Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813139 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9075 on: February 03, 2014, 07:19:49 pm »

We must therefore construct a danger room to train said skill!
I don't think that poking Toady with auto-jab broomsticks will do the trick; he might get better at dodging and moving in armor, but we still won't know when the next release will be.

Unless you have a different design in mind...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »

We don't want him to end up with a smashed fingernail and get an infection though. :D

Latest devlog, more bugfixing, tweaks, and fleshing out features. Good, good, one day closer to release, whenever that is. :D

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »

I don't think that poking Toady with auto-jab broomsticks will do the trick; he might get better at dodging and moving in armor, but we still won't know when the next release will be.

I'm thinking a lot of levers and doors connected to a dwarven calculator. He's presented a number he has to match. If Toady gets it through the right lever pulls, he gets a mug of coffee. If he gets it wrong or takes too long, he'll get a jab from a broomstick.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: February 04, 2014, 03:09:49 am »

I'm thinking a lot of levers and doors connected to a dwarven calculator. He's presented a number he has to match. If Toady gets it through the right lever pulls, he gets a mug of coffee. If he gets it wrong or takes too long, he'll get a jab from a broomstick.

You know, I'm not quite sure how that is going to help. It's like sending your military to train in the danger room while there's a siege. Sure, they'll be good at fighting, but in the end it won't matter.

Also, I believe the skill mentioned was OUR skill at calculating time to release. I know! Everyone makes a guess, and whoever gets it wrong gets poked by sticks in neck-high water! Or has to pull one of two levers. One opens a door, the other floods the room with magma. Your choice.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: February 04, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »

With all this talk of Jumping over single wide pits and channels, will we get invaders able to jump discovered\known trap tiles now?
I once built a heavily trap lined walk-way spiraling  30Z up a Volcano, expecting invaders to eventually work their way down, while trying not to dodge off the single wide path...
Until the first Gobo died on the first trap, and the lot of them stopped and sat there

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: February 04, 2014, 02:31:15 pm »

With all this talk of Jumping over single wide pits and channels, will we get invaders able to jump discovered\known trap tiles now?
I once built a heavily trap lined walk-way spiraling  30Z up a Volcano, expecting invaders to eventually work their way down, while trying not to dodge off the single wide path...
Until the first Gobo died on the first trap, and the lot of them stopped and sat there
Was it the commander? I remember something about goblin squads hanging around near their commander, regardless of whether he's caged or dead or whatever, at least until they break and run. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: February 04, 2014, 02:40:41 pm »

Will fortress starting scenarios be in the new release?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: February 04, 2014, 02:47:59 pm »

Will fortress starting scenarios be in the new release?

No:
@Bay12Games I know you probably won't even hear this... but what are the chances of no hard-coded waves of migrants for the next release?

@Pakislav No change this time, but with hill dwarves now, later we get fort surroundings and start scenarios, which'll include that option.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:49:36 pm by Footkerchief »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: February 04, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

That's disappointing. I suppose we won't be getting more than 7 dwarves to a reclaim party either?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:53 pm »

Was it the commander? I remember something about goblin squads hanging around near their commander, regardless of whether he's caged or dead or whatever, at least until they break and run.

Certainly it was the commander, but it only happens when caged traps are involved. There are no news or comments yet about invaders jumping traps, and better invading routes have been discussed in an earlier FotF, but I don't think they're there yet.

Also, Ninjago'd by Footkerchief.

Quote from: MrWillSauce
That's disappointing. I suppose we won't be getting more than 7 dwarves to a reclaim party either?
The idea of starting scenarios and the number of embarking dwarves is to make sense of the size and reason for your expedition, so it's a positive guess to say that when one of them gets implemented, the other one will follow suit.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:09 pm »

0001598: Enemy squads will never abandon their caged leader

Nope:
Quote from: Bandreus
If we happen to reclaim a fort which fell to a FB or other MB, and if the beast happened to set its lair there, are the initial 7 to actually confront it? I.e. will the beast be there when the party arrives?

Calathar answered this, but it was a little farther down the thread so I just wanted to confirm that the beast will indeed be there.  I haven't done anything like what we had before with many squads of armed dwarves (that's all going to be up to start scenarios later), so you'll just have to be cautious until you can manage.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:53:31 pm by Footkerchief »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: February 04, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »

That is really disappointing. I wanted to do some real, hardcore Moria reclaim stuff.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: February 04, 2014, 03:33:21 pm »

I think there might be a DFhack script that lets you change the number and race of playable creatures you embark with. I couldn't tell you how to use it, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:02 pm »

0001598: Enemy squads will never abandon their caged leader

There were no cages involved, just staggered weapon and stonefall traps.  I tried to keep the first post brief, but to expand I was able to gradually get some of them down past a few traps by repeatedly sending mechanics to try and work on the lower bridges. But they it seemed that each squad would only dodge past discovered traps until hitting a new one then stop.

Next time I will make a two wide path and stager the traps around corners so that they will path into them, but have a clear route all the way so they keep moving, and bracket the weapon traps with stone falls to encourage them to dodge poorly to doom.
Edit: forgot to close a quote block.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:24:12 pm by Gashcozokon »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:17 pm »

What with climbing and jumping being a thing, have you considered toning down the ramps on mountainous terrain? As it stands, it sure is easy for dwarfmode units to just stroll up the side of a cliff.

I've always wanted to play a cliffside fortress where the perilous terrain actually performed its role as a natural barrier. Invaders showing up on the site at the top of a cliff (despite that path being blocked as far as the world map is concerned) is quite the nuisance.
Edit: And on that note, do travelling armies respect the path of entry when arriving on a player's site?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:32:19 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 748