Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807964 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7215 on: August 01, 2013, 11:47:16 am »

And so DF2013 continues to be the most delayed Dwarf Fortress version to date.
Wonder if we'll get it this year or should be start talking about DF2014?

According to my 40d folder's release notes (pretty sure that was the last 40d version, wiki suggests it to be so)
Release notes for 0.28.181.40d (September 6, 2008)

The subsequent version was the April 1st DF2010 release. Wait period of 572 days.

Latest current version of DF was released on June 4 2012, aka 423 days since last release. Thus, we have 149 days before this becomes the longest interversion period of DF history. That means Toady has to release before December 28th to come in below that threshold.

All I want for Christmas is a new version of DF!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: August 01, 2013, 12:28:50 pm »

Given the number of new features and their intrinsic complexity I wouldn't count on it. However that's only a mere observation from a non really informed point of view.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: August 01, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »

How intricate do you want Adventure mode to get? Would we ever get access to Fortress Mode job skills like carpentry or masonry, be able to sell our gear in a town, then buy the equipment to open up our own shop and live a normal life as a single citizen?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: August 01, 2013, 03:04:18 pm »

How intricate do you want Adventure mode to get? Would we ever get access to Fortress Mode job skills like carpentry or masonry, be able to sell our gear in a town, then buy the equipment to open up our own shop and live a normal life as a single citizen?
Adventure mode will eventually have all the jobs that Dwarf mode has (potentially with more tools required). That is an explicit development goal. Similarly, yes, you should one day be able to be a simple merchant - quite possibly right from the start, without the need to sell your starting equipment or whatever. See this page and this page for a lot of the future plans that Tarn and Zach have for the game. In short, they want the game in all modes to be very intricate.

ADVENTURER SKILLS ARC: It's nice to have all those jobs and professions sitting around in the dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to do these things, especially those skills related to survival in the wilderness. Eventually you'll be able to place constructions, create a home and have your own site on the map.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: August 01, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »

Thanks Toady!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: August 02, 2013, 04:35:50 am »

And so DF2013 continues to be the most delayed Dwarf Fortress version to date.
Wonder if we'll get it this year or should be start talking about DF2014?

Well, he still needs to finalize dwarven sites (which likely is quite some stuff still), then go back to a few postponed issues (i.e. felling the new trees, etc.), and then the big bag of optional stuff.

I don't care if the X in DF201X is going to be a 3 or 4, all I care is for the next release to be awesome. And Toady always delivers  :)
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: August 02, 2013, 04:58:04 am »

Will we be able to take on the role of one of our citizens from Fort Mode?
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: August 02, 2013, 05:00:59 am »

Also, yes, I do think that it'd rule if we could have a Civilization # type battle, only ASCII and Dwarf Fortress-like.

Since in (d)esignations, we already can click to set something to be placed/done, what if we could click to place units in "Versus Mode"?
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: August 02, 2013, 06:06:25 am »

Tree-fruits and nuts gathering:
" Haven't set up a new type of gathering for it.  Something might happen, but I'll probably require little constructions or something so they can reach.  Adventurers can reach up to pick things from under trees, but that doesn't seem right for fort mode. "

So are you suggesting fortressmode fruitpickers in future might need to carry ladder tools around which they then depoly/construct as upwardstairs ?
(this would only work for single Zlevel high fruit though as I imagine it)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: August 03, 2013, 12:01:47 am »

Adventure mode will eventually have all the jobs that Dwarf mode has (potentially with more tools required).

Does this imply that adventurers will be subject to strange moods, if they craft enough?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: August 03, 2013, 12:23:14 am »

Also, yes, I do think that it'd rule if we could have a Civilization # type battle, only ASCII and Dwarf Fortress-like.

Since in (d)esignations, we already can click to set something to be placed/done, what if we could click to place units in "Versus Mode"?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: August 03, 2013, 03:01:26 am »

If you play a fort long enough, would a deep site spawn and become associated with your fort, and if so, would a tunnel likewise spawn connecting the sites, or have you not gotten far with how deep/hill sites interact with player forts/forts that are reclaimed?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: August 03, 2013, 04:18:23 am »

Adventure mode will eventually have all the jobs that Dwarf mode has (potentially with more tools required).

Does this imply that adventurers will be subject to strange moods, if they craft enough?
Probably not strange moods as such, but supernatural compulsions[/quote] seem to be fair game at some point.

Quote from: isitanos
Speaking of mood, could we have fey/fell moods for the player, where he feels compelled to realize a feat, with a potentially great benefit but also a great penalty if he fails? To avoid a sudden unexpected possession to ruin a game, it should probably be rather easy to foresee, for example if they only have a chance of happening if you push the above mood mechanic to extremes, or you make a visit to an out-of-the-ordinary place such as a god's altar, or engage dialog with a powerful demon.
I wouldn't want to randomly saddle people with too much of a burden, particularly on a single character in adventure mode, but I don't have a problem with a magical obligation at times when it makes sense, since those are fairly common and should be fun.  No idea when that sort of thing would happen, since it's all so far away.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: August 03, 2013, 12:22:36 pm »

Quote from: Cruxador
But how tall are they? By all logic trees that wide should be like a thousand Z-levels tall, but that sounds likely to cause technical issues. On the other hand, a tree that's not substantially taller than it is wide would be far too silly.

For the 30 tile wide trees, I was talking about the crown, not the trunk, if that's the issue.  They are still limited in size by the sky, and to save time I haven't changed that.  Other trees are more okay the way they are -- maple trees, for example, can be roughly equal in height and width, and mine are currently too tall compared to their width, if anything.  I would prefer to get the heights up in general, though, if practical, and some of the elf ones are definitely on the short side.
Yeah, I did think you meant trunk. Didn't even occur to me that you'd mean crown, perhaps because we don't really have large-crowned trees here, only conifers. I'd actually quite like to see very tall trees like old redwoods and some elf-tree depictions. Are redwoods planned to be in/special? If so what's going on there?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: August 04, 2013, 08:05:41 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Now that the livestock aren't getting weapons any more...
Highly trained livestock! Of course, now they're hanging out with the bears lighting campfires...
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 748