Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805939 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8925 on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:22 am »

a side effect of this was that the "material reaction product" stuff you might be familiar with from modding now also has a similar tag to send over an item type with the material,

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

First thing I thought when I saw that was "I bet Putnam will be happy."

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: January 26, 2014, 12:37:05 am »

a side effect of this was that the "material reaction product" stuff you might be familiar with from modding now also has a similar tag to send over an item type with the material,

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

...? Explain to me this ecstatic reaction, I cannot parse what Toady is saying.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: January 26, 2014, 12:42:33 am »

A reaction that can take a generic plant as a material and output the correct item+material each time automatically, making farming micromanagement dead? Yes.

A reaction that generates an "optimized" weapon for each material, such as always outputting a hammer for silver or a sword for adamantine? Yep.

These are just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: January 26, 2014, 12:48:06 am »

A reaction that can take a generic plant as a material and output the correct item+material each time automatically, making farming micromanagement dead? Yes.

A reaction that generates an "optimized" weapon for each material, such as always outputting a hammer for silver or a sword for adamantine? Yep.

These are just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I get the optimized weapon thing, but what's special about the farming stuff? The farthest I've usually delved into that stuff is pig tail/rope reed production for clothing and sometimes even remembering to process quarry bushes to bags.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: January 26, 2014, 04:06:49 am »

Updated how animals think of their encounters (there will be animal-animal interactions now in dwarf mode, however that'll work out), updated meandering, updated sleeping/resting

Does that include breeding thus are the Spores gone for the Forts own animals? Will Males be aggressive to other Males say if you have territorial Animals? Hunter/prey relationships? Will pets be begging for food? Will cats knock over dwarven Keyboards?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:59 am »

Updated how animals think of their encounters (there will be animal-animal interactions now in dwarf mode, however that'll work out), updated meandering, updated sleeping/resting

Does that include breeding thus are the Spores gone for the Forts own animals? Will Males be aggressive to other Males say if you have territorial Animals? Hunter/prey relationships? Will pets be begging for food? Will cats knock over dwarven Keyboards?

Will we need to start a nobles cattle raising program in order to keep our local War Grizly Bear community fed? In other words, are carnivores going to actually need to keep themselves fed up appropriately just like grazers?
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: January 26, 2014, 06:08:44 am »

Thinking about encounters is neither breeding nor getting hungry. That's reading far too much into that sentence. Presumably wild predators will attack nonpredator animals, who will flee from the predators, but don't expect elaborate food webs.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: January 26, 2014, 06:10:30 am »

Thinking about encounters is neither breeding nor getting hungry. That's reading far too much into that sentence. Presumably wild predators will attack nonpredator animals, who will flee from the predators, but don't expect elaborate food webs.

Given this is Toady we're talking about, the next version might as well called Spore+1.
With, hopefully, 100% less spore-breeding.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: January 26, 2014, 06:35:06 am »

While all that is doubtlessly planned I doubt Toady would put off the release further by even more feature creep like that. Sure, making all animals require food should technically be an easy change, but since he hasn't enabled it thus far I assume there's a good reason. Proper mating would probably take a bit more work.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: January 26, 2014, 06:53:11 am »

(there will be animal-animal interactions now in dwarf mode, however that'll work out)
AW YESSS. Baby steps.

Yeah, I agree, I doubt that it will be more than that. Though  that could possibly to a bit more interesting gameplay already. You might have to control predator populations a bit more active to secure your own game, or corral animals in some way. Well, that's wrong, you can corral them already with pastures. But build some defense for jumping/climbing predators.

Edit:

Will these animal-animal encounters be both in adventure mode and fortress mode? Would predators now enter adventure mode cities and prey on livestock?

That would be kind of a nice little beginner quest. "Hero! We're plagued by a fox! Slay him!" And it could sometimes turn out that it's not a fox that kills all these hens but actually some sort of night creature or a reluctant vampire. You might even be able to let the vampire live, because he doesn't prey on humanoids or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:59:13 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: January 26, 2014, 12:48:20 pm »

That would be kind of a nice little beginner quest. "Hero! We're plagued by a fox! Slay him!" And it could sometimes turn out that it's not a fox that kills all these hens but actually some sort of night creature or a reluctant vampire. You might even be able to let the vampire live, because he doesn't prey on humanoids or whatever.

"If you seek to prove yourself, we are in dire need of assistance. At night, something feeds on our livestock. Find the culprit or culprits, and slay them, lest we run out of food!"

And then you have to go to the animal pens at night and wait to see what attacks. It could be a fox, a pack of wolves, a goblin scout party, night creature or werebeast, or hell, even a megabeast. Or simply a peasant with anger management issues (which, with the new personalities, is actually possible, I'd guess.)

Now, this could turn out to be a very easy peasant-level quest or a suicidal mission, depending on the culprit. Fun.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: January 26, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »

@Wimopy
Yeah! That's exactly what I had in mind.
Edit:
And it even works nicely together with the new stealth and footprint tracking mechanics.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31:42 pm »

New Devlog. I'm imagining a hunter, a fox and two rabbits; all just standing still staring at each other, trying to mentally decide who is on whose side.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:42 am »

Quote from: devlog
Merged the in-play morale calculations with the world gen combat info so that they can assist each other and be encouraged to continue to simultaneously make more sense over time.

I guess this means that combatants can use the simplified combat system to make a quick educated guess about whether they'll win?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: January 27, 2014, 09:37:43 am »

Quote from: devlog
Merged the in-play morale calculations with the world gen combat info so that they can assist each other and be encouraged to continue to simultaneously make more sense over time.

I guess this means that combatants can use the simplified combat system to make a quick educated guess about whether they'll win?

Maybe it is both ways? So we won't have a elf farmer dueling a dragon in world gen.

Toady, could you clarify that?
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 748