Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879863 times)

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4425 on: April 24, 2013, 03:49:53 am »

How long do dwarves live? Searched wiki for this, couldn't find the answer.
They usually die anywhere from 0-160, the life of the dwarf is arduous.
(120-160ish))
Code: [Select]
[MAXAGE:150:170] From the raws.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: April 24, 2013, 04:07:45 am »

since during worldgen your fort isn't there, it doesn't. It just means that you won't have as many Giants, ettins, dragons, rocs or bronze colossuses in your world so there is a smaller chance they'll attack you when playing. Megabeasts definately do affect the world in worldgen, killing adventurers, eating animals and adventurers, etc

My words were unclear. What I meant to say was that I thought whatever megabeasts were created and survived during worldgen do not actually determine what attacks you and how frequently. I heard it was just random?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:08 am »

I think it's random in that it's picked from the available megabeasts and doesn't really take into account where in the world you are. Every megabeast that attacks you will have a history you can look up and is a historical character. Having fewer megabeasts in the world will mean fewer megabeasts attacking your fort
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: April 24, 2013, 07:22:07 am »

Hi,

I'm getting spammed by messages "... cancels plant seeds: needs plump helmet spawn". I've googled for an answer, and the problem was that all seeds were put in one barrel, and when I was being transported, dwarfs could not take seeds from it (the barrel was regularly transported from stockpile to dining hall, I imagine dwarves were trying to collect seeds from eaten plump helmets).
I've forbidden seeds in all my stockpiles, created a small stockpile (6 tiles) near the farm plot, and allowed barrels: 0, enabled only food>seed>plump helmet seeds. Now tricksy dwarves started using cloth bags instead of barrels, and problem repeats - they run to dining hall with bag in hand, and others can't access it :(

What should I do to solve this problem?
There is a rather simple solution that will solve like 95% of this from happening.
<...>

Thanks for an advice, I'll give it a try when I get home. Another small question - is there a way to check if metals exist in my world? I've been digging around in search for metals (suitable for weapons), but I'm unable to find any.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:48 am »

dfhack, 'prospect all' will give you a completely accurate count of all metals, stones, gems, trees and several other things at your site. When used pre-embark it will give an estimate
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:40 pm »

A minecart route shows both stops as 'set dir/connect track', in yellow. However, the route seems to run just fine. Things get loaded, then they get dumped out at the end. What gives?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Kuxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: April 24, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »

I wish to trade an artifact, Atorkulbet (figurine of Gypsum), with the elves but I can't find it in the "Move Goods to/from Depot"-menu. It is currently in a stockpile. I tried filtering by value and searching for it, but without results.. I'm very new to trading and all I managed to do was trade some gypsum stone for logs, which I need as my fort is in a desert.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Searched forums and found out artifacts cannot be traded. Another question arises: What should I do with an artifact figurine?...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:37:39 pm by Kuxe »

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:48 pm »

Is there any way I could simulate a lot of in game time between two fortresses in one world? I want to have one ancient fort near the worldgen time, and then I want to see carvings about what I did in the first fort in a much later fort.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: April 24, 2013, 07:22:23 pm »

I wish to trade an artifact, Atorkulbet (figurine of Gypsum), with the elves but I can't find it in the "Move Goods to/from Depot"-menu. It is currently in a stockpile. I tried filtering by value and searching for it, but without results.. I'm very new to trading and all I managed to do was trade some gypsum stone for logs, which I need as my fort is in a desert.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Searched forums and found out artifacts cannot be traded. Another question arises: What should I do with an artifact figurine?...

Without the display case mod, there's nothing you can do with it as far as I know.  The display case mod would let you at least put it in a room to raise its value.  You'd need to regen the world after adding the mod though, so it can't help you this time.

Is there any way I could simulate a lot of in game time between two fortresses in one world? I want to have one ancient fort near the worldgen time, and then I want to see carvings about what I did in the first fort in a much later fort.

I think the fastest way you can do this is to embark, then abandon forts over and over again.  It will advance the world time by a year each time, I think.  Keep in mind that events that happen in worldgen won't happen in the between years.  Once you stop worldgen, that's it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

duskhorizon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: April 25, 2013, 04:05:10 am »

Hello.

Is there any way to know how many unclaimed by other dwarves items left in my fortress? For example cloth etc. I saw some dwarves running around naked, checked my stocks page, there should be lots of shirts in my fort, but how to know how many  of them are actually available for my dwarf to pick it up and how many are already owned by other dwarves.

I hope you understand ;)

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: April 25, 2013, 04:20:39 am »

Hello.

Is there any way to know how many unclaimed by other dwarves items left in my fortress? For example cloth etc. I saw some dwarves running around naked, checked my stocks page, there should be lots of shirts in my fort, but how to know how many  of them are actually available for my dwarf to pick it up and how many are already owned by other dwarves.

I hope you understand ;)
I belive the easiest way would be to set up a specific stockpile which you can monitor.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

duskhorizon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: April 25, 2013, 04:44:29 am »

That is what i thought and what i have done.

Thanks anyway ;)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: April 25, 2013, 12:26:52 pm »

A minecart route shows both stops as 'set dir/connect track', in yellow. However, the route seems to run just fine. Things get loaded, then they get dumped out at the end. What gives?

Okay, it's being hauled manually. As in, someone picks up the minecart and carries it to the other stop. There are no breaks in the route at all. Why does this happen?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: April 25, 2013, 12:56:49 pm »

Do enemies jump down z levels even when there is no downward ramp ?

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: April 25, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »

Do enemies jump down z levels even when there is no downward ramp ?

No.  If there are no stairs or ramps to connect z-levels, no non-flying creatures can willfully go down or up levels.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 422