Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881921 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1470 on: April 28, 2012, 04:08:18 am »

Two questions if you dont mind,

1: When making a repeatable piston, how do i catch the lava that flows off the side and back down next to the piston?
Build floor hatches or bridges out of a magma safe. As it shows on the wiki a good magma piston shouldn't have any wholes around the edge at all and neither bridges nor floor hatches grant support to adjacent constructions.
2: Im having trouble understanding how to make soap. im pretty sure i have lye and rocknut oil available, but when i go to the soapmaker's workshop and hit 'a'dd new task then "make soap from oil" i only get a list of what is needed to do so and what it creates (i can uplaod a screen shot if needed). what am i doing wrong?
Try queuing it up with the manager. Sometime dwarves have problems recognizing that they have everything that they need for a reaction. If that doesn't work then you are probably missing something else somewhere. Personally I always use tallow for my soap reactions, and I've never had any problems with it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 28, 2012, 08:51:40 am »

Build a lever in a room with a door, set lever profile so only the vampire can pull it, disable jobs on vampire, set lever to be pulled repeatedly, lock door behind vampire.

This. It required one more victim (only child this time, phew) before dwarf vampire Edémashmón (now a killer of 11 dwarves) received a mission to pull lever for all eternity. 1x1 room with a lever, and door is tightly locked. Simple plan, and about the only task I know that those bastards actually do! I must prepare more rooms of this kind. I have previously walled in caged beasts in 1x1 rooms (I dont know what else to do with them other than doing a nice collection out of them) but those were carried there, not lured, so it was way easier.

Second vampire got an additional 50 hammerstrikes to her sentence of 401 days in prison, hell yeah. The Hammerer's CV includes four killed vampires so far so I have high hopes for this one :D.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 28, 2012, 10:31:41 am »

The bottom of the wiki page DF2012:Metal industry currently states that 15 "Make steel bars" jobs will produce enough steel for 5 breastplates.  Have things changed more than I realise since I was a regular here, or should this be 10 breastplates?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 28, 2012, 10:32:41 am »

Can you link multiple spike traps to a single lever?

Absolutely.  A single trigger device (lever or pressure plate) can be linked to an unlimited number of targets.  You just need two mechanisms for each link.
*facepalm* and i had 12 levers linked up to the 12 atom smashers i created for my last zombie embark.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:36 am »

The bottom of the wiki page DF2012:Metal industry currently states that 15 "Make steel bars" jobs will produce enough steel for 5 breastplates.  Have things changed more than I realise since I was a regular here, or should this be 10 breastplates?

Breastplates require 3 bars of metal to make according to the wiki, so that would make sense.

Edit: Will goblin sieges only come if there is a goblin civ in the civilizations menu?
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 28, 2012, 10:37:26 am »

Vampires don't sleep.  They'll never use their bedroom.
As someone else pointed out i have seen vampires idle in their bedroom, but a lever set to only them is the best way of sorting your vampire out.
Although what i did was make the vampire into a individual squad and station it in the room.
Then flood with magma.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1476 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:45 am »

Vampires don't sleep.  They'll never use their bedroom.
They'll probably still idle in it.

True.  Best to make sure you don't have a meeting room or statue garden set up anywhere, so they don't have anywhere else to idle.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:10 am »

Edit: Will goblin sieges only come if there is a goblin civ in the civilizations menu?

yes, the embark civilizations menu though. If you're already embarked, civs will be added as they visit you, except your home civ which is always there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:38 am »

Breastplates require 3 bars of metal to make according to the wiki, so that would make sense.

Yes, but doesn't one "Make steel bars" job combine one iron bar and one pig iron bar to produce two steel bars?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 28, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »

Yes it does.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 28, 2012, 12:36:54 pm »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »

Does a cloak count as upper body wear to prevent dwarves from being embarrassed?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 28, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »

Yes.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

Can you link multiple spike traps to a single lever?

Absolutely.  A single trigger device (lever or pressure plate) can be linked to an unlimited number of targets.  You just need two mechanisms for each link.

But I thought that spike traps were the only type to not require a pair of mechanisms, and you could connect it directly to a lever.
.  So I can connect multiple spike traps w/o pairs of mechanisms to a single lever?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 28, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »

Everything requires two mechanisms to connect to a lever, period. You can connect as many things as you want, but you need to have at least two mechanisms (one for the lever, one for the device) for every one that you connect.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 422