Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879932 times)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4410 on: April 23, 2013, 12:52:20 pm »

Well sadly,this is only a minor problem for me and I just ignore it. Usually it spams about 5-10 times and then stops, I don't find a need to do anything about it.
Its not THAT bad cmon...

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: April 23, 2013, 12:59:06 pm »

Not a question, just a follow up on my previous question:

How dangerous with this be?:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My dwarves are taking forever to train so they have really terrible skills. They have steel/silver weapons but crappy copper armor with some steel helms/greaves added to some. One guy has an adamantine short sword(not masterful).

It beelined to my fortress, but thankfully I already placed a drawbridge there so I can engage when I want.

So should I fight or wait until I get adamantine weapons and full steel? It moves really fast and it has webs, maybe only marksdwarves should engage?

So it turns out my dwarves were more badass than I thought. While I was beefing up their equipment and figuring out how to get marksdwarves to get their bolts, 2 other FBs appeared in the caverns. To sum it up: 1 web-spitting dinosaur, 1 flying poisonous-biting lizard, and 1 poison-spitting bug.

I decided to just go for it and sent everyone down there. All the Urist McBadasses strode down there and proceeded to fell all three consecutively. Damn. I was surprised.  Seems FBs aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Of course they weren't made of anything metallic, so i'll hold further judgment until I do face one. :)

I do have a question though related to the 2 or so posts before me. Is there a way to disable "no plump helmet spawns" and the "designate object to melt" messages? 97% of my messages are just those 2. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:04:18 pm by KroganElite »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: April 23, 2013, 01:36:26 pm »

(o)rders menu, announcecancellations: never.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: April 23, 2013, 01:41:24 pm »

Hi,

I'm getting spammed by messages "... cancels plant seeds: needs plump helmet spawn". I've googled for an answer, and the problem was that all seeds were put in one barrel, and when I was being transported, dwarfs could not take seeds from it (the barrel was regularly transported from stockpile to dining hall, I imagine dwarves were trying to collect seeds from eaten plump helmets).
I've forbidden seeds in all my stockpiles, created a small stockpile (6 tiles) near the farm plot, and allowed barrels: 0, enabled only food>seed>plump helmet seeds. Now tricksy dwarves started using cloth bags instead of barrels, and problem repeats - they run to dining hall with bag in hand, and others can't access it :(

What should I do to solve this problem?
There is a rather simple solution that will solve like 95% of this from happening.
1)First make two stockpiles, A and B. Stockpile B is your main seed storage stockpile, stockpile A is a tiny stockpile next to B.
2)Stockpile A takes from anywhere and gives to stockpile B. Stockpile A has barrels disabled.
3)Stockpile B only takes from links (so stockpile A and your barrel/bag stockpiles). Stockpile B has barrels enabled.

The end result should be that dwarves carry individual seeds to stockpile A, at which point they quickly pick up a barrel/bag, stuff the seed in it, and then put the bag/barrel back. Since they only carry the bag/barrel for a few tiles, the chance of someone requesting that particular seed container at that particular point in time is very small, and it will remove the majority of your cancellations.

(o)rders menu, announcecancellations: never.
This would technically remove the cancellation messages, yes, but it would also remove some of the more valuable ones like "Dwarf cancels X, goblin ambusher assaulting him".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: April 23, 2013, 02:25:57 pm »

So uhhh..I just gen'd a world full of zombie megabeasts. It seems every megabeast that died and isn't a colossus has been rez'd.  Is this going to make embarks on this world much more dangerous? Evil has fully taken over the two largest mountain ranges in the world. The dwarves are only left a few small mountains to the south and east. I've only ever faced one megabeast which was a dragon and I had a huge break because it got sliced up by serrated disks. Will this make the megabeasts nigh-unkillable?  Should I be worried?

