Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807695 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4815 on: December 30, 2012, 10:57:09 pm »

Any updates on dwarven economy for player forts? Right now ownership is communal for players, but is that the case in npc cities too? I can't see thieves having much to do if everyone shares all the stuff, unless they just move stuff from one civ stockpile to another.
The economy hasnt been touched during this development cycle. So the likely answer for an update, is none.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: December 30, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science."
Great Webcomic.

You just wasted 5 hours of time I could have spent sleeping. I hope you're happy you added yet another damn comic to my watch list, you sadistic bastard. :P
:D
Always happy to share my time-wasters.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: December 30, 2012, 11:24:18 pm »

Any updates on dwarven economy for player forts? Right now ownership is communal for players, but is that the case in npc cities too? I can't see thieves having much to do if everyone shares all the stuff, unless they just move stuff from one civ stockpile to another.
The economy hasnt been touched during this development cycle. So the likely answer for an update, is none.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Toady stated that he did a little overhaul on item ownership, at least related to what theqmann is asking, so that you can steal stuff without the Hive Mind punching your soul out of your eyesockets. It has more to do with entities than anything else, but the fort inhabitants are still a single entity, so that wouldn't change a lot of things, beside of what I said.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: December 31, 2012, 02:14:58 am »

Another problem with photosynthisis and other explanations is the fact that although goblins don't eat, they still vomit when punched in the gut.
This also means that if they feed off of evil, then evil is actually green like vomit, which would explain the skin color.

At the moment the concept is that Goblins don't have to eat to survive. That bit has been clearly stated, but no where has it been said that they can't or won't eat if the opportunity arises. Maybe they like to eat and that's why they have the necessary equipment. And maybe that's why you can punch the vomit out of them.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: December 31, 2012, 04:30:28 am »

Just because you don't need food doesn't mean that it isn't delicious nevertheless!

oh_no

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: December 31, 2012, 05:44:00 am »

Goblins don't need to eat because they are magic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: December 31, 2012, 06:16:30 am »

They're actually a mobile form of plant. Just like elves are a mobile form of trees, goblins spent part of their life-cycle as goblin-caps. Baby goblins are dropped from the goblin-caps, live life as a goblin, and finally take root and grow as a goblin-cap when they get hurt enough.

Elves have a similar life-cycle, but for above-ground trees.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: December 31, 2012, 07:50:01 am »

I see, I see. That explains plump helmet men.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: December 31, 2012, 08:43:34 am »

I wonder: Are there any skinny helmet men? :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:17 am »

And it also explains why the elves care not about the caverns! Honestly though, given the amount of thought going into this toady should announce he's put in a answer and leave it up to dwarven !!science!! to deduce what it is.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: December 31, 2012, 09:48:12 am »

Again, though, they're grey, with weird hair colors.

Different goblin tribes tend towards different colors, ranging from ash grey to spring green. You can check the raws if you don't believe me.

Like others here, I'm also pretty sure goblins can eat, but do so exclusively for pleasure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:50:33 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: December 31, 2012, 12:48:46 pm »

I imagine that the theory is that goblins will eventually need to eat, but Toady will first have to code it so that they can raid towns and villages for prisoners and use them as a food source.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »

I imagine that the theory is that goblins will eventually need to eat, but Toady will first have to code it so that they can raid towns and villages for prisoners and use them as a food source.

Toady specifically stated more than once that they're not intended to ever need to eat.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41:48 pm »

Dear Toady:
When the War Arc finally begins are there plans to allow us to control a militia commander sent on the siege of the hamlet like an adventurer?
Also when shall you fix the extremely slow training of warriors? The only efficient way to train a squad of 7 or more dwarves is to throw them in a danger room which is an extremely broken way of training anyway.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:06 pm »

Toady specifically stated more than once that they're not intended to ever need to eat.
one area i intend to diverge from vanilla.

perhaps, being magical minor demons, gobboos feed of of emotion?  it would explain much.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 748