Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882337 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #840 on: March 25, 2012, 08:07:57 am »

@henrietta ; open the squads screen with s then press the letter of the squad(irst squad should be a) then hit m to issue a move order.
But if you want a harpy dead you could use k for kill then either select the harpy from the game screen or press l to get a list of all possible targets on the whole map. just hit the letter of the harpy and press enter.
Edit: acursed ninjas and their fancy youtube links.

if you use a move or kill order you have to cancel the order too, at least in earlier versions you had to. They'd just stand over the corpse doing nothing ("you sure it's dead?")
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:23 am »

Dehydrated with a waterskin full of beer? How can it happens baring a bug?  :-[

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 25, 2012, 11:06:19 am »

Can you still get the King/Queen if the dwarf you picked as Baron dies befor becomeing a duke?
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 25, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »

I'm trying to build a wall.  This dumbass wants to wall himself in and will not do it any other way!

Designate a wall to be built on the spot you don't want him to stand on.  Suspend the construction of that wall.  Now designate the construction of the wall you actually want him to build.  Dwarves won't stand on a spot where a wall has been designated for construction while building.

That trick is helpful, but it doesn't always work.  Dorfs have a preference to construct things from the west if possible IIRC, and there are some times when you absolutely need them to build from the east and they won't do it.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 25, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

Hi!

That trick is helpful, but it doesn't always work.  Dorfs have a preference to construct things from the west if possible IIRC, and there are some times when you absolutely need them to build from the east and they won't do it.

I want to offer something for experimentation there - experimentation because I have neither checked this with constructions nor the 0.34.x versions: When I build the channels for my wells, I sometimes had the same problem with flood gates placing. IIRC, if I suspended the placing of the flood gate when it was partially built and then, after waiting a little to allow the dwarf to go for a different task, unsuspended it again, a dwarf may come and quickly finish it from the side from whence the dwarf has come (I assume that you want to construct obstacles from the safe side :) :) :) ). My memory is quite hazy and this is from the old versions relating to buildings and not constructions, but I think it would be worth a try.

Yours,
Deathworks

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 25, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »

I was just visited by my first titan!  :D

It was a blob of flame with a broad shell.  It ravaged the countryside, setting everything on fire and approached my fort just after I closed the drawbridge.  As I sat safely inside, wondering how to handle this guy and watching my livestock burn to death, it died!  I checked the reports and it looks like he was breathing fire all over the place and was getting hit by his own bursts of fire???  A flaming blob died from fire then?  Okay...

Also, does it ever say when a creature dies?  From the report, all I can see it doing is fighting back and forth with one of my dogs and then the report just stops.  Is this the point in which it died?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #846 on: March 25, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »

Creatures made of fire are incredibly fragile, and will disintegrate from a fairly minor hit.  One of your burning livestock might have kicked it or something.

Creature deaths are usually not listed in the combat reports.  This is an annoying bug that's been around a while now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 25, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »

Thanks!

How do I change regions in Legends mode?  Seems like it's stuck in Region 3, and my current fortress is in Region 4.  Or am I just hopelessly lost and confused?

I'd like to find this titan in legends mode and view it's history, if possible.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #848 on: March 25, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »

You can't enter Legends mode on a region where you already have an active game (fortress or adventure mode).  To look at Legends on an active fortress, you need to make a copy of the entire Region folder, then load that region copy save, abandon the fortress, and then go into Legends mode there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

Can I assign my current dining room to my mayor or will this prevent the rest of my dwarves from using the room?  Do I need to build him his own dining room?

Yes, he should have his own dining room, separate from the Fortress's dining hall.
When you're small you can generally get away with putting the Mayor's dining room inside the dining hall. Both rooms will be much less valuable while you're doing this, so if your gameplay style requires your dorfs to spend half their lives admiring the amazing dining room, or you care that your Mayor's office sucks, it's not a good strategy.

But if you don't care about that stuff the main meeting hall is actually the best place to put both your Mayor and your Manager. Actual nobility (ie: your Baron) should get their own office, but the doeks who do the administrative work will do their work fine from the dining hall.

Nick

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 25, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »

Can I assign my current dining room to my mayor or will this prevent the rest of my dwarves from using the room?  Do I need to build him his own dining room?

Yes, he should have his own dining room, separate from the Fortress's dining hall.
When you're small you can generally get away with putting the Mayor's dining room inside the dining hall. Both rooms will be much less valuable while you're doing this, so if your gameplay style requires your dorfs to spend half their lives admiring the amazing dining room, or you care that your Mayor's office sucks, it's not a good strategy.

But if you don't care about that stuff the main meeting hall is actually the best place to put both your Mayor and your Manager. Actual nobility (ie: your Baron) should get their own office, but the doeks who do the administrative work will do their work fine from the dining hall.

Nick
When you say "meeting hall", are you referring to the Dining Room?  I turn off the "meeting hall" option in my dining room to prevent dwarfs from throwing parties.  Am I doing it wrong?

Also, what's the point in having a mayor?  Is it just another obstacle to deal with?  Guy seems more like a hindrance than anything else.  I took some office responsibilities off of my leader and spread them out between the two, but that's about the only use I've gotten out of him so far.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 25, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »

Have to say that I'm mighty let down by my first encounter with a titan...

I was fully expecting to lose, only for the thing to die to a puny dog...

I suppose this is to be expected with a game in it's alpha stage :(

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 25, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »

For some reason, while I've never had any trouble from bronze collossuses or titans, I have had considerable trouble from FBs. As far as I know, they should be of approximately equivelant power.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:40 pm »

My fishermen are mysteriously bleeding to death!  Is this because they're fishing in the area that's been lit ablaze by the fire titan and there's no fire damage in the game, so instead they just stand around in the flames and bleed?  I honestly don't mind a little thinning of the heard if this is the case ;)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:31 pm »

Fire does tend to cause bleeding, but bleeding isn't usually fatal in my experience.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 422