Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805448 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9795 on: March 29, 2014, 09:07:36 am »

I thought ToadyOne made improvement on dorf logic where they stand for when doing constructs?
Yeah, they no longer wall themselves into places from which they can't get out. Sadly, this brought about the bug I'm complaining about.

It's not really that big, either, just a bit of job cancellation spam. But I hate it all the same.
Deleting said unbuilt wall's task and then re-creating it usually fixes it. Just select, hit x, and then place a new one down.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: March 29, 2014, 09:15:06 am »

That tends to always happen when you either directly build on a ramp, or build in a spot where there's a downward ramp immediately next to where you're building, and the dorf tries to build the wall from the ramp. For that reason, you should always either remove the ramps before making the wall, or make them all restricted traffic.
I learned this from making a 20 level high tapered and curved wall. Well, it's supposed to be 25, but it's not finished.
Also, once a dwarf tries to make the wall from the wrong spot, it will never try to make it from anywhere else, so once they get stuck, you have to re-designate.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: March 29, 2014, 09:23:33 am »

Japa explained it better - just redesignate. It can also happen from just building a straight wall, though. I've had it happen on rare occasions.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: March 29, 2014, 10:18:06 am »

Especially if there are lots of dwarves building the wall at once.

I thought ToadyOne made improvement on dorf logic where they stand for when doing constructs?
Yeah, they no longer wall themselves into places from which they can't get out. Sadly, this brought about the bug I'm complaining about.

It's not really that big, either, just a bit of job cancellation spam. But I hate it all the same.

I've had dwarves wall themselves in a few times, usually happens by accident when there are lots of dwarves building since they still think it's ok to build on the inside portion and not realize that it's about to get closed off completely.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: March 29, 2014, 04:16:26 pm »

Seems to me that it happens when they drop the material on that spot and go somewhere. Afterwards they cannot resume to build cos' when they pick designated material they stand on the place to build it and block it with themselves.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: March 30, 2014, 08:12:19 am »

Wait a second... so now a dwarf can't wall himself at all?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:40 am »

I'm sure they'll find a way, somehow
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: March 30, 2014, 08:16:54 am »

Can I sig this? (This thread, and indeed the whole forum, is getting far too sig-worthy...)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: March 30, 2014, 09:01:44 am »

Can I sig this? (This thread, and indeed the whole forum, is getting far too sig-worthy...)

Sure
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Starwing

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: March 30, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »

Lets say we make Necromancer Adventurer, claim site for ourselves and then retire him there. Will there be necromancer sieges in fortress mode if we embark too close to that site?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: March 30, 2014, 07:52:10 pm »

That new plant list is amazing! I really love how international it is. The world is going to feel so much bigger if some villages grow tomatillos and some have chicory instead of the same prickle berries and strawberries everywhere.

Are there going to be new underground plants or mushrooms?
I wonder if the game has become odd.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: March 30, 2014, 08:36:26 pm »

I was going to ask if we lost the fantasy plants, then I realized that it said "list of new plants" instead of "new list of plants".  Hello there significant word order.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: March 30, 2014, 09:37:46 pm »

Great list. Shame there's no agave, but I'm sure the modders will deal with that. And on a related and dwarfy note:

How many of the new plants will dwarves be able to brew?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:40 pm »

Quote from: New plant list
hemp (Cannabis sativa)

Will our dwarves ever get to blaze it all day erryday?

Less flippantly, now that there will be more millable grains available, will we be able to do more things with flours, like making real bread?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:42:37 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: March 30, 2014, 10:35:09 pm »

No, those are elves.
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 748