Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810315 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3135 on: August 31, 2012, 01:08:41 am »

or, like in real world, have common folk not have last names and be known for their city of origin, deeds, ocupation, or after their father

urist of soaptowers
dastot badgerslayer
udib eight fingers
asmel the carpenter
lorbam son of ingish

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: August 31, 2012, 01:20:09 am »

or, like in real world, have common folk not have last names and be known for their city of origin, deeds, ocupation, or after their father

urist of soaptowers
dastot badgerslayer
udib eight fingers
asmel the carpenter
lorbam son of ingish
Realism...... lol
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: August 31, 2012, 02:53:19 am »

urist of soaptowers
dastot badgerslayer
udib eight fingers
asmel the carpenter
lorbam son of ingish
Realism...... lol

Well, a lot of family names are actually nicknames that people happened to bear when someone had the idea of an official family name.
So if your name is Smith, chances are you have a blacksmith as an ancestor at some point.
Of course, even if your name isn't Smith, you still probably have a blacksmith as an ancestor but the name didn't get to you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: August 31, 2012, 03:15:27 am »

Yeah, my mom's last name is of the "Comes from some place" variety.

My ancestor was Urist Von Mayrhofen (not actually urist. I just don't know the first name)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: August 31, 2012, 11:00:30 am »

That's actually how, up until about the late 20th century/early 21st century, the Gaels in the Scottish Highlands/Islands would distinguish each-other. For instance, on Lewis, there is an almost infinite number of MacLeods, so naming your son Donald MacLeod is like naming him John Smith.

To get around this, Gaels would do exactly as Askot says (and sometimes still do): they'd name Donald MacLeod Domhnaill Dubh - dark haired Donald - if he had black hair, or Domhnaill Ban if he had blonde hair. They could also call him Dohmnaill Mor nan Orain if he was into music/song writing - Big Donald of the Songs, or maybe even Domhnaill Mhaira if he was a sailor - Donald of the Sea. You would never say "Oh, do you know Donald MacLeod?" because there would be about 20 in your 10-20 mile radius at least. The other way they'd do it is say "Oh, do you know Donald Archie Ian Gillespeag?" Donald, son of Archie, Ian and Gillespeag. A kind of patronymic. It used to be frowned upon if you couldn't go back 7 generations.

Perhaps Dwarves could have a clan/family name that goes back to the age of myth, but also a name that they would earn for a deed they have done e.g. "Mebzuth Shieldbroken" because he broke a famous warrior's shield in battle, but his clan name would be Mebzuth Oiledpulleys because of some bizarre notion in Armok's head when he was hammering the clan progenitor's head into shape on his holy anvil. An introduction might go as follows: "Hail traveller, I am Mebzuth Shieldbroken of the clan Oiledpulleys, son of Ingish Goblincleaver, son of Dastot Burningrages, son of Vabok Holybearded, son of Geshud Windowlicker."

An alternative name may be "House". So instead of "the clan Oiledpulleys" it becomes "Mebzuth Shieldbroken of the House of Oiledpulleys".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:09:03 am by Owlbread »

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: August 31, 2012, 11:40:58 am »

Sadly, we will still be vastly overpopulated with so many Urist Windowlickers.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:54 pm »

Sadly, we will still be vastly overpopulated with so many Urist Windowlickers.

"I am Urist McMiner, son of Morul McMiner, son of Fath McMiner, son of Mozum McMiner, son of Ingish McMiner, son of..."

Of course this would make trying to talk to anybody in adventure mode take about a season to get through formal greetings.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:08 pm »

More like "I am Urist, Son of Urist, descendent of Urist Mc Spiderslayer"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 01, 2012, 12:07:43 am »

the game should pick the most notable *surname*, like, peasants would give the name of their most notable parent, once they get a profession they give that profession, if they are from someplace else they give their town of origin, and if they have a handicap or something that warrants a nickname they give that one, or if they did something awesome that warrants a nickname they give that one instead. if there is someone inhabiting the same place with the same name and nickname they give their second most notable nickname as well or a second parent name
in legends mode there would be hundreds of urist smith, so their name there would always be accompanied by the place they live in and date of birth

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 01, 2012, 01:27:00 am »

Would definitely need a mechanism to change heritable family name. Should be fairly simple since family relationships are already tracked.

Determining the appropriateness of events that give titles/change names would be harder; ideally a dwarf shouldn't get one for just killing a wild dog, but if he killed it after it ripped off both his hands that would probably be title-worthy. And even then the game would have to decide whether to make it 'Urist the Dogslayer' or 'Urist McNoHands'. And if he later saved a village during a siege, would he change titles? Some sort of loose event hierarchy would need to be established.

Also,
Dohmnaill Mor nan Orain - Big Donald of the Songs

Thank you, sir! You have just named my next gnomish DnD character.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: September 01, 2012, 04:48:53 am »

Would definitely need a mechanism to change heritable family name. Should be fairly simple since family relationships are already tracked.

Determining the appropriateness of events that give titles/change names would be harder; ideally a dwarf shouldn't get one for just killing a wild dog, but if he killed it after it ripped off both his hands that would probably be title-worthy. And even then the game would have to decide whether to make it 'Urist the Dogslayer' or 'Urist McNoHands'. And if he later saved a village during a siege, would he change titles? Some sort of loose event hierarchy would need to be established.

Also,

If it were up to me, I'd just name a dwarf after the first name-worthy thing he does that is historically unique. Anything greater he does after that enhances his previous fame only.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: September 01, 2012, 06:36:38 am »

We're getting multi-tile trees! I wonder what the ascii will look like.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:44 am »

Finally! All the sites are getting fixed. Now I'll definitely need to regen when the new version comes out.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:12 am »

Also,

I am more than happy to help. There are lots of Scottish Gaelic names like that.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: September 01, 2012, 08:22:26 am »

We're getting multi-tile trees! I wonder what the ascii will look like.
Finally! All the sites are getting fixed. Now I'll definitely need to regen when the new version comes out.
What? Toady said anything only about goblin sites.

Oh, and BTW see ya in half of year. Maybe next version will be almost done by then.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 748