Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808343 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4365 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:46 pm »

I don't like Toady's idea that we shouldn't be able to play on retired fortresses and NPC forts because it would remove the seperateness of the computer world to us. I thought the whole point of DF was that it was a fantasy world simulator where we could play or control anything. If you start putting restrictions in like "I want the computer generated stuff to be outwith the control of the player" then you really limit the possibilities for interesting gameplay.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:58 pm »

That's not quite true, he said that he was fine with the idea of the player taking control back from retired forts. There just might be a few issues with the transition to NPC fort and back again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:55 pm »

The impression I got was that Toady wasn't sure how to set things up so it would work properly without system being gamed too much or introducing other issues into it. I imagine it would be difficult enough trying to manage a fortress that you've never designed or leaving a fortress you made into computer control and then trying to get back into it after some time being left to it's own device. Not that he wanted to restrict what you could do, just that he didn't know how well it'd work out.

And I'm very definite that computer wouldn't know how to manage a fortress designed by most people very well :D

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:03 pm »

I see, forgive me then, I'd gotten the wrong impression.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: November 15, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

It seems sensible that goblins who have been very active snatchers/slave breeders who have large non-goblin populations do develop rather sizable slave farms to feed their masses.

Yeah, that was my thought on the matter, as well. It's not like the goblins have to start plowing the mud themselves. Slaves and all.

I think this is relevant:

Quote from: Helgoland
Can you say a bit more about what sort of flavour each of the races will have? E.g. humans being similar to ancient Greece or Rome or to medieval times or the Renaissance or whatever; I hope you know what I mean

I'm trying not to do it like that -- ideally humans will end up with enough parameters to end up like various different civilizations, and the other civilizations will probably become more alien to humans as humans take up more of the slack.

Since having farms worked by slaves was a common characteristic of historical human civilizations, I imagine it would still not seem "alien" enough to fit with Toady's ultimate vision for goblins.

then something game mechanic-wise needs to be done to address starving snatchees.  kobolds have shown that things that must steal food tend to starve.  that'll prolly change when the economy gets further developed and actually activated.

but on that note, after many, many worldgens, i find that goblins often get relegated to undesirable areas, far from other civs, which may or may not make stealing food that much more difficult.

this is, of course, assuming we are abstracting in the terrible things that happen when you have severe nutrient deficiencies for a long period of time.  after all, slaves with severe cases of, say, scurvy do not work very well.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: November 15, 2012, 03:13:47 pm »

You go to advanced worlgen. the you hit "e" to customize and then you hit "p". In that window you can paint your map.
Thanks for mentioning that, it somehow escaped me that we had that option.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:56 pm »

Woo! Thanks to Toady for answers to our questions

Quote from: Toady
Quote from: Heph
In the first map in the upper 1/3rd of the right side there is a darkgrey "Block". What does it mean?
I guess people who are curious will have to go on a little journey, he he he.  It'll be there waiting.
...Or at least most of the time.

But anyway, will we get an option in fort mode to view a world map? Such as when in adventurer mode how you can see a world map, could we get this in fort mode in order to see what direction a certain race is, or to see how many secondary sites has sprouted up along our fort's border? It would also help to get our orientation if it's been a while, but now that the world changes, I think the ability to check on the surrounding area would be nice.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: November 15, 2012, 10:54:35 pm »

But anyway, will we get an option in fort mode to view a world map? Such as when in adventurer mode how you can see a world map, could we get this in fort mode in order to see what direction a certain race is, or to see how many secondary sites has sprouted up along our fort's border? It would also help to get our orientation if it's been a while, but now that the world changes, I think the ability to check on the surrounding area would be nice.
This is talked about in the latest DF Talk. Sadly there is no transcript yet but he basically talks about how a map might work in fort mode and how new news might appear on it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:45 pm »

This is talked about in the latest DF Talk. Sadly there is no transcript yet but he basically talks about how a map might work in fort mode and how new news might appear on it.
Awesome, can't wait for that transcript.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4374 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:21 pm »

Why do we play as humans in adv. mode, but dwarves in fort mode?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:59 pm »

Because dwarven sites aren't in until the next version, that's why :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: November 16, 2012, 12:12:40 am »

Because dwarven sites aren't in until the next version, that's why :P
Yes, then we will be able to play as humans, elves, dwarves, gobbos with minor modding. Added with the whole earlier stuff with Camp senses, climbing, attack/move, sneaking, armies and simlar things, adventure mode is going to be very, very, interesting.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: November 16, 2012, 12:15:03 am »

We can already play as elves and dwarves, actually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: November 16, 2012, 12:16:04 am »

We can already play as elves and dwarves, actually.
But no armor fits! And you have to live in human towns.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4379 on: November 16, 2012, 02:06:14 am »

I wonder if this is the version where we get worldgen options to change the temperature gradients. I've always wanted to be able to have uniformly-freezing glacier worlds or pseudo-whole-globe-maps with both tropics and poles.

Or even strange worlds with freezing centers and hot edges. Not that I'm passive-agressively migrating suggestions into FotF or anything.

Its actualy in. You go to advanced worlgen. the you hit "e" to customize and then you hit "p". In that window you can paint your map.

oooo.... my.... god....  This is like when I first learned about mass designations for dumping after I had been playing for months.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 748