Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769353 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3120 on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:01 pm »

It'd be nice to see companions actively pick up and wear armour and weaponry. Is it just me who doesn't mind them getting kills?
Perhaps in the brain update...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: August 29, 2012, 11:14:15 pm »

:o Goblin sites! Woohoo!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14:17 am »

Amazing devlogs!

As I see, now that sucession and site rebuilding are encouraged behaviors, does this mean that the respawning NPC bug will be solved? Also, could this lead to a revamping for Legends mode, so you can find more easily related historical figures and active entities that are somehow involved in this or that region?

I would like to know if there might be some other changes (if any) to Legends mode. Now that we're not limited to one-off kill quests it would be awesome to see these new deeds and misdeeds reflected in different, telling ways. Does this sound more like someone suggesting stuff rather than speaking out a question?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: August 30, 2012, 02:15:43 am »

Oddly enough I wasn't joking.

It is relative physics really... if you move backwards fast enough then the effective speed of the arrow moves closer or surpasses 0.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: August 30, 2012, 02:29:18 am »

It is relative physics really... if you move backwards fast enough then the effective speed of the arrow moves closer or surpasses 0.
Its why Knight Rider can enter a moving Semi Truck at high speeds.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:47 am »

Its why Knight Rider can enter a moving Semi Truck at high speeds.
Supposedly, that's not terribly difficult to do.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: August 30, 2012, 03:12:24 am »

Thank you for goblin and demon sites Toady.  Now I can do things other than hunt down all the werewolves and vampires near my starting civilization.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: August 30, 2012, 06:25:31 am »

As much as I love work getting done on adventure mode (which I prefer to fortress mode at the moment), I am afraid of the derailing potential Toady is under right now.

Focus Toady ! Activate the world ! Focus on (re)building, (re)populating, site founding and war waging ! "Quests" will be less important as a concept in a living world. The player will be able to build his own narrative for the time being. We're doing it now.

Also, I'm much more excited about personnality rewrites (after activating the world). It's sort of ties into quests given by people and character description. Things like someone asking you to track down their children's killer, or find and kill their spouse after they've been turned into night creatures. You need the same information for giving that quest, asking that person what his motives are and modelling said motives into actions.

DF will seem so much more believable if the quest system is based on actual desires rather than "there is a demon. go kill it." I figure the DF approach would be more of a "the goblin civilisation is growing too powerful, after winning the wars against the elves to the east and our brethrens to the south. As we are their allies now, they have no troups on our border. They are a potential threat and they are vulnerable. As we attack, go to their capital and kill their leader".

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: August 30, 2012, 07:13:58 am »

Thank you for goblin and demon sites Toady.  Now I can do things other than hunt down all the werewolves and vampires near my starting civilization.

Now that you're going to deal with the missing goblin sites, are we going to see demon sites changed in the upcoming release with regards to Dwarf Fortress mode? Are we going for a standardised or randomised messing-up of the world at this point, and in how many ways can the world be messed up by these end-of-worldgen events?

From the devlog, it sounds like the world will be faced with some kind of disaster at the end of worldgen. This might involve goblin invasions, or devastating wars.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: August 30, 2012, 08:01:39 am »

As much as I love work getting done on adventure mode (which I prefer to fortress mode at the moment), I am afraid of the derailing potential Toady is under right now.

Focus Toady ! Activate the world ! Focus on (re)building, (re)populating, site founding and war waging ! "Quests" will be less important as a concept in a living world. The player will be able to build his own narrative for the time being. We're doing it now.

Also, I'm much more excited about personnality rewrites (after activating the world). It's sort of ties into quests given by people and character description. Things like someone asking you to track down their children's killer, or find and kill their spouse after they've been turned into night creatures. You need the same information for giving that quest, asking that person what his motives are and modelling said motives into actions.

DF will seem so much more believable if the quest system is based on actual desires rather than "there is a demon. go kill it." I figure the DF approach would be more of a "the goblin civilisation is growing too powerful, after winning the wars against the elves to the east and our brethrens to the south. As we are their allies now, they have no troups on our border. They are a potential threat and they are vulnerable. As we attack, go to their capital and kill their leader".
Creating Goblins sites, is part of making the world more living, and getting the world activated requires some of the personality rewrites. I dont think there is actual focus right now, as 'activate the world' is a very vague and nebulous goal, since pretty much everything falls under such a descriptor.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:20 am »

Well, new content and quest types are very player centered. One can easily make out a line between "making the world more alive" and "giving the player more things to do". Of course there is a link, but I fear the potential for feature creep.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: August 30, 2012, 12:01:36 pm »

Hmm, I don't see much feature creep right now. He says he wants a certain degree of "livingworldness" and having sites actually be there, and having people offer more dynamic quests definitely fits into that goal. I can see how it may be borderline, but being able to do whatever I felt like within certain self-made boundaries is what would keep making a game interesting for me at the very least.

Plus, as MrWiggles said, to activate the world fully some personality rewrites would be needed. Right now Toady's just tackling the admittedly still vast number of things he can do without other features or rewrites. I have to admit, I'm quite excited to see just how much can be done without additional rewrites.

Toady, what are the basic requirements that you have for making a living world? Theoretically they'd be something along the lines of grow, repopulate after disaster, gather and use resources, and adapt to various conditions placed upon it by the player which are similar to the basic characteristics of a living organism, but I am sure you have some specific goals for yourself even if they are to be expanded upon or refined at a later date.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: August 30, 2012, 03:35:09 pm »

Something I'm really hoping for alongside succession is an improvement in family names. Spouses sharing last names, last names passed on to children, etc. That would open the door for things like powerful families whose names are known across the land. e.g. The Inkedhelm family has ruled over Jaguarshattered with an iron fist for five generations.

Alternatively, situations where you realize in-game that the aged peasent you're helping in the village is the father of the bandit you just killed earlier, based on the names. If that happened now, you'd never notice unless you memorize the names of every random bandit you kill and ask everyone about their family (does anyone do this?).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: August 30, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »

Something I'm really hoping for alongside succession is an improvement in family names. Spouses sharing last names, last names passed on to children, etc. That would open the door for things like powerful families whose names are known across the land. e.g. The Inkedhelm family has ruled over Jaguarshattered with an iron fist for five generations.

Alternatively, situations where you realize in-game that the aged peasent you're helping in the village is the father of the bandit you just killed earlier, based on the names. If that happened now, you'd never notice unless you memorize the names of every random bandit you kill and ask everyone about their family (does anyone do this?).

I had the same idea with this, but then realized that without at least some people splitting off from the family name, you could very likely end up with (for worlds that span very long time stretches, such as those people who like 1050 year old worlds) only two or three last names in that civilization. Then you would end up with a large number of people with identical names, making the legend filter very much less useful.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: August 30, 2012, 11:38:07 pm »

I had the same idea with this, but then realized that without at least some people splitting off from the family name, you could very likely end up with (for worlds that span very long time stretches, such as those people who like 1050 year old worlds) only two or three last names in that civilization. Then you would end up with a large number of people with identical names, making the legend filter very much less useful.
You could counter this by making any people of "unknown parentage" have a random last name. Since the majority of the population out there doesn't actually have names, this would allow for diversity, while still making it so that you could have powerful ruling families.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 748