Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882289 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #945 on: March 30, 2012, 04:13:21 pm »

Why a former military reverted to civ, with a burrow restraining him to inside for good measure, continue to head toward his military gear?

I assume it was a civilian alert burrow? yeah, military, ignores civ burrows. as long as the squad is active, counts as militia

And I say this again and again and again.
You may not like the pick up equipment tasks, but I do. It means my marksdorfs go and get more bolts instead of just standing there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »

If I think my fort is running well with a population capped at 40 (though of course it ended up a bit higher than that), can I now change the population cap to 80 and have migrants again? Or does the liaison stop checking after the cap gets hit the first time?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 30, 2012, 04:22:02 pm »

init is checked any time you start DF. you'd have to save and restart after you change it, but you should get more migrants. A bit more than hoped for though.

if you produced a lot of wealth, your next migration wave might very well be about 50 people.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #948 on: March 30, 2012, 04:46:33 pm »

Possible reasons why my dwarves refuse to move rock that is blocking my masons workshop? Dumping got rid of the rock but why did I have to resort to it? They're usually moved by dwarves to make room for the construction, right?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 30, 2012, 04:53:23 pm »

Possible reasons why my dwarves refuse to move rock that is blocking my masons workshop? Dumping got rid of the rock but why did I have to resort to it? They're usually moved by dwarves to make room for the construction, right?

Possible reason: a: rock is tasked for hauling to a stockpile (or possibly for a construction of some kind); b: rock was dumped on the workshop area after the area was cleared by somebody building an adjacent structure
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #950 on: March 30, 2012, 04:55:53 pm »

Hmm, b is probably the case, makes sense. Thanks!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

alondite1010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 30, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:29:02 pm by alondite1010 »

GreyPowerVan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »

I can't build a bridge out of Gabbro(stone) for some reason. I have at least 300 gabbro lying around, and I JUST finished making two bridges out of gabbro.  However, when i try to make my third bridge, the only things it gives me an option to build with is wood.  Any ideas?

EDIT- it seems I can't choose any kinds of stones for anything. Like, even at the trading depot i can only choose.... ammo(made of wood) and wood...

EDIT2: The game seems to just not show anything that isn't wood for me. Like, I can't even make non-selected items like thrones because he says he needs a non economic hard rock
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:47:32 pm by GreyPowerVan »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »

Typically this is caused by dwarves finding something on their tile where they are building that was placed there after they began actually bulding.

On any large flooring or walling project I either:

1) Start in a section where I have already cleared stones away

2) Dump all the stones in the area into a quantum pile and then reclaim them before I designate the building job.

If I build above ground, I typically create a 10x10 stone stockpile with one type stone allowable in it, and allow it to fill before designating the dwarves to build.  That way I have masons running short distances to get rocks and build, and non-mason haulers rushing to pick up replacement rocks from farther away.  It really saves a huge amount of time on large projects.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

GreyPowerVan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:33 pm »

Typically this is caused by dwarves finding something on their tile where they are building that was placed there after they began actually bulding.

2) Dump all the stones in the area into a quantum pile and then reclaim them before I designate the building job.

If I build above ground, I typically create a 10x10 stone stockpile with one type stone allowable in it, and allow it to fill before designating the dwarves to build.  That way I have masons running short distances to get rocks and build, and non-mason haulers rushing to pick up replacement rocks from farther away.  It really saves a huge amount of time on large projects.

unrelated question--- do you play wurm?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 30, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »

unrelated question--- do you play wurm?

Yup - sometimes.  I'm pretty inactive currently, bouncing from game to game waiting for Secret World to let me in, or for the urge to build bring me back to Wurm.  Currently fiddling around in AO
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:31 pm »

I can't build a bridge out of Gabbro(stone) for some reason. I have at least 300 gabbro lying around, and I JUST finished making two bridges out of gabbro.  However, when i try to make my third bridge, the only things it gives me an option to build with is wood.  Any ideas?

EDIT- it seems I can't choose any kinds of stones for anything. Like, even at the trading depot i can only choose.... ammo(made of wood) and wood...

EDIT2: The game seems to just not show anything that isn't wood for me. Like, I can't even make non-selected items like thrones because he says he needs a non economic hard rock

Sounds like you might have globally forbidden stone.  I do not know off the top of my head how to resolve that globally, but you can reclaim individual stones or buldings and see if that allows you to use them.

You might have also set burows too restrictively and your dwarves might not have access to stone they could otherwise use.

alondite1010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 30, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »

So, I had a WereMammoth Child attack my fortress. He killed a dwarf, swam in my moat, drank some blood, and just left as a goblin child. should I be worried?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 31, 2012, 01:51:52 am »

Quite often quivers and waterskins end up in stockpiles with some leftover arrows or liquid. Is this a problem or not? I'm not too sure if they are basically screwed, equipment-wise, or if they are good to use.

GreyPowerVan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 31, 2012, 02:57:37 am »

Solved it, nvm
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 422