Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807593 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7065 on: July 11, 2013, 12:49:17 am »

Quote from: devlog
new tree/vegey data entry which'll be ongoing up to the release

Is this the kind of thing which could reasonably be e.g. outsourced to the modding forum for players to do? Assuming it's sufficiently time-consuming to be worth the bother.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: July 11, 2013, 12:52:02 am »

Quote from: devlog
new tree/vegey data entry which'll be ongoing up to the release

Is this the kind of thing which could reasonably be e.g. outsourced to the modding forum for players to do? Assuming it's sufficiently time-consuming to be worth the bother.

i would like if you do that because then we would get new raws

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: July 11, 2013, 02:48:22 am »

Quote from: Dev Log, 7/10/13
The elf caravan rolled in with .... some grown oak items that won't make them angry if you try to resell them later.

FUCKING. FINALLY.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:49 am »

with some of their largest trees 30 tiles across now.
Well, that's big. But how tall are they? By all logic trees that wide should be like a thousand Z-levels tall, but that sounds likely to cause technical issues. On the other hand, a tree that's not substantially taller than it is wide would be far too silly.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: July 11, 2013, 03:52:07 am »

Well, that's big. But how tall are they? By all logic trees that wide should be like a thousand Z-levels tall, but that sounds likely to cause technical issues. On the other hand, a tree that's not substantially taller than it is wide would be far too silly.
I'm assuming something like a baobab tree.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: July 11, 2013, 04:04:35 am »

That tree is ridiculous.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: July 11, 2013, 04:34:05 am »

Unless I'm seriously misremembering something, DF adventure mode has a scaling ceiling.  You wouldn't notice it unless you try to play as a flying adventurer, but the invisible upper limit of play changes depending on where you are, so that if you fly along the top you sometimes have to fly downwards to be able to continue.  So elven sites having 100+ extra z levels on top wouldn't be impossible within the current system, although it would likely be annoying to climb a tree that tall.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: July 11, 2013, 05:29:14 am »

Imagine building a fortress in an area with trees that high, though...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: July 11, 2013, 05:45:03 am »

That tree is ridiculous.

Heh, that is crazy, never seen that before.  Coconuts and mangoes and grown oak items?  I never know why but it's these small things I love about DF.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7074 on: July 11, 2013, 06:18:03 am »

Well, they are elves, they can just magically grow silly trees and forget about logic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: July 11, 2013, 06:37:08 am »

Baobab is also poisonous if I remember correctly.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: July 11, 2013, 06:42:24 am »

Perhaps he's not talking about the main trunk but the.. what's the word... canopy or something, you know, the tree could be something like 20 levels high but on level 17 the branches are 30 tiles wide.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:51 am »

Toady can we have some screenshots of the eleven retreats?

Ok now we have grown stuff which is kinda cool. Will that include weapons?
Furthermore will these weapons be better then weapons carved out of wood?

The only thing i miss in the vegetation update is the ability to plant (maybe in combination with pots) trees but i can wait for that a bit longer.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: July 11, 2013, 09:07:30 am »

How I missed that! Finally, now that we have an option to give wooden items to the elves that do not offend them, slapping their faces with items made chopped wood will be even more gratifying, rewarding and fulfilling. Especially if said items are weapons in the hands of a soldier.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:09:10 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: July 11, 2013, 09:36:21 am »

Now that elves produce nuts and fruit from trees, can dwarves also harvest these items?

If the largest elf retreat trees are 30 tiles across, how high do these trees grow?

Will we now be able to trade clear or crystal glass with the elves, if the wood components used are the grown ones?

Do elves use wagons now? You say "the caravan rolled in" in the devlog.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 748