Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882309 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #885 on: March 26, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »

In my experience, they will not throw away worn clothes. When it gets worn with a single X, they store it in their rom and claim something newer. The old stuff stays in their room forever and will never be thrown out.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »

To clarify, the drawbridge is not blocking the path.  The trading caravans have never had trouble reaching my fort before.  The entire map is in red except to the very entrance of my fort, just beyond the drawbridge.  The only thing I can think of that could be blocking my entrance is that boulder, but I've never even noticed it until examining the ground in detail.

It is the boulder.  Boulders and trees can block wagons.  You need to d-(s)mooth the boulder.  We've been so used to the wagons being gone that most people have forgotten or never seen this problem!

(and as an aside, I'm pretty sure boulders can spontaneously appear in terrain, from season to season which explains why it wasn't a problem before - so players use roads to keep boulders/trees from growing and blocking the depot.  And an easy little exploit is to designate a dummy stockpile 'road' instead, as nothing will grow on that)
Thanks man, that was exactly it!  I originally tried disposing of the boulder but couldn't figure out exactly what I needed to do to get rid of it.

Thanks to everyone who's put up with all of my noobed out questions!  You guys are great!  There's still so much I have to learn, but I feel like I've got a strong grasp on things now.

Such an enthralling game.  Time to send Tarn and Zach some money :)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:43 am »

In my experience, they will not throw away worn clothes. When it gets worn with a single X, they store it in their rom and claim something newer. The old stuff stays in their room forever and will never be thrown out.

That sucks.  Do the old items lose ownership?  You might at least be able to dump them then.

Actually, how would clothing end up in the refuse pile at all?  That's where Toady said it would rot away.  I assume that clothing that lost ownership would end up in the refuse pile, but if it never loses ownership, that'll never happen?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 27, 2012, 02:30:44 am »

What's a good material for shields? I've seen wood as a material thrown around, since it's lighter than steel... but do I lose anything by going with wood versus steel? It's been a little hard to search for this on the forums, sorry.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57:30 am »

That sucks.  Do the old items lose ownership?  You might at least be able to dump them then.

Actually, how would clothing end up in the refuse pile at all?  That's where Toady said it would rot away.  I assume that clothing that lost ownership would end up in the refuse pile, but if it never loses ownership, that'll never happen?

I havn't seen it when it's stored in a room, but busy dwarfs just dump it on the ground, where it will lose ownership. I'm guessing the ones who brought it to their room had spare time. After it loses ownership the haulers will bring it to an apropriate stockpile, which is NOT the refuse stockpile. It's been suggested to manually dump it, but then you might as well dump it on unsuspecting caravans.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 27, 2012, 07:34:06 am »

What's a good material for shields? I've seen wood as a material thrown around, since it's lighter than steel... but do I lose anything by going with wood versus steel?

As far as blocking enemy projectiles and weapon swings, the material is irrelevant.  The material only affects the result if your dwarf bashes someone with the shield, which shouldn't be happening terribly often.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 27, 2012, 09:15:26 am »

I've abandoned a few forts now in the same world and I was wondering, one of my old farmers just showed up carrying his own booze... was he carrying that when I abandoned or is there a different reason? The first two forts were in very annoying locations, but it's getting interesting on the immigrants. I should try to get large militairy and see if they keep their equipment.

anyone else seen any strange things with old fort migrants?   I think I just had a part of a previous forts animal population migrate to me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:33:40 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:56 pm »

Never thought I'd ask... a blacksmith got a possessed mood. He asks for bars... metal, bones.... yes, didn't see more and as metal worker it'd make sense he starts with a metal bar. I have steel, iron, copper, pig iron and bismuth bronze, soon to be added is tin and possibly some silver. There are also three different stacks of bones. I thought moods didn't need charcoal, but there is still charcoal.... He has a preference for zinc, but I didn't think that matters, at least plenty of people say it doesn't.

before anyone suggests it: nothing is forbidden, other metal workers are running back and forth to the stockpiles so there is a path and I don't have any burrows active.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:08:49 pm by Garath »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 27, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

Never thought I'd ask... a blacksmith got a possessed mood. He asks for bars... metal, bones.... yes, didn't see more and as metal worker it'd make sense he starts with a metal bar. I have steel, iron, copper, pig iron and bismuth bronze, soon to be added is tin and possibly some silver. There are also three different stacks of bones. I thought moods didn't need charcoal, but there is still charcoal.... He has a preference for zinc, but I didn't think that matters, at least plenty of people say it doesn't.

Select the workshop with (t) and see if he has collected any bars yet - if there is a bar (or bars) there, its possible he still needs more bars of that, and they don't exist.  Smelt some more of that type, and if he runs to collect them then that was the problem.  If he doesn't, then he has collected all the bars he needs, and it is some other item on his list he is missing.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:05 pm »

then he did want specific bars I guess. In the end I had silver, gold, iron, steel, tin, bronze, bismuth, bismuth bronze, bismuth, copper and pig iron. None was good enough and now he's babbling.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 27, 2012, 03:22:31 pm »

So they can insist on their favorite type of metal if it isn't available...I wasn't sure, because I've been fortunate enough to always have the favorite type of metal when artifact time rolled around.

Metals are the only thing that I'm sure they can insist on their favorite subtype of. My impression is there used to be lots of things they could insist on, but some of the more problematic ones have been weeded out over the years, so they don't insist on a specific type of, for example, wood, which would be impossible to get more often than not.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 27, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »

they still sometimes insist on specific cloth types. Oh well, may his soul rest in peace, he won't be missed.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »

They insist on silk/wool/plant-fiber cloth, but those are considered first-class types when it comes to moods. The second-class types based on specific sources of silk, wool, or plant fibers (cave spider silk, alpaca wool, pig tail fiber cloth, etc.) can't cause a mood to fail.

Are you sure they hadn't tasked any bars, and you didn't have any bars of their favorite metal?  Even, say, used to build a workshop somewhere?

If everyone's right that they can't insist unless the material is actually available, there's also the question of whether you had any zinc cages or sphalerite lying around, and whether having something you could turn into bars of their favorite metal is enough for them to be able to insist.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 28, 2012, 03:33:16 am »

ah, maybe a zinc cage, yep, 2 zinc cages. That might be it, even if both were used in traps atm

anyone made sure yet what is needed to prevent bad thoughts from lack of clothing? shoes, trousers and shirt?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:05:55 am by Garath »

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 28, 2012, 06:22:08 am »

I have captured 4 war cave dragons that arrived with a siege, but they don't show up in my animal list to be tamed.  Is this because they have already been trained for war by the goblins, or is it a bug?

I also have a breeding pair of giant pythons, the female will claim a nest box and sit on the eggs after I forbade them, but she has been sitting on them for quite a while.  Does anyone know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?  It has been about 3 seasons already.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 422