Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805989 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8940 on: January 27, 2014, 10:09:12 am »

Predator prey interactions, neat, also more bug fixing, we're getting there.

Since there only seem to be two native herbivores in the caverns (at least that are explictly said to be herbivores, if not in the raws) and everything else seems to be either carnivorous or omnivorous, I'm wondering how you will deal with omnivore vs omnivore interactions?

Also, would it be possible for a pack of crundles (which are carnivores btw) to hunt together and attack a Rutherer or Draltha? Basically, will we see pack hunting behavior in this version even if it's an emergent behavior?

I know we see pack behavior already in the form of a pack of dingoes or wolves attacking an adventurer, but I'm talking in the context of predator-prey interactions.

Crundles are smaller than a dwarf and Drunians and Rutherers are around Rhino sized, so a lone crundle would be flattened, but a pack of them could certainly do damage, think utahraptors vs sauropods.

Edit: corrected the dromaeosaurid species.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:30:27 pm by smjjames »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: January 27, 2014, 01:14:11 pm »

Velociraptors were actually pretty small, about 15kg (the same mass as a large housecat). There is no evidence to show they ever tried to kill anything rhino sized. A better analogy would be wolves taking down bison and bull moose, though the size difference there is much less. If you're just so small, no amount of numbers will make a difference, since fitting enough muscle, teeth, and claws to do the job requires a larger frame. I could see crundles taking down elk birds (also herbivores btw), troglodytes, and anything approximately man-sized or smaller, but not dralthas or rutherers. There are plenty of cavern creatures man-sized or smaller for them to eat, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: January 27, 2014, 01:37:28 pm »

I think crundles could be scavengers instead of predators, giving their size.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: January 27, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »

Velociraptors were actually pretty small, about 15kg (the same mass as a large housecat).

15 pounds is a large housecat.  15 kilograms is more like a German shepherd.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:37 pm »

Velociraptors were actually pretty small, about 15kg (the same mass as a large housecat).

15 pounds is a large housecat.  15 kilograms is more like a German shepherd.

German Shepherds are large sized dogs. The breed standard height at the withers is 60–65 cm (24–26 in) for males and 55–60 cm (22–24 in) for females. The weight standard is 30–40 kilograms (66–88 lb) for males and 22–32 kilograms (49–71 lb) for females.

Though you are correct about the cat.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: January 27, 2014, 02:20:48 pm »

Okay, a German shepherd puppy, same thing right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »

I wasn't sure whether elk birds were herbivorous or omnivorous as it doesn't really say.

As for the velociraptors, I was mixing the larger utahraptors (which are man sized btw) with their smaller cousins and yeah wolves are a better example.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:16 pm »

Waving human for scale:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I did not know they got so big o.o

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: January 27, 2014, 02:38:33 pm »

Yea, I actually was thinking of the utahraptors but said velociraptor for whatever reason. I edited my post from earlier so that it makes better sense.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: January 27, 2014, 02:55:45 pm »

Ummm... which makes me wonder if anyone has tried a Jurassic Park mod...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: January 27, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »

Ummm... which makes me wonder if anyone has tried a Jurassic Park mod...

I know there is one person who was/is modding in all kinds of dinosaurs.

Edit: thread linkage, still active even. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123137.0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:05:35 pm by smjjames »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:50 pm »

Point being, though, that crundles are just tiny. Try pitting 15 of them at once (on the same team) against a Draltha in the Arena. The draltha stomps each and every one of them because the size difference is just too great. Far more-so than wolves and bison, or wolves and grizzly bears (they do eat them sometimes).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: January 27, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »

I wasn't really sure just how small the crundles were though and their large groups made me think  of packs and thus my question about pack hunting.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: January 27, 2014, 03:54:29 pm »

Agree with the undercover Huge Jackman here, they would need to hunt in swarms, not packs to hunt down anything larger than an animal man from the caves.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »

Everybody understands what I was trying to ask though, right? Even if my example doesn't make much sense and I was thinking of the caverns at that moment and crundles were the first thing to come to mind.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 748