Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881925 times)

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1485 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:30 pm »

Everything requires two mechanisms to connect to a lever, period. You can connect as many things as you want, but you need to have at least two mechanisms (one for the lever, one for the device) for every one that you connect.

Can you then explain the wiki entry here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Traps#Upright_Spear.2FSpike

The text here clearly implies that you do not need a mechanic to place a spear/spike trap.  If you don't need a mechanic, then you don't need mechanisms.  Or the wiki is wrong or poorly written for this entry.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 28, 2012, 09:39:44 pm »

No the wiki is right. What it means is that it doesn't require a mechanism to build the trap in the first place and the trap doesn't need to be built by a mechanic. This is different then weapon traps which require a mechanism to just build them in the first place, and then must be set up by a dwarf with the mechanic labor. Spikes don't need a mechanism to set up in the first place and any dwarf can set them up, they don't need the mechanic labor. If you want them to retract/extend you will still need a mechanic though to build the mechanisms.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kelumhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:38 am »

Build floor hatches or bridges out of a magma safe. As it shows on the wiki a good magma piston shouldn't have any wholes around the edge at all and neither bridges nor floor hatches grant support to adjacent constructions.
------------------------------------------
Try queuing it up with the manager. Sometime dwarves have problems recognizing that they have everything that they need for a reaction. If that doesn't work then you are probably missing something else somewhere. Personally I always use tallow for my soap reactions, and I've never had any problems with it.

Thankyou. The manager que did the trick, and i did not know that about floor hatches and bridges.

thanks again.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:22 am »

I have a human caravan gated inside my fortress.  Will I be prompted that they're ready to leave so I can open up the gate, or do I need to leave the gate open until they're ready?

edit:  Okay, I got the prompt that they've embarked, THEN I opened the gate and now they're just sitting there, not going anywhere.

Also, most of the items in the trade depot are marked '[T]', do I need to toggle this off to allow my dwarves to move the stuff to their respective stockpiles?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:23:31 am by ClawlessVictory »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:45 pm »

Do robes cover most of the clothing requirements? I'm hoping to only need a small clothing industry, so that I can focus on more important things.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1490 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »

edit:  Okay, I got the prompt that they've embarked, THEN I opened the gate and now they're just sitting there, not going anywhere.

They may take some time to finish packing.  When you get the message that they've embarked, it actually means that they're not trading any more.  They will then take time to pack up all their stuff on their wagons and animals before leaving.  I think the items in the trade depot marked [T] are theirs, stuff they need to pack.

Do robes cover most of the clothing requirements? I'm hoping to only need a small clothing industry, so that I can focus on more important things.

No.  Shoes, pants, and shirts need to be provided separately.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 29, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »

How do I get my dwarves to return all of the stuff at the trade depot to stockpiles?  Also, I have a couple of general stockpiles setup to accept ammo, but all of it sits at the metal furnace.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 29, 2012, 05:23:52 pm »

Are you sure about the pants?  I don't see a pants-related thought in the executable, in the place where all the other clothing-related thoughts are.

Code: [Select]
was upset by not having enough weapon racks lately
was upset to be wearing old clothing lately
was upset to be wearing tattered clothing lately
was very upset to have worn clothes rot away lately
was very embarrassed to be uncovered lately
was embarrassed to have no shirt lately
was embarrassed to have no shoes lately
was unable to find an available hammer lately
was nauseated by the sun lately
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 29, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »

Are you sure about the pants?  I don't see a pants-related thought in the executable, in the place where all the other clothing-related thoughts are.

Code: [Select]
was upset by not having enough weapon racks lately
was upset to be wearing old clothing lately
was upset to be wearing tattered clothing lately
was very upset to have worn clothes rot away lately
was very embarrassed to be uncovered lately
was embarrassed to have no shirt lately
was embarrassed to have no shoes lately
was unable to find an available hammer lately
was nauseated by the sun lately
I'm pretty sure "embarrassed to be uncovered" is from no pants.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 29, 2012, 07:27:38 pm »

Will my dwarves automatically pick up replacements when their clothing wears out?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1495 on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:30 pm »

Yes, they will now, provided new clothing is available.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:28 am »

How do I get my dwarves to return all of the stuff at the trade depot to stockpiles?  Also, I have a couple of general stockpiles setup to accept ammo, but all of it sits at the metal furnace.
what you traded for will be moved automatically, what you brought to trade away but didn't trade needs to be unmarked in the goods screen, where you first set it to be brought there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 30, 2012, 04:03:09 am »

The wiki says trained animals revert back to semi-wild then wild, and their offspring inherit their training status- does that mean the offspring are reverting back to wild too? Because I have a lot of semi-wild Monitor Lizard Hatchlings, their mom is already wild and they aren't.

Will they be Domestic if I train them now?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 30, 2012, 06:00:37 am »

No the wiki is right. What it means is that it doesn't require a mechanism to build the trap in the first place and the trap doesn't need to be built by a mechanic. This is different then weapon traps which require a mechanism to just build them in the first place, and then must be set up by a dwarf with the mechanic labor. Spikes don't need a mechanism to set up in the first place and any dwarf can set them up, they don't need the mechanic labor. If you want them to retract/extend you will still need a mechanic though to build the mechanisms.

If only the entry in the wiki was written this concisely.  I would suggest you add you paragraph to the wiki.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 30, 2012, 07:42:42 am »

If only the entry in the wiki was written this concisely.  I would suggest you add you paragraph to the wiki.

"Concisely" means that it leaves out redundant or irrelevant information.  You actually wanted an increase in detail and clarity, not conciseness.

Is it better now?  I didn't copy i2amroy's paragraph, but I kept some of the ideas.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 422