Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808321 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4515 on: December 01, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »

**Quote from December report**
The art world has recognized your championship at last.  Without your support and contributions Dwarf Fortress wouldn’t be representing in the MoMA.  That’s just the beginning.  We haven’t even got started.  Retiring fortresses, and soon to the beyond.

Are you considering adding some sort of afterlife or more advanced two-way interactions with ghosts, or some such?  I'm not quite sure what you mean by the red-text above.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »

**Quote from December report**
The art world has recognized your championship at last.  Without your support and contributions Dwarf Fortress wouldn’t be representing in the MoMA.  That’s just the beginning.  We haven’t even got started.  Retiring fortresses, and soon to the beyond.

Are you considering adding some sort of afterlife or more advanced two-way interactions with ghosts, or some such?  I'm not quite sure what you mean by the red-text above.

Probable answer:
Quote from: right there in the devlog
fortress retirement, and hopefully we'll get to reclaims of non-player forts as well.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:03 pm »

Suddenly...suddenly, the end is in sight...

...give it about four to six months. At least we finally know with this month's report what still needs to happen.

I bet we'll have a release in February. Kobold Sites dont get as large as Elves/Dwarfs/Gobo/Demon sites.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: December 01, 2012, 08:47:31 pm »

Suddenly...suddenly, the end is in sight...

...give it about four to six months. At least we finally know with this month's report what still needs to happen.
People have been predicting a Q1 2013 release pretty much since Toady first discussed what he intended to include. But based on this month's report, if Toady's plans don't change, we could easily see a release even in February, or early March.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: December 01, 2012, 10:20:08 pm »

Highly possible this was asked before, if so please ignore...

Will dwarves get happy thoughts from the presence of particularly aged and large trees?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: December 01, 2012, 11:07:35 pm »

Will dwarves get happy thoughts from the presence of particularly aged and large trees?
Are these dwarves you're talking about, or elves? Sounds kinda like an elven good thought, if you ask me.
Seriously, though, Toady's said elsewhere that dwarves won't get any particular benefit from that type of thing. Can't remember where or how, though, just that it didn't seem very dwarfy to him.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: December 01, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »

Maybe they could get happy thoughts from cutting it down?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: December 01, 2012, 11:38:17 pm »

Urist McTimber has been ecstatic recently. He enjoyed chopping down a centennial tree without bringing death to anybody.

With the inclusion of Kobold sites, retired Fortresses and kidnap/rescue mechanics in place, are you planning to allow us to reunite a stolen artifact or specially valuable item with it's owner or maker?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:21 am »

I'm glad to see Toady got the feature creep to a minimum this release cycle, so far.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:12 am »

This release was supposed to be more active entities and some preliminary stuff to make that possible, such as site claims and non-lethal combat. Everything that has been added since August is a feature creep, including the non-human sites, tracking, vampire blood sense, jumping and climbing and the tree rewrite. And I don't think the main goal of this release has even been done yet.
I'm not complaining, I love feature creep. These features are often more interesting than the actual release goals. But that doesn't change the fact that the feature creep has been pretty heavy this release. Perhaps not as heavy as the .34 release, but it's still there.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: December 02, 2012, 09:34:53 am »

This release was supposed to be more active entities and some preliminary stuff to make that possible, such as site claims and non-lethal combat. Everything that has been added since August is a feature creep, including the non-human sites, tracking, vampire blood sense, jumping and climbing and the tree rewrite. And I don't think the main goal of this release has even been done yet.
I'm not complaining, I love feature creep. These features are often more interesting than the actual release goals. But that doesn't change the fact that the feature creep has been pretty heavy this release. Perhaps not as heavy as the .34 release, but it's still there.

I'm glad to see Toady got the feature creep to a minimum this release cycle, so far.

::)

1. I agree with jellsprout. There's been technically a lot a feature creep when you compare it to the initial goals of the release, but I also like it when Toady is adding more interesting features. 

2. If you don't consider the above to be feature creep, then you will see some before the end. Toady always has that phase where he stands back and thinks, "It works, but is it fun?" I imagine we'll see a couple of tweaks here and there towards the end for that basic purpose. You're just setting yourself up to complain more later.

3. Instead of saying feature creep why not say what you think, "Toady hasn't added too many features I'm not interested in."  If that's not what you meant then to be honest that is how it reads.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: December 02, 2012, 11:43:32 am »

I don't understand the concept of feature creep in a game where the short-term development plan is made up on the fly.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 02, 2012, 02:00:36 pm »

Will NPC dwarves have some less conventional things in their settlements, like sizable art? Anything that just looks nice and isn't practical? Or maybe some player 'inventions' like artificial waterfalls/magma use?
It'd be nice if some dwarf civilization made a giant sculpture, or an obelisk, or something. After all, that's what dwarves are known for - building big things. Artistic things.
Big halls with lots of engraved pillars in them. More than just a lot of huts/doored-off niches.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »

Are these dwarves you're talking about, or elves? Sounds kinda like an elven good thought, if you ask me.
Seriously, though, Toady's said elsewhere that dwarves won't get any particular benefit from that type of thing. Can't remember where or how, though, just that it didn't seem very dwarfy to him.

Yes, I agree mostly.  Perhaps from a human perspective we can appreciate trees but dwarves would be indifferent/disgusted?

Maybe they could get happy thoughts from cutting it down?

Liberating all that stone the roots have enmeshed :)

November was a great month for donations.  It's fantastic that they're steady even in the middle of a release cycle.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: December 02, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »

Non-human sites are technically feature creep, since they are listed under the Treasure Hunter role, not the Hero role, which was the original restructuring of development at the beginning of the release development. So is climbing and jumping.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 748