Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806218 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8910 on: January 25, 2014, 01:18:08 am »

The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it. I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift. Today I cleaned up some dwarf mode problems with their generally broken minds. A soldier failed to move when confronted with a kill-ordered adder through a series of bug fixes, and when I finally got some movement, he ran away and climbed up a tree. He has "great difficulty mastering his fear when confronted with danger", so I guess that wasn't a bug, although he didn't seem to be afraid of heights at all. His friends on the squad managed to take care of the snake.

Rofl on that!

I guess the tree pathfinding is fine.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:28 am »

It'll be interesting to see how many new players that will attribute this to some sort of bug, not knowing that DF actually simulates things at this level :P

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:54 am »

So, Manveru, may I take the liberty of breaking up your questions?
Does a dwarf take whether he detests or has a phobia of a certain creature type into account when yielding or running away?

Does a dwarf take the size and/or rarity of a foe into account?

Does he take allies he may have with him into account? What if they are part of his squad, but half the map away en route at the moment?

And how does he actually take it all into account? Are two sets of variables added up and compared, or is there more to it?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: January 25, 2014, 01:26:24 am »

3 is a yes, I'm pretty sure, at least for the first part.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: January 25, 2014, 01:28:16 am »

As informative as all that is it sadly doesn't really answer either of the 2 questions. Not that it really matters that much, I'm sure it'll make it in later on either way. would be nice to know though ^^

I believe the main factor on a dwarf by dwarf basis is personality traits, which have been redone for this release.  If you go to a dwarf's info in fort mode it will tell you they "doesn't like people, get frustrated easily" that kind of thing, I believe now it will also tell you how well they handle fear.

Does a dwarf take whether he detests or has a phobia of a certain creature type into account when yielding or running away?

Does a dwarf take the size and/or rarity of a foe into account?

Does he take allies he may have with him into account? What if they are part of his squad, but half the map away en route at the moment?

And how does he actually take it all into account? Are two sets of variables added up and compared, or is there more to it?

1. No idea
2. Rarity isn't tracked currently, size almost certainly will be accounted for but I don't remember it ever being confirmed
3. Yes, the size of the two opposed factions are taken into account
4.  Its likely comparing all the variables and then doing a random roll, same as normal.  But Toady hasn't talked about specifics on this one yet either.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: January 25, 2014, 01:36:29 am »

As informative as all that is it sadly doesn't really answer either of the 2 questions. Not that it really matters that much, I'm sure it'll make it in later on either way. would be nice to know though ^^

I believe the main factor on a dwarf by dwarf basis is personality traits, which have been redone for this release.  If you go to a dwarf's info in fort mode it will tell you they "doesn't like people, get frustrated easily" that kind of thing, I believe now it will also tell you how well they handle fear.

Well yeah, I get that the personality traits will be the major deciding factor, I was rather inquiring a bit more into how/if they'd synergy with the rest of his personality for now, and whether there's any kind of "roll" or randomness influencing the outcome ^^

snip

No problem at all. Like EnigmaticHat mentioned though, the first part of your third question was answered in the DFtalk quote a few posts back.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: January 25, 2014, 04:50:54 am »

Now, I can imagine two reactions when encountering a creature the soldier has a phobia of; either he panics and runs away or panics and attacks wildly, with little thought of self-defence.

Is it possible for a dwarf to panic and fight in that state, or will running always be the chosen option when broken by fear?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:45 am »

I'm not sure if someone asked this before, but just in case.
When escalating combat from non-lethal to lethal, will both creatures simultaneously escalate combat or do they do this independently of what their opponent is trying to do?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: January 25, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »

01/24/2014  The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it. I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift. Today I cleaned up some dwarf mode problems with their generally broken minds. A soldier failed to move when confronted with a kill-ordered adder through a series of bug fixes, and when I finally got some movement, he ran away and climbed up a tree. He has "great difficulty mastering his fear when confronted with danger", so I guess that wasn't a bug, although he didn't seem to be afraid of heights at all. His friends on the squad managed to take care of the snake.

I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift.

I'll stay on a day schedule

day schedule

Is this a sign of the apocalypse? The release is nigh!

While you are working fixing the bugs from the personality rewrite and AI changes, have you implemented improvements to the military (besides climbing) or not yet? Are we now less likely to have trouble getting soldiers to shoot through fortifications?

It would be great if the apparently-necessary pre-release A.I. fixes fixed that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:42:04 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: January 25, 2014, 04:47:05 pm »

Haven't heard anything about military improvements; all he's doing right now is fixing stuff related to the dwarven soul overhaul.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: January 25, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »

That dwarf sounds like Samwell Tarley.
Considering this development will Dwarven soldiers prone to fear run away when they start to lose friends to goblins? and visa-versa?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: January 25, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »

Samwell Tarly wouldn't have run up a tree; he would have pissed his pants and fallen to the floor, shivering and waiting to die. That, or he would have driven a knife through the adder's neck like a badass. I don't think Sam is capable of climbing trees under any conditions anyway.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: January 25, 2014, 05:43:39 pm »

Considering this development will Dwarven soldiers prone to fear run away when they start to lose friends to goblins? and visa-versa?

Yes. This was one of the first examples ever given of yielding.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: January 25, 2014, 07:56:40 pm »

01/24/2014  The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it. I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift. Today I cleaned up some dwarf mode problems with their generally broken minds. A soldier failed to move when confronted with a kill-ordered adder through a series of bug fixes, and when I finally got some movement, he ran away and climbed up a tree. He has "great difficulty mastering his fear when confronted with danger", so I guess that wasn't a bug, although he didn't seem to be afraid of heights at all. His friends on the squad managed to take care of the snake.

I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift.

I'll stay on a day schedule

day schedule

Is this a sign of the apocalypse? The release is nigh!

While you are working fixing the bugs from the personality rewrite and AI changes, have you implemented improvements to the military (besides climbing) or not yet? Are we now less likely to have trouble getting soldiers to shoot through fortifications?

It would be great if the apparently-necessary pre-release A.I. fixes fixed that.
I don't think so, on any count. For one, I've heard chatter about the update being "in the next few days" for several weeks now; skepticism is now at maximum speed. I don't think there is any improvements regarding military AI, unless he prevents them from scaling their own walls and attacking the enemy (which, according to release notes, could well happen often if you don't have two-tile high fortifications or a ditch in front or something).

This is just bug-fixing. Bug fixing is extensive. He is still adding things too, like the decision to add climbing recently.

It opens other questions though.So a dwarf ran up a tree, does that mean one of the situations in which they climb includes running away? Will civilians do that too? When will they decide it's safe?

EDIT:Devlog:
Quote from: 01/25/2014 Toady One
I continued on to clean up various dwarf mode issues today. Updated how animals think of their encounters (there will be animal-animal interactions now in dwarf mode, however that'll work out), updated meandering, updated sleeping/resting, updated some of the dig/channel/construct ai (just to get it back where it was, such as that is), fixed up vehicle collisions, and a projectile issue. I also updated the quarry leaf jobs to support growths -- a side effect of this was that the "material reaction product" stuff you might be familiar with from modding now also has a similar tag to send over an item type with the material, so a single reaction can produce different item types depending on the incoming reagent's material. I'm not sure how useful that is overall, but it could cut down on some clutter.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:16:40 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:16 am »

a side effect of this was that the "material reaction product" stuff you might be familiar with from modding now also has a similar tag to send over an item type with the material,

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 748