Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808601 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4350 on: November 15, 2012, 03:35:40 am »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Toady.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: November 15, 2012, 04:29:22 am »

Yes, Thank you Toady  :-[

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 15, 2012, 05:01:56 am »

I'm thanful too and I DID giggle...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 15, 2012, 05:29:23 am »

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
Will Dwarf Fortress try to deliberately make navigable climbing paths up trees and through the tree-tops outside of forest retreats?
I don't understand this one -- you mean to make the elf sites accessible by climbing without blocking things off?  The elves exercise quite a bit of power over the shapes of their trees.

I think what he meant was whether it will be generally possible to move from treetop to treetop in any random forest or whether the trees will be too far apart to actually do that except in elf retreats.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:51 am »

It seems sensible that goblins who have been very active snatchers/slave breeders who have large non-goblin populations do develop rather sizable slave farms to feed their masses.

Yeah, that was my thought on the matter, as well. It's not like the goblins have to start plowing the mud themselves. Slaves and all.

I think this is relevant:

Quote from: Helgoland
Can you say a bit more about what sort of flavour each of the races will have? E.g. humans being similar to ancient Greece or Rome or to medieval times or the Renaissance or whatever; I hope you know what I mean

I'm trying not to do it like that -- ideally humans will end up with enough parameters to end up like various different civilizations, and the other civilizations will probably become more alien to humans as humans take up more of the slack.

Since having farms worked by slaves was a common characteristic of historical human civilizations, I imagine it would still not seem "alien" enough to fit with Toady's ultimate vision for goblins.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4355 on: November 15, 2012, 08:45:40 am »

I dunno, the fact that goblins apparently like living in tiny cells in combination with the slavery seems pretty alien to me.

Sure, humans and dwarves can be put into tiny rooms as well, but it's not something they choose to do naturally. (Usually it's compensated by other things like 'safety', 'cheapness' or 'a really damn comfortable bed', or simply 'it beats sleeping in the rain')
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: November 15, 2012, 09:45:58 am »

Quote from: Toady
Quote from: Heph
In the first map in the upper 1/3rd of the right side there is a darkgrey "Block". What does it mean?

I guess people who are curious will have to go on a little journey, he he he.  It'll be there waiting.

Oh Toady, you tease :P  That pretty much seals the fate of my first adventurer.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:19 am »

In the first map in the upper 1/3rd of the right side there is a darkgrey "Block". What does it mean?

I guess people who are curious will have to go on a little journey, he he he.  It'll be there waiting.

I tried to find that block but struggled. Could anyone mark it on a map for future reference?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 15, 2012, 10:31:08 am »

I tried to find that block but struggled. Could anyone mark it on a map for future reference?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's two of'm, both suspiciously near the dwarves...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4359 on: November 15, 2012, 11:57:15 am »

I wonder if this is the version where we get worldgen options to change the temperature gradients. I've always wanted to be able to have uniformly-freezing glacier worlds or pseudo-whole-globe-maps with both tropics and poles.

Or even strange worlds with freezing centers and hot edges. Not that I'm passive-agressively migrating suggestions into FotF or anything.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:27 pm »

Toady said sites will probably not have that much interaction but there might be something like a permanent market fair thing. It would be nice to have hill dwarves bring stuff to you to trade every month or so depending on the number of zombie kittens in the forest. For deep sites to interact with a fortress, they'd have to send stuff through a tunnel to you, and as Toady said deep caravans will probably not go in.

Will deep sites be built anywhere or just in mountains?

If deep sites can be connected to a fort by a tunnel, that's a permanent trading presence even under siege and ambush with multiple forgotten beasts roaming all the caverns and the circus spilling out uncontrolled into the bottom cavern layer.

Will forgotten beasts invade us through tunnels either in the next release or afterwards? The idea is that if we embark on top of a tunnel, forgotten beasts can arrive through the ends, and if a tunnel is dug to our fortress, we may get forgotten beasts arriving through them.

If a site connected to other settlements by a tunnel falls to siege of the HFS, will the other sites deliberately collapse the tunnel or block it off?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: November 15, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

I wonder if this is the version where we get worldgen options to change the temperature gradients. I've always wanted to be able to have uniformly-freezing glacier worlds or pseudo-whole-globe-maps with both tropics and poles.

Or even strange worlds with freezing centers and hot edges. Not that I'm passive-agressively migrating suggestions into FotF or anything.

Its actualy in. You go to advanced worlgen. the you hit "e" to customize and then you hit "p". In that window you can paint your map.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: November 15, 2012, 01:00:47 pm »

Its actualy in. You go to advanced worlgen. the you hit "e" to customize and then you hit "p". In that window you can paint your map.
You still have a mandatory temperature gradient from north to south.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: November 15, 2012, 01:10:12 pm »

Or south to north.  It's random which.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: November 15, 2012, 01:15:44 pm »

Or south to north.  It's random which.
That makes me think of DF world as tidally locked to it's sun at a pole with orbital heliostat to light up the side away from it without warming it much and a very eccentic orbit to give seasonal gradients.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 748