Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3804584 times)

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9825 on: March 31, 2014, 06:39:53 am »

Goya is called "bitter melon", which is more a description than a name and not something I've ever heard it called, while starfruit is called "carambola" which is not as cool a name and also something I've never heard it called in English.  What is the naming convention here? Whatever it is, it makes no sense.

Again having lived in China, I've never seen or heard of it called "goya"; "bitter melon" predominates as the translation at least there (and it's a direct cognate with the Chinese 苦瓜). My girlfriend is Hakka and her family often uses it in cooking (I'm not a fan though, haha).
I agree about the starfruit though. Never heard of "carambola".

It is in its scientific name.  Carambola also is the name its is known in many countries.

I live in central EU where we use "carambola" and "bitter melon" variant of the names, and have never heard of the other variants.
Either way, it probably doesn't matter that much, since most people have never heard of many plants in DF and will likely have to research them regardless.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:19 am »

Will there be any 'fantasy' plants added as well?
Are there going to be new underground plants or mushrooms?
Toady has mentioned a few times that only real plants will be new for this release. Not sure about real-world mushrooms - there might be some among the garden plants/flowers Toady has mentioned, as those don't seem to be on the list?

That plant list looks really promising and if Toady doesn't utilize it to its full potential, I'm sure modders will.
What are we left with in regards to the finalizations anyway?
Adventure mode information screen, villagers acknowledging god/vampire rulers, and guard/intruder checks. Then the pre-release bugfixing.

Some of the new plants such as cotton, hemp (yes the fibers of marjuana were used), flax, and jute suggest new textiles, so, is it true that we will have new fabrics?

I see papyrus in there, will we be able to make paper right now? Though I guess modders could incorporate Papyrus into some sort of reaction recipe and make paper out of that. It does suggest being able to make paper later on.

In general, if the industry already exists, then the new plants will likely be used accordingly, otherwise likely not (see Toady's mention of lacking coffee and tea drinks). So, the textile plants should be usable for textiles, but papyrus shouldn't.

Now that we have that smell thing, I don't suppose Durian will have that intense smell that it has? Never smelled it myself in real life though, but I've heard of it.
We've only heard of creatures smelling, and we've been told that ambient smells aren't in (or at least mostly).

Edit: I notice that coconuts aren't in, yet you mentioned them in a devlog last july, what happened to those?
As mentioned earlier, the existing palms are the cocos palms. Everyone should remember that we have a good number of real-world trees already.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: March 31, 2014, 07:22:30 am »

Well, in theory you could make coffee and tea in a brewery. The strong flavor of a Dwarven Irish coffee for sure would become the sensation among tree-hugging hippies, humans, demons and anything between. Dwarfbucks sprawling all over the world now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: March 31, 2014, 07:40:15 am »

With the addition of plants used in paper-making, will the types of paper made from animal skin also be an option?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:29 am »

Lets say we make Necromancer Adventurer, claim site for ourselves and then retire him there. Will there be necromancer sieges in fortress mode if we embark too close to that site?

Necromancer sieges require that the necromancer gather zombies and build their tower, and that's still a worldgen-only thing.

Will our dwarves ever get to blaze it all day erryday?

Bloat43, THINGS TO SMOKE, (Future): Things to smoke, pipes, smoke circle events and so on.

Goya is called "bitter melon", which is more a description than a name and not something I've ever heard it called, while starfruit is called "carambola" which is not as cool a name and also something I've never heard it called in English.  What is the naming convention here? Whatever it is, it makes no sense.

"Bitter melon" is a label often seen at Chinese restaurants, FWIW.

With the addition of plants used in paper-making, will the types of paper made from animal skin also be an option?

Not yet, but it's planned:
Core100, NEW LANGUAGE ITEMS, (Future): Parchment, vellum and their buddies then books, songs, poems... all for your entertainment (and horror, if there are random poems). Requires Core99.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9830 on: March 31, 2014, 10:09:47 am »

What is long yam, and does it go well with long pork?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:56 am »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: March 31, 2014, 11:55:20 am »

What is long yam, and does it go well with long pork?
Let me google that for you will ya?
Good job being sanctimonious and then getting it wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioscorea_opposita
A longan is totally unrelated.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: March 31, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »

Good job being sanctimonious and then getting it wrong.
Thanks a lot! It's not an easy job and most of the time it goes by unappreciated.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: March 31, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »

If you want smell something rotten try Ginkgo. Ever wondered why in Europe and America primarily  male trees are "planted"? Its the smell of the female trees fruit when they rippen. These fruits/seeds produce Butyric Acid among other things.

I noticed that toady only added "useful" plants (leaving Woad and madder out which were a mayor source of blue & Red dye in the middleages). We dont have mayor "cultural flowers" like roses or tulips with this update.

The List is a very good start though.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:52 pm »

How did you say "Major" as "Mayor" twice?  :P

And also, I think it's Canadis Chincera (Approximate spelling, can't remember exactly what it's called) that has, in its female form, an interesting smell.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: March 31, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »

How did you say "Major" as "Mayor" twice?  :P
Maybe speaks Spanish? That was a common mistake among the Hispanic folks back home.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: March 31, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »

If it weren't for Th4DwArfY1 I shouldn't had noticed, being spanish speaking myself. Yes, it's a common mistake to make.

I'm wondering if we are going to be able to do more flours with some of the new plants.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: March 31, 2014, 01:44:00 pm »

most likely...a lot of those plants on that list were fiber bearing and flour friendly plants. And cotton...which is a nice source of fabric

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »

I don't know about all the people eager to see cannabis put to non-clothing use. I mean, can you imagine how weird the dwarves might start acting? It'd be reefer madness! They might completely forget they watched their children die at the hands of vicious goblin raiders because they've just eaten a meal in, like, a totally awesome dining room...

...oh, wait...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 748