Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882355 times)

Delynx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #870 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:59 am »

Hi all, a newb question here.

My finished goods stockpile seems to remain empty, even though my dwarfs produce crafts, such as toys, goblets, figurines, etc. I have a stockpile with all "Finished Goods" enabled, and I have empty bins in a furniture stockpile. But my "finished goods" stockpile remains empty, and all crafts are just laying in crafts workshop.

upd: Actually, same thing happens with my "ores" stockpile, it's empty, but I of course have hematite, garnierite, etc. (they are enabled in stockpile). But all other stockpiles seem to be fine.

Have I missed something? Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:34:24 am by Delynx »

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:56 am »

i have a question about jug's and large pots

why would you ever not use large pots since a large pot can hold 60000 Liquid/solid Capacity while barrels can only hold 100.

stone jug you need to glaze or are they not earthenware
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:05 am »

How can I block a tile one Z level below the dwarf, while keeping it adjacent to the tile to block?

The sentence being unclear, picture a trench. I want to fill the trench while standing above it, not in it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:49 am »

why would you ever not use large pots since a large pot can hold 60000 Liquid/solid Capacity while barrels can only hold 100.

I can find the 60000 in the raws, but I can't find the 100.  So I'm not sure where the 100 comes from....

Barrels and large (stone) pots both hold 10 plants or 10 prepared meals in a stockpile.  The benefit of using stone pots is that you get to use stone, which is basically infinite, instead of wood or metal.  The drawback of using stone pots is that you can't use them to process sweet pods into sugar (bug 4356).  Also they might be heavier.

It's possible that there are other bugs related to capacity, for instance in milk storage.  I haven't tried to nail those down.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 26, 2012, 11:47:08 am »

How can I block a tile one Z level below the dwarf, while keeping it adjacent to the tile to block?

The sentence being unclear, picture a trench. I want to fill the trench while standing above it, not in it.

You want a Cave-in!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 26, 2012, 11:53:34 am »

i have a question about jug's and large pots

stone jug you need to glaze or are they not earthenware

no need to glaze stone jugs

I'm using mostly rock pots because I have more than enough stones and don't usually set magma smelters up soon, so I have a different use for the wood. I don't actually think there is much difference between the two.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2012, 01:39:52 pm »

Hi all, a newb question here.

My finished goods stockpile seems to remain empty, even though my dwarfs produce crafts, such as toys, goblets, figurines, etc. I have a stockpile with all "Finished Goods" enabled, and I have empty bins in a furniture stockpile. But my "finished goods" stockpile remains empty, and all crafts are just laying in crafts workshop.

upd: Actually, same thing happens with my "ores" stockpile, it's empty, but I of course have hematite, garnierite, etc. (they are enabled in stockpile). But all other stockpiles seem to be fine.

Have I missed something? Thanks a lot!

No path to stockpiles (locked door, raised drawbridge, busted ramp)?  Dwarves set to burrow, and stockpiles or goods/ore not in the burrow?  Dwarves have item hauling enabled?  Are there pre-existing, empty stockpiles that they are filling first instead?  Are the items in question somehow marked forbidden?  Its easy to accidentally mass-forbid unintended things, like a workshop or its contents.

Try setting a finished good stockpile right next to the craft station, and see if they empty it.  If they do, that would seem to indicate a path error to the intended stockpile.  If they don't, that would indicate no haulers, or forbidden items.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »

about cutting gem's, for some reason i can cut siltstone and jet, but these aren't gems so why should i cut them?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2012, 02:54:12 pm »

about cutting gem's, for some reason i can cut siltstone and jet, but these aren't gems so why should i cut them?

Read the change log!  Along with multiple different types of gem cuts, a new feature in the current versions is the ability to cut and polish stones of any type of rock.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 26, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

Read the change log!  Along with multiple different types of gem cuts, a new feature in the current versions is the ability to cut and polish stones of any type of rock.

Huh, I must have missed that in the changelog. I wasn't sure that was actually intended, I thought it might be a bug.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 26, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »

You want a Cave-in!

mmmh, I read it.. How this would fill the trench, the wall would deconstruct if built above it...

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 26, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »

make sure your stockpiles dont have hidden stones in them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:10 pm »

I had a migrant, three years old, listed as baby and not showing up in my (u)nits or in therapist.... huh? It died of thirst now.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 26, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

Okay, I've got a question - Just how does justice work, divvying punishments up between the captain of the guard and the hammerer? I think I've seen the captain of the guard take over and beat someone if the hammerer was busy, but now that my own hammerer us up for punishment, it's just been sitting on the justice screen for ages.

Also, if I make a non-military dwarf hammerer, will he pick up the proper type of weapon and use it in his duties? (This would be my preference actually, since the military one is... pretty fatal. Oops.) And is there any way to specify his weapon, without making him military and giving him a crappy weapon? (I guess I could make a squad just for the hammerer and not send him out to fight, but meh. I'd prefer there to be another way.)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 26, 2012, 06:45:23 pm »

You want a Cave-in!

mmmh, I read it.. How this would fill the trench, the wall would deconstruct if built above it...
You would need to cave-in cast obsidian or natural rock, or fill the hole with magma and drop water on it.
Also
My dwarfs are doing great with their clothing although... I've had to remove cabinets from rooms, they tend to store their used clothing there. Also, the used clothing is simply stored in a stockpile instead of being moved to a refuse pile to rot in pieces, so I still end up with a lot of used clothing... Is it actually decomposing on my regular stockpile? am I doing something wrong?
Clothes will be unclaimed after a period of time without being touched by dwarves, i think it's a month of season, after that the worn out clothes should be dumped from the cabinet to the refuse stockpile where eventually they will rot away (unverified, but this seems to be the intended behaviour)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 422