Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807119 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5355 on: February 17, 2013, 11:20:58 am »

It's alright with me! I believe you were thinking of Toady's original plans for the update, detailed in the devlog for 06/06/12:

Quote from: Toady One
It's time to activate the world now. The overall idea is that entities such as town governments, bandit gangs, criminal organizations, necromancer cults, etc., will have goals and act to carry them out, replacing losses and reacting to your acts as you arise to interfere or aid them, with a generous helping of tension between historical figures frosted with beast antics.

Some initial work is required, but we're going to try to move through it quickly this time. I'm currently taking the preliminary step of detailing entity claims to sites based on purpose, location, time of day, and so on. Then the plan is to use these to get entity representatives such as guards and dirt bags out on the streets, along with regular citizens with varying views on the entity claims, and to get them all interacting with each other and adventurers a bit. That'll set the stage for the visible realignment of entity claims as the game progresses, and it'll give you some material to work with. Specific quests are going to start to drop out of the game as we proceed, to be replaced by you doing what you want with respect to the various groups and reacting to their direct intervention in your affairs. Now that we'll have the site control situation a little more fleshed out, we're also going include a bit of exposition, both for your home town when you start and when you talk to people in places you visit, though you might still happen upon trouble before you hear anything. [...]

If I understood correctly, Toady is currently working on tying entity interaction, succession claims and the new sites together, so the next release can't be too far away.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: February 17, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »

It's alright with me! I believe you were thinking of Toady's original plans for the update, detailed in the devlog for 06/06/12:

Right, I think that's what I was thinking about. Thank you! That does sound really good.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: February 17, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »

Oh wow - thanks for the quick answer Toady! 
where is up?

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: February 17, 2013, 04:54:31 pm »

Somehow, I have gotten the impression that the goblins will only be occupying human sites in the upcoming version. Is this correct, or can the sites of every major race get occupied by goblins? Does this include the sites of other goblin civs? If a player-made fortress succumbs to dwarf mode invasion or gets occupied post-retirement, will we be able to send an adventurer there to start a rebellion? Will it be possible to re-activate (without a reclaim party) a fortress that was liberated in adventure mode?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:50:59 am by Mopsy »

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: February 17, 2013, 11:59:10 pm »

So I guess Toady is going for year release, bug fixes, year release kind of thing?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:35 am »

So I guess Toady is going for year release, bug fixes, year release kind of thing?

It's actually been only 8 months since 0.34.11's release :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5361 on: February 18, 2013, 12:05:05 am »

Somehow, I have gotten the impression that the goblins will only be occupying human sites in the upcoming version. Is this correct, or can the sites of any major race get occupied by goblins? Does this include the sites of other goblin civs? If a player-made fortress succumbs to dwarf mode invasion or gets occupied post-retirement, will we be able to send an adventurer there to start a rebellion? Will it be possible to re-activate (without a reclaim party) a fortress that was liberated in adventure mode?

Probably not, but you might be able to send an adventurer, "soften up" the invaders, then send in a reclaim party after.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: February 18, 2013, 12:39:00 am »

16 More weeks...hmmm... doesn't sound that bad. Anticipating the next releases its a big part of Dwarf Fortress experience!  :P
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:14 am »

Well, I'm pretty sure that's not what he's going for, but it does seem to be how it's working out, yes :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: February 18, 2013, 01:11:25 am »

Well, I'm pretty sure that's not what he's going for, but it does seem to be how it's working out, yes :P

To be more exact, it's like how Toady tends to make a release, find out when people start playing that there's some sort of crippling bug that was added in that release, and then release a hotfix the next day.  This tends to create alternating versions where one has a crippling bug and the next does not.  This, in turn, led to the "even number/odd number" idea people had with versions. 

When Toady sets to work on these sorts of things, he tends to wind up getting easily diverted down what he originally thought was a minor side issue, and all of a sudden, we have a whole new interaction system and vampires and werewolves out of nowhere, and release gets pushed back 6 months to schedule in coding in all the ramifications.

In fact, Toady has been having his long stretches of focus upon adding large amounts of new content get shorter recently - it was way more than just one year when it was the jump from 40d to 0.31.01. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:38 am »

I'm as anxious as any one for the next release. I however don't mind him taking all the time he wants/need to do it better. And of course, we can't realistically expect him to find and squash all the bugs, so it's important to download the "odd" version of the game and try them out. :D
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: February 18, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »

We can nick-name our dwarves and companions in adventure mode, but will we ever be able to nick-name other things? Like animals, enemies, items, and the like?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: February 18, 2013, 02:24:50 pm »

We can nick-name our dwarves and companions in adventure mode, but will we ever be able to nick-name other things? Like animals, enemies, items, and the like?

You can do that already. Try it out!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: February 18, 2013, 02:52:16 pm »

How?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: February 18, 2013, 02:53:09 pm »

How?

l-->unit-->y
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:55:09 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 748