Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808080 times)

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4560 on: December 06, 2012, 04:41:01 pm »

of course not!
1x3 masterwork engraving, bed, chest and cabinet. And masterwork rock door
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:39 pm »

How will the the location of your dwarves be affected by retirement/unretirement of fortresses? Presumably dwarves will be meandering around the fort; if I haven't tunneled into the first cavern, can I expect to find them underground anyways?  What if I were to order my entire population into a room and then build a wall around the exit, blocking them in right before I retire?  Will an adventurer come by later to find the fort mysteriously vanished, save a muffled pounding from behind the wall?  Would retirement/unretirement result in dwarves in impossible locations?

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: December 06, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »

In legend mode it may appear as:
"[...]While defeated the latter escaped unscathed, ran to the nearest fort and walled himself inside a tunnel out of shame"
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:34 pm »

Hi!

I am wondering if there could be an option to deliberately start an adventure as a dwarf from the player's fortress. After all, those are basically fully developed during Fortress Mode.

Yours,
Deathworks

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: December 07, 2012, 01:40:09 am »

Hi!

I am wondering if there could be an option to deliberately start an adventure as a dwarf from the player's fortress. After all, those are basically fully developed during Fortress Mode.

Yours,
Deathworks
My understanding is that something like that has been considered but there's no timeline.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4565 on: December 07, 2012, 01:51:47 am »

Hi!

Yours,
Deathworks

For some reason, I haven't seen you post much lately, and I realized I missed your elegant posting style. You keep on keepin' on, Deathy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:51 am »

You've mentioned in the latest devblog post (on 5th December 2012 for those who read this post after the apocalypse that won't happen) that the adventurers are literally "pulled out of thin air" and this is noticeable when it comes to forts. Are all individuals "historical figures" now or is there still a site population that is for all intents and purposes nameless, identity-less, and skill-ambiguous besides being of a particular creature type and caste?

If there are still nameless members of a site population, would you consider having ancestry generated at character creation, or would that mess up the game?

When you add multi-racial forts (it looked like a valid thing for forts in the upcoming version as of devblog on 12/3/2012), as some players play goblin fortresses, these will get immigrants from other races. Goblins don't need to eat, but the other races do, so if you had a multi-racial goblin fort would we be able to set up farms anyway?

If (in the future of DF) there existed rock trolls who grew and ate crystals and drank magma, it seems reasonable that troll immigrants to an elf retreat would be able to set up their own magma well and crystal farm.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: December 07, 2012, 08:17:49 am »

Hi!

Yours,
Deathworks
My understanding is that something like that has been considered but there's no timeline.
Yet, if the dwarf was spawned out of nothing, like it is currently, it would be as simple as letting us choose our starting location or site. I doubt taking control of an existing historical figure will be in this time.

Now this might be a balance issue if we can pick up masterwork adamantine arms and armour off the floor freely in a retired fortress.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:50 am »

Hi!

Yours,
Deathworks
Yet, if the dwarf was spawned out of nothing, like it is currently, it would be as simple as letting us choose our starting location or site.
I think we interpreted "a dwarf from the player's fortress" differently. I read it as a dwarf who had actually been there while you were playing (from, as in that's his origin and where he lives), but I now realize it might have been intended to mean just that's your starting point as an adventurer, in which case I don't think it's something Toady is planning to do, but I do imagine he'd be down for it if it seemed like something a lot of people wanted. Personally I don't think omitting the overworld travel is worth the dev time making that UI.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: December 07, 2012, 08:40:09 am »

Quote from: rex mortis
Now this might be a balance issue if we can pick up masterwork adamantine arms and armour off the floor freely in a retired fortress.

An abandoned fortress that has an avaliable candy dispenser and a few cotton sticks is still a pretty dangerous fortress to get out from, so I think there wouldn't be a lot of unbalancing... If there was such a case to begin with in the next release.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: December 07, 2012, 10:00:50 am »

Balance? This is DF, where one fort has nothing but copper and silver, and the next has steel available from the get-go.

Armok cares not for your concerns of balance.   

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: December 07, 2012, 10:32:53 am »

I have to agree.

Also, if a fort manages to have candy items, the odds are that that perrson is experianced enough at the game. Besides, it's the only way to get candy items right now in adventure mode without modding
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: December 07, 2012, 11:48:25 am »

How do you handle items in retired fortresses? Can an adventurer just grab them, or are they fortress property?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: December 07, 2012, 07:26:10 pm »

When you add multi-racial forts (it looked like a valid thing for forts in the upcoming version as of devblog on 12/3/2012), as some players play goblin fortresses, these will get immigrants from other races. Goblins don't need to eat, but the other races do, so if you had a multi-racial goblin fort would we be able to set up farms anyway?

I may be wrong, but the reason that Goblins don't eat is for them to survive the world generation, as they are bonecarn. Maybe at one point, we'll get goblins eating (able to get meat reliably). Anyway, goblins themself don't need farms, and I guess they could feed the snatched children with only meat.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: December 07, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »

I may be wrong, but the reason that Goblins don't eat is for them to survive the world generation
you're wrong. toady doesn't picture goblins as doing anything else besides fighting. they may feed on violence and hatred later on, even feeding on meat just for fun, but they wont eat.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:59:04 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 748