Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807061 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5370 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:56 pm »

Yup. Same way you nickname your companions. I gave a dingo the proffession and nickname "stupid bitch," and hacked her leg off. The leg is identified as "'stupid bitch''s left rear leg."
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:25 am »

Yup. Same way you nickname your companions. I gave a dingo the proffession and nickname "stupid bitch," and hacked her leg off. The leg is identified as "'stupid bitch''s left rear leg."

Don't think you can nickname items that were never attached to a stupid bitch, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: February 19, 2013, 01:31:15 am »

Well, true. That would be a neat feature for sure.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:33 am »

Historically, everyone tended to worship all the major gods that were venerated in their culture  And heck even many christians arent far from it by recognizing Angels, the Mother of Jesus or certain Saints  (or even all 3) as target for worship and prayer.
As a Christian, I feel compelled to say that only the Catholics believe that, and they are even weirder than normal Christians.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:14 am »

Not that there's such thing as "normal" Christians. But that conversation was over I think.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5375 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:43 pm »

Hooo boy this might get bad.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:13 pm »

Not harm intended. But when was the last time you actually knew some one "normal"? If you say something besides "never in my life" you are lying. Who defines what's normal? Can all we be measured by the same standards? But that's enough off topic, I think the point was already answered, all that it rest is to wait for Toady to answer the questions related to the game marked on green about it (if any, I don't remember) on the next Future of the Fortress reply.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

Not harm intended. But when was the last time you actually knew some one "normal"? If you say something besides "never in my life" you are lying. Who defines what's normal? Can all we be measured by the same standards? But that's enough off topic, I think the point was already answered, all that it rest is to wait for Toady to answer the questions related to the game marked on green about it (if any, I don't remember) on the next Future of the Fortress reply.
I am totally O.K. with people seeing "Christians" as not normal. But, let's stop this topic now and talk about impaling kitties on bronze spikes.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: February 19, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »

I actually thought he was rejecting the difference between Catholics and 'normal' christians.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: February 19, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »

We're all weird to different people in different places, and we're all minorities in our own unique combinations of ways. *"The More You Know" Star*

Back onto DF development:

Can you tell us what dialogue is going to be like in the updated adventure mode? Are there going to be dialogue options like "Ask about..." "Offer..."? Or maybe generated dialogue trees (Name/Job/Bye)?

How is reputation going to be handled for the different adventurer roles? If I'm a famous trader and offer my services to a noble, I wouldn't want to receive a kill monster quest as if I were known for being a hero type. What if I have conflicting reputations, like being a famous monster slayer and a wanted thief?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: February 19, 2013, 05:28:35 pm »

How is reputation going to be handled for the different adventurer roles? If I'm a famous trader and offer my services to a noble, I wouldn't want to receive a kill monster quest as if I were known for being a hero type. What if I have conflicting reputations, like being a famous monster slayer and a wanted thief?
My guess is that most of that will be who you are talking to, and choosing specific dialogue options. You would ask the captain of the the town guard for a hero-type quest, or you might ask him with your knife or coin for leads on thief-type 'quests'.
For example, in the example you provided, you could ask "Would you like to do business?" instead of "Do you have work for my sword/axe/hammer/backpack-loaded-with-the-corpses-of-my-foes?".
But I only wish I knew the mind of Toady. As I don't, this is only a guess.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: February 19, 2013, 07:35:04 pm »

Does insurrection only work for goblins, or can we also stir up a rebellion against vampire leaders / false gods who lay oppressive edicts?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:26 pm »

We can nick-name our dwarves and companions in adventure mode, but will we ever be able to nick-name other things? Like animals, enemies, items, and the like?
You can do that already. Try it out!
How?
l-->unit-->y
Yes, you can do this in adventure mode, I guess in the original question I sould have separated "dwarves" from "companions in adventure mode", I meant nick-naming animals and enemies in fortress mode, and for nameing items in general, such as a +copper pick+
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:13 pm »

There's probably a DFhack plugin that'll do that.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5384 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:50 am »

From what I remember from a DF talk, there won't be quests given in that way in the future. You'll have entities who want certain things and that will tell you that they want certain things should you come across them. You'll then get rewarded for doing those things, regardless of whether you were formally asked to do so or not. So if for example this lord hates that lord, then he will (ideally) reward you for any action that will hurt that lord, whether that action is stealing from him or killing him. So it's less of doing things a certain way (hero,thief,etc.) and more of doing what the entity wants.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:43:45 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 748