can't tell if on fire. Or just legendary.
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »

How do I get my dwarves to return all of the stuff at the trade depot to stockpiles?  Also, I have a couple of general stockpiles setup to accept ammo, but all of it sits at the metal furnace.
what you traded for will be moved automatically, what you brought to trade away but didn't trade needs to be unmarked in the goods screen, where you first set it to be brought there
Stupid question, but just how do I unmark those items left at the depot at the goods screen?

Also, my dwarves simply refuse to take ammo, clothes, toys, instruments, etc from the workshops to the stockpiles.  The workshops remain cluttered, stockpiles unused.  I set up a generic stockpile at the start of the game that is now full and created a second, identical stockpile later that doesn't seem to work.  I'm a little sketchy on the min/max barrels/bins options, but increased both for the stockpiles and I watched as a dwarf dropped a single empty pot in the new stockpile, but nothing else.  Help is appreciated as always.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 30, 2012, 09:21:51 pm »

How do I get my dwarves to return all of the stuff at the trade depot to stockpiles?  Also, I have a couple of general stockpiles setup to accept ammo, but all of it sits at the metal furnace.
what you traded for will be moved automatically, what you brought to trade away but didn't trade needs to be unmarked in the goods screen, where you first set it to be brought there
Stupid question, but just how do I unmark those items left at the depot at the goods screen?
Same way that you marked it to be brought to the depot. Simply go into that menu and hit enter on everything that you are currently "trading".
Also, my dwarves simply refuse to take ammo, clothes, toys, instruments, etc from the workshops to the stockpiles.  The workshops remain cluttered, stockpiles unused.  I set up a generic stockpile at the start of the game that is now full and created a second, identical stockpile later that doesn't seem to work.  I'm a little sketchy on the min/max barrels/bins options, but increased both for the stockpiles and I watched as a dwarf dropped a single empty pot in the new stockpile, but nothing else.  Help is appreciated as always.
Do you have hidden stones on your stockpile? They can fill stockpiles up and prevent other things from being hauled there.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:44 pm »

Same way that you marked it to be brought to the depot. Simply go into that menu and hit enter on everything that you are currently "trading".
Do you have hidden stones on your stockpile? They can fill stockpiles up and prevent other things from being hauled there.
Trading is over with, the caravan is long gone, no trader at the depot, so that option no longer exists.  However, there's a lone diplomat that has been wandering around my fortress since the very first caravan came and I'm now 5 years into the game haha... not sure what the hell is going on there.  I guess he's trying to meet with my mayor or leader but they're always busy doing things.

The stockpile in question is clear of debris and is located on a clay floor.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 30, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »

Once the caravan leaves the items in the depot should be automatically unmarked for trading and hauled back to wherever they go. Of course if your stockpile isn't working then they may just sit there...

Did you accidentally disable quality or something like that on your stockpile? That would prevent everything of the disabled categories from being stockpiled there.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:03 am »

Now at three questions:

1} So if a goblin is unconcious... will a vampire suck his blood?  I'm thinking no.

2} Why are one hump and two hump camels so extremely expensive when embarking?  I see no reason for it having the highest animal cost... it's not like they can become war camels.

3} Also does the quality of a quiver play any importance during a battle?  (besides maybe a happy thought)   I'm thinking no.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:53:04 am by NTJedi »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:27 am »

1} So if a goblin is unconcious... will a vampire suck his blood?  I'm thinking no.
Actually I'm fairly certain the answer to this one is yes, though the goblin would have to be uncaged and your dwarf would need to not be afraid of it, so it might only work with like human vampires or something like that.
2} Why are one hump and two hump camels so extremely expensive when embarking?  I see no reason for it having the highest animal cost... it's not like they can become war camels.
Because that's what Toady decided they would cost.
3} Also does the quality of a quiver play any importance during a battle?  (besides maybe a happy thought)   I'm thinking no.
It doesn't.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 422