Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769299 times)

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3105 on: August 27, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

By getting some balls rolling, I'm hoping this also means that group movements were tracked and filled in their proper places, It would be kinda weird if when you firsty started, there were no tracks on the ground, and the ground was clean, as if everyone has to stay inside for a month as the world finalizes.
thank you. moving groups, got it.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: August 27, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »

yea but bogymen do make it anoying if you want to brave the wilds by yourself without all the companions getting all the kills.

It is worse if you happen to be in an area where you have to ford a lot of rivers. Since companions won't be able to keep up.

The limiter on group size is actually goblin and bandit ambushes.  Since goblins currently send a force sized relative to your group, if you have a large, inexperienced group they will get slaughtered.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: August 27, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »

Well what you do Rockphed is when you fight you strike to disable then go to the next enemy. An enemy with a broken foot is as good as dead.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: August 27, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »

Well what you do Rockphed is when you fight you strike to disable then go to the next enemy. An enemy with a broken foot is as good as dead.

With a well leveled (demigod skills + one or two fights) adventurer I can normally take down a half dozen enemies (so long as no archers get lucky).  That is if I am just going toe to toe with all of them at once.  But when I have 15 companions and the goblins send 20 troops, my party is doomed.  Even when I have 5 companions and 8 goblins show up, my party is doomed.

A lot of it is that my companions normally have incomplete armor sets.  So I might have 8 of every armor piece among my minions, but I have 12 or 15 minions.  Alternatively, I have 15 helms, 30 gauntlets, 28 boots, and 5 breastplates.  If I could equip my minions with the armor I find around, they would be much less likely to die.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: August 27, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »

It also has to do with the fact that they will often do very inefficient attacks or run right into the enemies' blade.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »

It also has to do with the fact that they will often do very inefficient attacks or run right into the enemies' blade.
Or dodge an arrow by stepping backwards, and then getting hit by it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:32 pm »

No mod can help you deal with sheer stupidity.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: August 28, 2012, 11:50:42 am »

From my understanding based on your recent reply, tracking the activities of entities outside your fortress or adventure will be a more-or-less constant process. What sort of performance hit should we be expecting from this, now and in the future?

yes i want to know.... so i can know if i can continue to play spearbreakers on a laptop..... along with even worse things on my computer...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »

From my understanding based on your recent reply, tracking the activities of entities outside your fortress or adventure will be a more-or-less constant process. What sort of performance hit should we be expecting from this, now and in the future?

yes i want to know.... so i can know if i can continue to play spearbreakers on a laptop..... along with even worse things on my computer...
You can always keep two versions of DF on your computer - in fact, if you want to keep old saves, you probably have to, since I suspect that save compatibility will be rather hard to include with the new features.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: August 28, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »

You can always keep two versions of DF on your computer - in fact, if you want to keep old saves, you probably have to, since I suspect that save compatibility will be rather hard to include with the new features.
Will the new version be save-compatible?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: August 29, 2012, 02:36:02 am »

Will the new version be save-compatible?
So far it doesn't sound like there's been anything that would break old saves, though a lot of the new data won't be generated until one or a few weeks have passed in-game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: August 29, 2012, 02:38:20 am »

To admit if you step backwards fast enough it would completely nullify the arrow's effectiveness.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: August 29, 2012, 03:30:47 am »

To admit if you step backwards fast enough it would completely nullify the arrow's effectiveness.
Hey, good point! Let's get our archery stuff and practice this!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: August 29, 2012, 12:43:17 pm »

"Bay 12's reimagining of the famous William Tell fable went... poorly."
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: August 29, 2012, 01:01:41 pm »

"Bay 12's reimagining of the famous William Tell fable went... poorly."
We should reenact more fairy tales. I know! We should put on plays and make money!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 748