I can see it now...Flying zombie roc wreaking havoc on my walls. *shudder*

Heres the world map (Had to compress it a bit):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:49 pm »

Right now if most megabeasts are zombies it actually makes it easier to kill them since the built-in hp system makes it much easier to kill them then the normal bleed out system (come next version zombie megabeasts will be much harder, however).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: April 23, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »

zombies tend to fall apart rather quickly when hit. It's mostly dangerous if there is a resurrecting biome nearby or a necromancer on the map
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: April 23, 2013, 03:19:10 pm »

Good to know. Thank you guys for the info.

edit: Does anyone know what history does? What are the differences in fortress mode when there is short vs long history?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:23:24 pm by KroganElite »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »

a long history tends to kill off many monsters. Yes they reproduce, but usually more dragons (for example) get killed than are born. Longer histories have fewer megabeasts. Forgotten Beasts and titans are usually mostly still there as they are almost immune to being killed in worldgen.
Civilization will have spread more, meaning more towns, cities, mountainhomes and whatnot, so slightly less choice on where to embark. On the other hand, there is also more chance of civilizations dying out.
Migrants that show up will most usually have and bring their family. They'll also have more skills and a greater variety. A long history has more chances for war, so you have a good chance to get skilled soldiers if that happened.
Necromancers need time. First they have to grow up and start to fear death, then discover the secret and then get enough zombies to make their towers. A longer history means more necromancers.
Were-beasts tend to get out of hand sometimes in long histories, converting entire towns to their 'clan' and making lairs all around. Vampires also tend to accumulate as they rarely die and people still get cursed by the gods as time passes in worldgen

There also has been less time for erosion, which affects rivers and mountains

so in short history:
more megabeasts, fewer (historical) migrants as civilizations havn't had time to breed and spread. Lots of available land. Nearly no necromancers, fewer werebeasts and vampires. Migrant skills mostly farming and such related, except for the pregenerated exceptions - no cities yet, no fighting

I'm probably wrong somewhere and might have missed some points, but that's the general thing
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:00 pm »

How major is the happiness penalty from nakedness? A massive cloth industry is more trouble than I want to go through, and I plan to ignore my the eventual wearing down of my dwarve's clothes. Will an otherwise happy fortress stay happy?

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: April 23, 2013, 06:24:18 pm »

It's a pretty major unhappiness penalty -- "very embarrassed to be uncovered lately" is -20 at max, the same as for a hammering. However, it doesn't really take much to prevent these thoughts. A single clothier's shop can easily meet the demand -- you don't even have to grow pigtails or anything, traders will bring you more than enough cloth.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: April 23, 2013, 09:46:15 pm »

a long history tends to kill off many monsters. Yes they reproduce, but usually more dragons (for example) get killed than are born. Longer histories have fewer megabeasts. Forgotten Beasts and titans are usually mostly still there as they are almost immune to being killed in worldgen.
Civilization will have spread more, meaning more towns, cities, mountainhomes and whatnot, so slightly less choice on where to embark. On the other hand, there is also more chance of civilizations dying out.
Migrants that show up will most usually have and bring their family. They'll also have more skills and a greater variety. A long history has more chances for war, so you have a good chance to get skilled soldiers if that happened.
Necromancers need time. First they have to grow up and start to fear death, then discover the secret and then get enough zombies to make their towers. A longer history means more necromancers.
Were-beasts tend to get out of hand sometimes in long histories, converting entire towns to their 'clan' and making lairs all around. Vampires also tend to accumulate as they rarely die and people still get cursed by the gods as time passes in worldgen

There also has been less time for erosion, which affects rivers and mountains

so in short history:
more megabeasts, fewer (historical) migrants as civilizations havn't had time to breed and spread. Lots of available land. Nearly no necromancers, fewer werebeasts and vampires. Migrant skills mostly farming and such related, except for the pregenerated exceptions - no cities yet, no fighting

I'm probably wrong somewhere and might have missed some points, but that's the general thing

I read somewhere a while ago that megabeasts in worldgen didn't affect what happens in your fort?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: April 24, 2013, 01:45:39 am »

since during worldgen your fort isn't there, it doesn't. It just means that you won't have as many Giants, ettins, dragons, rocs or bronze colossuses in your world so there is a smaller chance they'll attack you when playing. Megabeasts definately do affect the world in worldgen, killing adventurers, eating animals and adventurers, etc

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: April 24, 2013, 03:14:01 am »

How long do dwarves live? Searched wiki for this, couldn't find the answer.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: April 24, 2013, 03:21:25 am »

How long do dwarves live? Searched wiki for this, couldn't find the answer.
They usually die anywhere from 0-160, the life of the dwarf is arduous.
(120-160ish))
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 422