Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807407 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7095 on: July 11, 2013, 03:08:06 pm »

Followed almost immediately by "Can Urist McTestSubject eat it, and survive?"

Also, how are we going to know how to process them?  An experimentation workshop?  If we experiment repeatedly, will we find multiple uses for something, sometimes?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: July 11, 2013, 03:24:29 pm »

We have cacao so urists dog could go blind.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:28 pm »

Once plants that can do things on their own are in, I'd hate to see the plants in the SPHERE:FILTH regions...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: July 11, 2013, 04:24:38 pm »

Quote from: Dev Log, 7/10/13
The elf caravan rolled in with .... some grown oak items that won't make them angry if you try to resell them later.

FUCKING. FINALLY.

Why don't the "grown oak items" make the elves angry? Are they an elf-specific item type, like a "humane" way to make wood products (and if so, will judicious modding let players make "grown wood items?") Or do the elves distinguish between wood-for-crafts and wood-that's-people? Something else entirely?

There's lots of lore behind this. Elves grow their wooden items out of trees with druid magic in a way that doesn't harm the trees themselves, versus dwarves, who just kinda kill them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: July 11, 2013, 04:38:27 pm »

But see, that lore is assumed, as it has never been expressed in game ever. I'd like confirmation of "yes this is fancy pants druid magic" even if said druid magic doesn't occur during play yet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: July 11, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »

I'd say the use of the word "grown" should confirm that enough, but (realtalk) if you want a bit more, that's fine.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: July 11, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »

The real question is, do civilizations remember their crafts now, or do elves just make special wooden stuff with a special token?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:32 am »

Also, is it possible through modding to make our own grown wooden items?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: July 12, 2013, 03:28:57 am »

I'm fairly certain you've always been able to do this--the specific tag that offends elves is [IMPLIES_PLANT_KILL], so if you just removed that from the wood materials in plant_standard, elves would no longer get butthurt.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:03 am »

also some grown oak items that won't make them angry if you try to resell them later.
To make sure: can we now sell any wooden item made by elves safely to elves? I hope it is framework stub, not some hack only for elves and only for "grown" items.

Will be some info in-game about what race made this particular item? It would be in info screen I guess... "It is exceptionally made blah blah. Produced by Humans in 208 in Daggervalley." But marking it somehow on trade screen would be more convenient (character for race next to name of item? Filtering option?).
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:30 am »

Woah, a filtering option on the trade screen is a must. We should be able to filter things by size (in the case of clothes), value, weight, how made it, materials and so on. This way you can always offer the elves the highest wooden items made of trees exterminated with extreme prejudge.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: July 12, 2013, 07:32:05 am »

I'm fairly certain you've always been able to do this--the specific tag that offends elves is [IMPLIES_PLANT_KILL], so if you just removed that from the wood materials in plant_standard, elves would no longer get butthurt.
Oddly enough, there's no such tag yet. That functionality is inherent in the WOOD tag.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: July 12, 2013, 07:47:33 am »

The [IMPLIES_PLANT_KILL] tag is on things further on in the production chain that can ONLY be made from tree products, such as soap.  Soap requires lye, which requires ash, which requires dead tree.

Ergo, Elves are stinky, no soap using, patchouli smelling hippies.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:42 am »

The [IMPLIES_PLANT_KILL] tag is on things further on in the production chain that can ONLY be made from tree products, such as soap.  Soap requires lye, which requires ash, which requires dead tree.

Ergo, Elves are stinky, no soap using, patchouli smelling hippies.
You might be thinking of [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL], which is found in the soap template. There's no corresponding tag in the plant soap template. Not sure how the game determines that plant soap is bad for plants, though...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: July 12, 2013, 08:01:16 am »

I stand corrected.  Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 748