Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807953 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4590 on: December 10, 2012, 07:20:20 am »

I hope not - remember Empire Earth? We'd end up having dorfs hammer at the ground unti it rises up and forms the workshop they want, and archers shooting at stone walls until they crumble. I'd rather see more realism when it comes to producing stuff, such as forging a blade, cooling it, firring it to a handle and only then having a sword.

The only thing is in DF the building and reaction progression is pretty much the same - you get "construction not yet begun", "construction started", "construction nearly done", and the finished building. The animation is just different for buildings. A skilled dwarf will take a shorter period of time to do something and has a higher chance or guarantee of producing a high-quality item, but there's still an invisible progress state.

We may sometime get to the realistic method for forging a blade, when we get to a general production overhaul.
Since the workshops are a placeholder if I remember correctly and will be replaced by workrooms, then we can expect the alchemical creation of objects (object A + object B + dwarf D + ? ? ? ? = object C) to stop and be replaced by a more realistic one, or at least one with more intermediate stages.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »

I dream of full Dwarven factories.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: December 10, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »

When will blocking be something we can initiate? After all, there's no sword fighting without fencing, and preempting your opponents attacks is crucial. I have a suspicion you'll do this with fighting styles however, but even so i hope it's never entirely clearcut. Sure, it could make use of an observer skill, but you should never know for certain, and a good bit of intuition depending on your opponents emotional state, traing and capabilities should be left up to us. Also, how about retired fortresses, depending on how quickly they cant get up and running, having their own competing factions which you have limited control over during play? Rather a nice way to balance plentiful ai-mined adamantine on reclaim if someones decided to snatch them up all ready, or an idiots sold them on. I also trust that if the fortress ends up in the hands of lazy fools, gaping architectural flaws and half-assed dwarven solutions may abound.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:24:09 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: December 10, 2012, 09:24:12 pm »

When will blocking be something we can initiate? After all, there's no sword fighting without fencing, and preempting your opponents attacks is crucial. I have a suspicion you'll do this with fighting styles however, but even so i hope it's never entirely clearcut. Sure, it could make use of an observer skill, but you should never know for certain, and a good bit of intuition depending on your opponents emotional state, traing and capabilities should be left up to us. Also, how about retired fortresses, depending on how quickly they cant get up and running, having their own competing factions which you have limited control over during play? Rather a nice way to balance plentiful ai-mined adamantine on reclaim if someones decided to snatch them up all ready, or an idiots sold them on. I also trust that if the fortress ends up in the hands of lazy fools, gaping architectural flaws and half-assed dwarven solutions may abound.

If you have a high weapon skill, you can already parry attacks in the current (0.34.11) version.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: December 11, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »

Is Toady open in any way to having people do bugfixing for him while he makes new features? I know this is a one man band but the stuff like bugfixing is a bit much now, we've had bugs with purring maggots for 2 years and nothing has been done about it because Toady is too busy with other stuff. This is going to be a long and buggy development if we don't sort this kind of stuff out. Bugfixing slows Toady down too so that means we get less features while he works on bugfixes for several versions. He's said before that he's doing this for himself and it's his life's work and all that, but I'm not saying we should work on the development of it. I'm saying we do his "Housekeeping" while he powers through it. Yes, that old chestnut again.

This said, there are less bugs now than there used to be back in late 2010. I remember many many articles on the wiki having that big glaring bug symbol above it. It's a shame because I feel like I want to be excited about big new versions because of the all the exciting changes, but all I really think is "oh god, more bugs". I still keep the glass half full, but it puts a downer on big releases for me. I don't know about how you guys feel.

My biggest concern is that eventually because the development has taken too long with all those months (years cumulatively) lost on bugfixing, the game might get abandoned or after he's discovered he's limited by the current format in some unforseeable way and Toady will start Slaves to Armok 3.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:09:25 pm by Owlbread »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: December 11, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »

It seems like he's said he's not open to that, however, he has incorporated bug fixes made by others before, for example, I'm pretty sure Quietus has pointed out some small bugs with simple fixes, which he's at least said he would incorporate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: December 11, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »

He generally incorporates those bug fixes in the next released version.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »

Is Toady open in any way to having people do bugfixing for him while he makes new features? I know this is a one man band but the stuff like bugfixing is a bit much now, we've had bugs with purring maggots for 2 years and nothing has been done about it because Toady is too busy with other stuff. This is going to be a long and buggy development if we don't sort this kind of stuff out. Bugfixing slows Toady down too so that means we get less features while he works on bugfixes for several versions. He's said before that he's doing this for himself and it's his life's work and all that, but I'm not saying we should work on the development of it. I'm saying we do his "Housekeeping" while he powers through it. Yes, that old chestnut again.

This said, there are less bugs now than there used to be back in late 2010. I remember many many articles on the wiki having that big glaring bug symbol above it. It's a shame because I feel like I want to be excited about big new versions because of the all the exciting changes, but all I really think is "oh god, more bugs". I still keep the glass half full, but it puts a downer on big releases for me. I don't know about how you guys feel.

My biggest concern is that eventually because the development has taken too long with all those months (years cumulatively) lost on bugfixing, the game might get abandoned or after he's discovered he's limited by the current format in some unforseeable way and Toady will start Slaves to Armok 3.
Many of the bugs on the bugtracker aren't really bugs, just people complaining about new features that they don't like. "Population cap not working" is one of them, among others. Generally, one encounters very few bugs while playing the game, and the ones one does are often minor anyways. There are far more bugs in iOS, but people still use it.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »

Is Toady open in any way to having people do bugfixing for him while he makes new features?
He's not open to releasing the source, but Quietust has patched a number of bugs from the disassembly. And Toady has incorporated those fixes. Of course it's much easier for Toady to find and fix a bug in the source than Quietust to find and fix a bug in the disassembly.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:43:13 am by King Mir »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:30 pm »

I find it funny that no less than two people have misspelled Quietust in a row :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: December 11, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »

What, people are misspelling Quietrust? Perish the thought!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »

Quietdust? Was that added in .34?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: December 12, 2012, 12:18:27 am »

It was indeed. Silently accumulating on your furniture!

Quietest is a fun guy, too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:56 am »

I find it funny that no less than two people have misspelled Quietust in a row :P
I really should have looked that up before I posted. My spelling is bad enough, not remembering the pronunciation didn't add to it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: December 12, 2012, 03:15:49 am »

Is Toady open in any way to having people do bugfixing for him while he makes new features?

During the last days of DF2010 development, he gave a closed "beta" version to a few carefully selected people to bugtest -- mostly his friends, I believe, but one of the testers was Footkerchief from these forums.

Don't go around asking for alphabeta access, though. If he does it again, it'll certainly be invitation-only again.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 748