Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807569 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7080 on: July 11, 2013, 10:02:03 am »

Ok now we have grown stuff which is kinda cool. Will that include weapons?
Furthermore will these weapons be better then weapons carved out of wood?
Now that elves produce nuts and fruit from trees, can dwarves also harvest these items?

It would be pretty weird and non-Dwarf Fortress if we weren't able to harvest fruits, or even then, be able to mod our own proudly dwarven mug-and-silver-warhammer trees.
Quote from: Word of Toad, 9/28/2012
Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.

I assume edible fruits could be one of those alternatives of fast food when you're running low on resources or just beginning your fort.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: July 11, 2013, 10:04:15 am »

Quote from: Dev Log, 7/10/13
The elf caravan rolled in with .... some grown oak items that won't make them angry if you try to resell them later.

FUCKING. FINALLY.

Why don't the "grown oak items" make the elves angry? Are they an elf-specific item type, like a "humane" way to make wood products (and if so, will judicious modding let players make "grown wood items?") Or do the elves distinguish between wood-for-crafts and wood-that's-people? Something else entirely?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: July 11, 2013, 10:19:54 am »

I bet is a simple tag on the material the items are made off.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: July 11, 2013, 11:14:19 am »

Will the new super-massive trees be limited to elf sites?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: July 11, 2013, 11:19:39 am »

I bet is a simple tag on the material the items are made off.

Such an tag could be nice for other things too (given toady creates a framework for it) like say denoting dwarven steel or fancy things like halal/koscher food. It could even be extended to civ level stuff which could lead to preferences and prejudice based on the origin of an object.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: July 11, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »

Will the new super-massive trees be limited to elf sites?
No. I think he said that these are replacing the old trees. At the very least they will be in caves, so I think he did...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: July 11, 2013, 12:28:19 pm »

I think he's asking whether elf trees are substantially larger than their counterparts in other sites, which is a potential feature that was floated a while back. I think this might have been answered as "yes," but I'm not sure and don't have a quote one way or the other.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: July 11, 2013, 12:32:48 pm »

Exactly, gigantic threes like those would probably be found on few, if none places outside elf sites.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: July 11, 2013, 12:38:09 pm »

That makes sense, but considering that all the new trees will be multi-tile they can all be called huge.
Highly Opinionated Fool

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »

Also remember that the z-axis is fucked to begin with. Toady has mentioned that, logically, mountains should be thousands of z-levels, but they aren't. Suspension of disbelief exists in this game as it is, and a lot of that is processor-related. We already know that adding additional 'empty' z-levels above ground level contributes SIGNIFICANTLY to lag.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: July 11, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »

Quote from: devlog
new tree/vegey data entry which'll be ongoing up to the release

[color=]Is this the kind of thing which could reasonably be e.g. outsourced to the modding forum for players to do?[/color] Assuming it's sufficiently time-consuming to be worth the bother.

[color=]i would like if you do that because then we would get new raws[/color]

This is highly unlikely to happen.  For one, it probably won't take a huge amount of time for the first draft anyway.  Secondly, for the initial release, the data submitted to Toady would have to be validated and tested by Toady anyway before inclusion to see how it fits with his mechanics.  Neither of those make this a good choice leading up to the initial multi tile trees release.

That said, raw edits that have been proved out by the community, once a new mechanic has been released to the wild and broadly understood, have been used in the past.  The most useful contribution will be Tree !!SCIENCE!! (and I'm sure there will be much !!SCIENCE!! to be done with new trees) to make refining the process in subsequent bug fix cycles a low hanging fruit, no pun intended.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #7091 on: July 11, 2013, 01:47:47 pm »

In the new release note you mentioned coconuts, mangoes, and chestnuts.

What made you decide to use real world fruits/nuts for this release, while previously,  most if not all (non-tree) plants have been made up?

I assume it has something to do with using real world trees in previous versions.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: July 11, 2013, 02:13:31 pm »

In the new release note you mentioned coconuts, mangoes, and chestnuts.

What made you decide to use real world fruits/nuts for this release, while previously,  most if not all (non-tree) plants have been made up?

I assume it has something to do with using real world trees in previous versions.
Well, he mentioned those particular fruits because their trees are the ones that are already in the game. But Toady has mentioned that he'll use real-world trees for now, presumably to avoid the "what the hell is that supposed to be" factor - plants don't get in-game descriptions yet.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: July 11, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »

And then one day there well be randomly-genned trees.
Highly Opinionated Fool

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: July 11, 2013, 02:50:18 pm »

"what the hell is that supposed to be" factor...
Only Dwarf Fotress has this kind of greatness other games can't even dream about.
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 748