Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879942 times)

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4395 on: April 21, 2013, 09:42:48 am »

1. Your parent civilization also determines what items you can make.   Some may not have access to high boots, for example.
But there's no way to find this out before you actually choose it, so I guess choosing by name remains the only option.

Pity about goblin caravans. I'd like to hope it's still possible, only very unlikely (well, as it should be).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: April 21, 2013, 11:40:48 am »

Yeah, it's theoretically possible to be at peace with the goblins, it's just not very likely. The only time I ever saw it happen was in a "dawn of the world" embark, which started out in year 1. Not sure if the date was related or if it was just coincidence.
IIRC the [BABYSNATCHER] token makes peace nearly impossible in vanilla. Without that token though, it would be fully possible to be at peace with goblins and get caravans from them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: April 21, 2013, 12:16:01 pm »

maybe I'm just lucky that way, but I've nearly always have had "at peace" in the civ screen after embark. And maybe I've been just unlucky in still never seeing any caravans from the goblins
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: April 21, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »

Different parent civs may also have different resources available.  Some of them may not have access to iron ores, for example, which means they can send you steel (or you can embark with a steel anvil) but not iron (meaning you cannot embark with an iron anvil, so it costs 200 points more).

The only way to find out what each civ has available is to embark with that civ.  (You can force-kill (SIGKILL on Linux, or Task Manager kill on Windows) the Dwarf Fortress process and choose a different civ, if you're into that.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: April 21, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »

dfhack "die"
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:06 am »

If I manage to kill a Forgotten beast made out of metal, do I get a metal statue/corpse/whatever to melt down, like with BCs?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:20 am »

If I manage to kill a Forgotten beast made out of metal, do I get a metal statue/corpse/whatever to melt down, like with BCs?
No, you just get a useless corpse.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:51 am »

maybe I'm just lucky that way, but I've nearly always have had "at peace" in the civ screen after embark. And maybe I've been just unlucky in still never seeing any caravans from the goblins

Goblin cannot trade without modding because they have no puller animals. Adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] to the EVIL civilization will have them come. Every. Single. Season.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:09 am »

I just had a vision of a goblin caravan with cave dragons carrying the stuff... And then it is recognised as one tht attacked the fort earlier and fled and attacked on the spot. A massacre ensues

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: April 22, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »

How dangerous with this be?:

My dwarves are taking forever to train so they have really terrible skills. They have steel/silver weapons but crappy copper armor with some steel helms/greaves added to some. One guy has an adamantine short sword(not masterful).

It beelined to my fortress, but thankfully I already placed a drawbridge there so I can engage when I want.

So should I fight or wait until I get adamantine weapons and full steel? It moves really fast and it has webs, maybe only marksdwarves should engage?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:59:25 pm by KroganElite »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »

it's just flesh, no armor or strange material, so steel/iron/silver weapons ae fine. Usually a steel helmet is advisable against web spitters, but a FB or titan slamming on the head won't be stopped by any helmet (when webbed, attacks usually automatically target the head). Try to give it a target to web in front and then attack in the flank. Soften it up with bolts to damage arms and legs and such. A Lucky killshot would be kind of an anti-climax though

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: April 22, 2013, 03:17:36 pm »

Bolts, bolts, and more bolts. Don't engage it in melee unless you absolutely have to due to it's webs. IF you are really co-ordinated you can try a pincer attack with a group of expendable melees and a bunch of crossbow dwarves.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: April 22, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »

Is there any way to stop the creation of masterwork items from being entered into legends?  I have tried removing D_D from the MASTERPIECE_ARCHITECTURE and MASTERPIECE_CONSTRUCTION items in announcements.txt but they still appear in the logs and in legends.  I also tried to remove those two lines entirely with no avail.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54:32 pm »

Not that I know of. DF tracks a lot, and masterpiece creation is one of those things.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: April 23, 2013, 12:20:40 pm »

Hi,

I'm getting spammed by messages "... cancels plant seeds: needs plump helmet spawn". I've googled for an answer, and the problem was that all seeds were put in one barrel, and when I was being transported, dwarfs could not take seeds from it (the barrel was regularly transported from stockpile to dining hall, I imagine dwarves were trying to collect seeds from eaten plump helmets).
I've forbidden seeds in all my stockpiles, created a small stockpile (6 tiles) near the farm plot, and allowed barrels: 0, enabled only food>seed>plump helmet seeds. Now tricksy dwarves started using cloth bags instead of barrels, and problem repeats - they run to dining hall with bag in hand, and others can't access it :(

What should I do to solve this problem?
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 422