Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878479 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #315 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »

No, the dwarf will be fine. If you forbid the base material it'll default to iron (because it's the first inorganic material in the raws), and if you forbid any of the decorations they'll just not get used.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 29, 2012, 01:01:03 am »

No, the dwarf will be fine. If you forbid the base material it'll default to iron (because it's the first inorganic material in the raws), and if you forbid any of the decorations they'll just not get used.

Whew! That's what happened - he ignored it and just used the aluminum and copper. Thanks.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:25 am »

I'm stating my question differently, because some dwarves decided to pick up a quiver all of the sudden, but not all of them.

How do you get dwarves to use crossbows in training and combat, from picking up the quiver to shooting bolts at goblins?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:51 am »

I never have trouble with them. Just make sure you have the equipment ready to be picked up in your stockpiles before you assemble the squads.
Crossbow
Quiver
Flask/waterskin
Backpack
Ammo Bolts
Armor
Helmet
gloves
boots
pants

Don't assign any dwarves to a military squad who also is assigned with mining, hunting or woodcutting labors

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:33 am »

I never have trouble with them. Just make sure you have the equipment ready to be picked up in your stockpiles before you assemble the squads.
Crossbow
Quiver
Flask/waterskin
Backpack
Ammo Bolts
Armor
Helmet
gloves
boots
pants

Don't assign any dwarves to a military squad who also is assigned with mining, hunting or woodcutting labors

They started as rangers, have no jobs, there are bolts and quivers in my stocks, but not all of them are taking quivers. And the ones that have the quivers don't use the archery range. Maybe I should make a separate thread for this?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18:38 am »

How long have you waited?

Dwarves aren't exactly dependable. It will take them a long time to arm up. And by long-time, I mean in-game year.

Check to see that they don't have any labor that involve weapons enabled (ie: no miner/hunter/woodcutter soldiers). Check to see your quivers are accesible and not forbidden (if you aren;t sure about accessibility station the squad on top of the quivers). If you'v made a custom uniform for them double-check that you didn't delete the quivers from it.

If that's all working wait. If you can't wait disable all their labors. Then expect them to sit around in the dining room with no job for at last month, because their dwarves and this is what dwarves do.

Nick

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:12 am »

They started as rangers, have no jobs, there are bolts and quivers in my stocks, but not all of them are taking quivers.

You don't (and can't) assign quivers to dwarves as part of a uniform.  You simply assign a crossbow (or other ranged weapon).  A dwarf who grabs a crossbow will automatically assign himself a quiver as well.

If you want your military dwarves to pick up their equipment right now rather than whenever they get around to it, give the squad a Station order.  They'll go on duty, grab their equipment, and then show up at the Station point.  Once they've got their stuff, you can cancel the Station order.

And the ones that have the quivers don't use the archery range. Maybe I should make a separate thread for this?

I still don't use archery ranges, so I don't know much about that part.  The ranges were apparently fixed very, very recently and I haven't done any SCIENCE! on them since then.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:25 am »

My nobles are shearing animals! 

Anyone know why that is?  Not one of my nobles has a skill that is shearing. Is Therapist just reporting, Social events as Shearing, in this patch?  Or is it a hidden workshop order, like All Shear, ie.  All Harvest? 

The icon sorta resembles the old icon for the one for Socializing.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:56 am »

I've seen something similar and I know this: it's not shearing. Might want to check what he is really doing, maybe pasturing an animal.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:53 pm »

Are 34.02 saves compatible with 34.03? My main concern was getting archery going, and I updated (I think!?) everything, but they're not using my archery targets, even a new one.

I suspect I missed a file or something - can someone point me to instructions for carrying over saves? I want to make sure I did everything i needed to. I copied the save into the new version, and then replaced the raws of the save with the raws from the new version.

Thanks.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »

Are 34.02 saves compatible with 34.03? My main concern was getting archery going, and I updated (I think!?) everything, but they're not using my archery targets, even a new one.

I suspect I missed a file or something - can someone point me to instructions for carrying over saves? I want to make sure I did everything i needed to. I copied the save into the new version, and then replaced the raws of the save with the raws from the new version.

Thanks.

From the looks of things, yes the saves from 34.02 are compatible with the builds after it. Or, at least they are compatible with 34.04. I was kind of worried about that too.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 29, 2012, 02:34:54 pm »

Why are my dwarves ending up trapped in my cages, and is there a quicker way to free them than build cage+lever -> connect to lever?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #327 on: February 29, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »

To be caught in cages, your dwarves are either passing out on cage traps, or getting caught in giant spider web on cage traps.  Do you have any giant cage spiders or other web-making creatures that are leaving webs on traps?  If not, are your dwarves being affected by any syndrome that's making them fall unconscious?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

Nah, it was after a messy siege though. I guess they were doing poorly and got saved :D

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:20 pm »

Why are my dwarves ending up trapped in my cages, and is there a quicker way to free them than build cage+lever -> connect to lever?

There is not a quicker way to free them. The reason why they are becoming trapped can vary, but it boils down to them being helpless on that tile. Common causes are falling unconscious due to syndrome/combat, or being webbed by a web throwing creature like a Giant Cave Spider or certain Forgotten Beasts.

EDIT: NINJA! Yeah, my guess is that your captured dwarves are wounded dwarves who gave in to pain in a bad spot.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 422