Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769350 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9090 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »

What with climbing and jumping being a thing, have you considered toning down the ramps on mountainous terrain? As it stands, it sure is easy for dwarfmode units to just stroll up the side of a cliff, which is especially annoying since it makes it very hard for a player to keep track of them through the Z-levels.

Suggestions go in the Suggestions forum, and changing the terrain isn't a good solution to an interface problem.  Displaying multiple z-levels at once is the way to go.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:06 pm »

Perhaps I should edit that part out entirely then, since that was not the point of the question.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: February 04, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »

I forgot to thank Toady for the answers as soon as the FotF came up, so thank you Toady.

However, this... This.
Are we betting on estimates again, dabbling release-guessers? It seems that late February-early March is the way to go, but "serious bug list" might hint otherwise.

Amped-up excitement aside, what's the worst that could happen with a recently baked release? Being unplayable? Or is there something even murkier, like PC-wide issues or something like that? Also, is the Windows release coupled by the Mac and Linux versions, or do these come just a bit later?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: February 04, 2014, 09:03:32 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Moving along through bits and pieces -- fixed a problem with the code that groups armies together when people walk off the map, homogenized some data between local and more abstracted site takeovers/reclaims, worked some with armies coming in from the edges and where they are placed, and fixed some more of that start-on-the-roof stuff. The list of feature items that is left is about half as long as it was ten days ago. There's the serious bug list after that, and then people can mess around with the rough cut (veterans of releases should recall and share with others that there is no polish phase... that is some decades away).
My thought process went something like "Mm hmm, Mmm hmm, I didn't know about that roof stuff, Oh cool we can get a release soo- or maybe not".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: February 04, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Moving along through bits and pieces -- fixed a problem with the code that groups armies together when people walk off the map, homogenized some data between local and more abstracted site takeovers/reclaims, worked some with armies coming in from the edges and where they are placed, and fixed some more of that start-on-the-roof stuff. The list of feature items that is left is about half as long as it was ten days ago. There's the serious bug list after that, and then people can mess around with the rough cut (veterans of releases should recall and share with others that there is no polish phase... that is some decades away).
"Oh cool we can get a release soo- or maybe not"

I had the opposite thought. "Oh crap, release may be in less than 30 days."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: February 04, 2014, 09:32:35 pm »

I think Toady just said "the release is soon!" but without committing to it because... yah know, Toady, deadlines, oil and water.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:55 pm »

Are we betting on estimates again, dabbling release-guessers? It seems that late February-early March is the way to go, but "serious bug list" might hint otherwise.

I'd guess that the remaining features will take 2-3 weeks, then a similar length of time for bug fixing.  I'd be surprised but not shocked if it was not in March. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:32 pm »

Nah, March seems likely. We can't assume ten days for the rest of the notes; but we can take that as a guess, since he's as likely to burn through what's left as to get stuck. (I hope.) Then, give two to three weeks for bugfixing...and we end up with a probable March release. I suspect the first really stable release won't come out until mid-April, though. Hold onto your hats, gentlemen.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: February 05, 2014, 01:24:59 am »

Aye, remaining features might not take long, but bugfixing most likely will. Especially since bugs breed bugs. Sometime March looks probable, and then a few weeks or months after that 'til a good stable version is achieved. Also,

Quote from: Toady One
(veterans of releases should recall and share with others that there is no polish phase... that is some decades away)

this made me snort milk out my nose. Reality is now a cartoon.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: February 05, 2014, 01:27:33 am »

Get hype, men.
Going with the majority here and putting my bets on early-mid March.

Good thing that I don't play much in fortress mode (though this release might push me to do it, what with the reclaimable forts in which I can skip or at least partially omit the most boring phase), but I'm pretty sure that the adventure mode's going to be just as buggy as the fort mode.
And it's going to be bloody awesome, I can tell.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: February 05, 2014, 02:45:59 am »

We are all alpha-testers here. Finding bugs (and reporting them) is part of the fun.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: February 05, 2014, 03:21:46 am »

Toady fullfils his predictions after all.

He said that the release would be in march. He just forgot to mention the year.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: February 05, 2014, 03:54:03 am »

He just needs to say "the release will be at midnight" and then suddenly his predictions become very easy to fulfill.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: February 05, 2014, 04:23:36 am »

He just needs to say "the release will be at midnight" and then suddenly his predictions become very easy to fulfill.

10 more days, then serious bugs, then release. Which means February 14th - March 1st?

HFS, its about time.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #9104 on: February 05, 2014, 05:11:25 am »

Are we getting close...? Excuse me, I gotta do a little dance.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 748