Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882265 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #975 on: March 31, 2012, 11:24:52 am »

Tips for surviving in an evil biome? i'm 1 dwarf down already
Don't stay outside.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 31, 2012, 12:09:41 pm »

How does one properly seal off a cavern you have entered through the ceiling?  Would a floor hatch suffice?

What are the following useful for:

FLOOR HATCH
FLOOR GRATE
FLOOR BARS

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 31, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

locked hatch would be good enough. I don't think the others can be placed on the stairs. Currently nothing can be destroyed from below, so a locked hatch will stop anything from below.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 31, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »

How does one properly seal off a cavern you have entered through the ceiling?  Would a floor hatch suffice?

What are the following useful for:

FLOOR HATCH
FLOOR GRATE
FLOOR BARS
A hatch works similarly to a door, only blocking up/down movement instead of North/East/South/West movement.
Grates and bars do not let creatures through, but do let liquids through. They can be connected to a lever to be opened to allow passage.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »

Could anyone remind me how many z-levels one should fall to get limbs scattering all over the place?
I kinda forgot.
And the reason I ask is because I am currently building
a bone harvesting constraption using
a bridge, a lever and a deep hole in the ground at my current fort.  :P

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 31, 2012, 12:22:56 pm »

10 causes a reasonable explosion, I always prefer 13 / 14 for completely certain death and more gore.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 31, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »

10 causes a reasonable explosion, I always prefer 13 / 14 for completely certain death and more gore.

Thanks!

And I think I'll go for 20.
I just hope I won't stumble across any underground fun stuff,
because that would only mean more work to get this thing going.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 31, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »

EDIT: Bridge problem fixed. I dunno what happened the first time.

I have this problem where dwarves bring corpses and parts of titans, FBs, etc. to underground refuse piles, even though they don't allow corpses or body parts. They handle other corpses fine, it's only unique creatures that are put here. How do I fix that, other than having to manually dump their parts outside every time?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:47:21 pm by badwin »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 31, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »

How does one properly seal off a cavern you have entered through the ceiling?

Assuming you dug a vertical series of up/down stairways, what you want to do is dig one tile right next to the bottommost stairway (so a mason has somewhere to stand), and then order the construction (not digging) of an up stairway to replace the up/down stairway.

An up stairway has a solid base, so that will block the opening into the cavern.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 31, 2012, 07:05:57 pm »

I have a walkway for my sniper crossbow guys to patrol 1 Z-level above the main entrance. It works very well. The war dogs delay and detect goblins that try to get in and the crossbows shoot them before they get too close. I don't even have to close the main gate. The markdwarfs patrol 4 at a time in a squad of 6. Ambushes are dealt with automatically. All I have to do is reassign a new war dogs to the chains. The biggest pain is the body parts that get severed will go everywhere. They get stuck inside the fortifications and sometimes land on the roof. I floored over the top of the walkway to protect against flyers, since the pathway is connected to the heart of the fort.

the only way to clean these tiles out if to deconstruct the fortification and rebuild it. Someone will come and haul the body parts to the refuse pile. I like to have a clean outside. I claim every single thing and collect refuse from outside. The whole map is walled in except for the entry for wagon traders to get in, which is where my defense is concentrated. I've only lost 6 dwarfs in about 10 years. One of them was a swordmaster. Died of old age, what a shitty way to die for a soldier. Including the sword master, 3 died from only old age. 1 died from a failed mood, 1 got shot through the fortifications by a elite goblin bowman, and one was killed by an ambush because the melee didn't respond quickly enough. I could have set alerts to make the civilian retreat, but I was certain the melee would intercept the goblin first... No, they were sleeping or some crap.

I setup a goblin cage on the surface which turns out to be a ton of fun. It took me 2 sieges to perfect it. I have a 10x10 area of Fortifications. I built a gantry that is 1 Z-level higher for prisoners to get pitted into it.The walkway is fully walled in and hatched so the dwarfs aren't frightened by enemies that are already pitted. I make mark dwarfs patrol around it in a circle with an ammo pile close by. Its super effective archery training. After the first time. No civilians could get near it without being scared. So I built an outer wall layer around it, about 5 spaces offset from the fortifications.  As long as I am careful not to pit any ranged or flying enemies it is perfectly safe. I deconstruct the walls to clear out the bodies and get the goblinite. Since it is outside, it never gets stinky with miasma.

With the new animal training changes with the patch, dwarfs can lead prisoners to pit without any chance of the prisoners escaping.I mass pitted about 30 goblins into the cage arena. The dwarfs are walking prisoners halfway across the map with no escapes. I can't say what happens if the dwarf gets scared. So I made sure theres no way the arena is visible from the drop off gantry. It is kinda funny how a weak untrained dwarf can lead a goblin swordmaster to a death pit now. I don't even strip them of weapons or armor. I collect that crap after they have been pin cushioned.
I still need to figure out what to do with the ones that can shoot back. Pitting them off a very tall tower might be a better idea since they wouldn't be safe to use as target dummies.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 31, 2012, 11:09:58 pm »

I have a mighty big hurdle to overcome it seems... burrows...

I created a burrow for all of my civilians to retreat to when danger comes.  But how do I select a single dwarf to pull the lever to my drawbridge without deactivating the burrow alert?

alerts/schedules are an entirely different beast :(

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 31, 2012, 11:13:02 pm »

You can't, you'll just need to extend the burrow to include the lever, or move the lever inside the burrow.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 31, 2012, 11:16:18 pm »

You can't, you'll just need to extend the burrow to include the lever, or move the lever inside the burrow.
ah man that's genius... thanks!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 01, 2012, 02:57:24 am »

ALWAYS have important levers in places where lots of people will be that are NOT panicking because of a goblin ambush. Near bedrooms, dining halls, statue guardens, meeting areas (if you use those) in secure locations is favorite.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 422