Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808132 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7230 on: August 04, 2013, 08:12:23 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
...there is a climbing skill now, and things like constructed block walls are harder to climb than constructed rough walls...
Please, please tell me- Does this mean invaders who potentially have the climbing skill can and will be scaling our otherwise impenetrable walls?
I am more excited about this possibility than just about everything else so far.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: August 04, 2013, 08:23:56 am »

...there is a climbing skill now, and things like constructed block walls are harder to climb than constructed rough walls...
Please, please tell me- Does this mean invaders who potentially have the climbing skill can and will be scaling our otherwise impenetrable walls?
I am more excited about this possibility than just about everything else so far.
No, not yet, but Toady wants it to happen, too.

Quote from: LoSboccacc
so are we getting climbing invaders?

It's not likely to happen for this release, although I'm enthusiastic about having that kind of churning overrun feeling happen to you eventually.  There's a chance some part of it'll happen automatically when I look back at climbing AI before the release, but it's a coin toss.
Since then, Toady hasn't mentioned adding climbing AI for invaders. Unless he wants to keep it secret, it isn't likely to happen.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: August 04, 2013, 10:23:11 am »

Will we be getting generated fotress screenshots, or will those be a surprise?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: August 04, 2013, 11:26:57 am »

Is the Adventure mode questlog going to be made slightly more useful?
There's already a key (m) that's supposed to show information, but instead of something minorly useful like a log of the quest giver's words, it only shows the name and race of the target.

A log of the questgiver's words would at least provide you with a description of your target, because something like "Kill Atir Ragthroat | dwarf" doesn't provide you with information of what Atir really is.
Is he a werewolf? Is he a vampire? Or something else due to mods? Who knows, certainly not you if you forgot it! Which is very likely with a lot of quests.. And this is where a quest log should come in, after all.

but alas, all the quest log says to you only to kill Atir Ragthroat, a dwarf.
The problem comes in when you forget that Atir Ragthroat is a master vampire due to you playing with a mod that can do that, and that master vampires are actually very lethal.
Now, if only you had logged that little detail in your quest log, you'd know exactly who's who. But currently you don't, and that's a bit silly.

oh_no

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: August 04, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »

How easy will it be to climb log walls made from wood, or walls made from metal bars? If walls made from metal bars are like a sheet of metal, would it be possible to climb them (in-game) at all, or would they act as smooth rock walls?

It's not likely to happen for this release, although I'm enthusiastic about having that kind of churning overrun feeling happen to you eventually.  There's a chance some part of it'll happen automatically when I look back at climbing AI before the release, but it's a coin toss.
Since then, Toady hasn't mentioned adding climbing AI for invaders. Unless he wants to keep it secret, it isn't likely to happen.

Climbing A.I. may be implemented in DFhack, as with Digging A.I..
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »

Will modders be able to specify plans for a tree's shape and appearance in the RAWs?

for example, will we be able to specify that a tree has almost no leaves, or that its branches only form above a certain height, and to a certain length?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: August 04, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »

Will modders be able to specify plans for a tree's shape and appearance in the RAWs?

for example, will we be able to specify that a tree has almost no leaves, or that its branches only form above a certain height, and to a certain length?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg4454200#msg4454200

To be exact:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:32:52 pm by Putnam »

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:31 am »

OK, so it's not coming yet, but I'm having so many happy daydreams about climbing invaders...

Making the only entrance to your buttoned fortress a tall barely-climbable block wall, with scores of arrow slits opposite.....
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »

OK, so it's not coming yet, but I'm having so many happy daydreams about climbing invaders...

Making the only entrance to your buttoned fortress a tall barely-climbable block wall, with scores of arrow slits opposite.....
That's an interesting point - adding climbing skill for invaders might actually make it easier to defend a fortress, as you could just pull up a drawbridge etc. to block your main entrance, leaving the poor gobbos trying to climb a sheer wall.  If the wall was tall enough, you might not even need to bother with the archers...

Maybe Toady has already thought of this sort of thing, and is waiting to add climbing at the same time he adds digging and some kind of AI to make "intelligent" decisions about the best way for invaders to assault a fortress?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: August 05, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »

If only they could blow up walls with dead pigs...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »

Now that combat has been updated, can you give us any details (or equations/code) on how weapon-target interactions work?  Preferably also with some notion of how the numbers in the raws affect things.

You also mentioned that skulls are harder now than before versus blunt objects, does that apply to other things, like armor or other body parts?  Does this mean blunt weapons are now less effective than they previously were?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: August 05, 2013, 05:18:26 pm »

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: August 05, 2013, 05:36:26 pm »

weapon-target interactions work?

???

Like when a dwarf swings a bronze axe at another dwarf with a iron mail shirt, what happens?  How do the weapon & armor raws affect whether the defender gets limbs removed, or bones broken, or no damage at all?  Does it multiply the dwarf's strength times the weapon weight vs the armor material shear fracture strength times some constant?  What about against a bronze breastplate, or leather cloak, or silk cap (or 3 caps for that matter, since many items can have multiple copies worn simultaneously)?

People have done arena testing, but there's a lot of variability to that, with relatively few conclusions drawn (those being armor material levels (copper < iron < steel) and some weapon generalities (blunt is better for breaking bones, slicing better for chopping off limbs))

edited: typos
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:47:18 pm by theqmann »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: August 05, 2013, 05:48:35 pm »

Iirc there shouldnt be much change except for some sturdier skulls. The most changes regard the pacing of making making it quicker and more versatile with reaction-moments.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: August 06, 2013, 07:54:29 am »

Quote from: PigtailLlama
With the inclusion of climbing, will this also mean including tools to assist with climbing, such as grappling hooks and stakes to nail down and tie rope to them? Will wells become access points to caves and caverns?

Nah, we had originally wanted to get to some of that, but it has all been pushed along, I think.  Do you mean wells in human towns?  I don't remember what they do now if there's a shallow layer.  Generally the layers are too far down.  Or do you mean a well you make in your fort?  We'll need climbing AI for that, which is either going to be non-existent or very shallow for this release.

Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 748