Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811798 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2655 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »

Will this update re-introduce goblin/dwarven/elven sites to adventure mode?
Current signs point to no.
But it is one of the things Toady said that he wants to bump up, so it might be in subsequent releases. If we're lucky.

I'm hoping it will, at least for the goblins and dwarves.  The elves are supposed to have tree cities which will probably require more work, but I'm not sure the tree-huggers will actually have anything useful in their towns. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #2656 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:07 pm »

I'm hoping it will, at least for the goblins and dwarves.  The elves are supposed to have tree cities which will probably require more work, but I'm not sure the tree-huggers will actually have anything useful in their towns.

Other than the multitude of elf shaped autonomous training dummies?
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: July 11, 2012, 11:21:35 pm »

Given the Gods' more active state in recent releases (with curses and such), what are your plans for adventurers concerning conversations with their deity of choice? Even if it is something as simple as an occasional "Leave me alone, mortal, I have more urgent matters to attend to."
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: July 12, 2012, 05:27:33 am »

So, if I'm reading the devlog right, which I'm quite possibly not, does this mean we'll be getting Metal Gear Fortress: Tactical Goblin Action for the next release?  If the "Breaking into fortified locations" section of the Hero-dev pages is relevant, then this will be pretty exciting.
It sounds like that's the goal, but I wouldn't necessarily expect ever aspect of it to go in for this release.

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:46 am »

Quote from: Girlinhat
Will it be possible for your fortress to become a goblin slave camp while you play?

Ideally we'll be able to do that.  There's a lot of specific interface etc. associated to being in that position though.  It's similar to bandits messing with your site beyond murder and stealing (which we have), but even more complicated.

When I read this, I though... yeah when ARE we going to get to enslave goblins to work in our mines? I'm not sure that is what you meant though?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:30 am »

Quote from: Girlinhat
Will it be possible for your fortress to become a goblin slave camp while you play?

Ideally we'll be able to do that.  There's a lot of specific interface etc. associated to being in that position though.  It's similar to bandits messing with your site beyond murder and stealing (which we have), but even more complicated.

When I read this, I though... yeah when ARE we going to get to enslave goblins to work in our mines? I'm not sure that is what you meant though?

I'm pretty sure the question was, 'Can we still run our Fort, even when it gets taken over by invaders?'.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: July 12, 2012, 08:05:13 am »

And arrange for some unfortunate accidents for the Goblin Overlords on a grand scale!!

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »

The elves are supposed to have tree cities which will probably require more work, but I'm not sure the tree-huggers will actually have anything useful in their towns.

Eventually, I would hope that my adventurer will be able to wander into an elf village on foot and leave riding a grizzly bear or a giant eagle.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: July 12, 2012, 02:25:47 pm »

The elves are supposed to have tree cities which will probably require more work, but I'm not sure the tree-huggers will actually have anything useful in their towns.

Eventually, I would hope that my adventurer will be able to wander into an elf village on foot and leave riding a grizzly bear or a giant eagle.

THIS.
DO WANT.

This is also the thing that can make the tree-huggers dangerous in a war, all the pets they bring.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 12, 2012, 06:17:30 pm »

Regarding attack speeds: Are there any plans to implement variations on the speed of readying your weapon again after a blow? I would imagine that after swinging a giant axe blade or granite throne one would require a lot of time to bring it back up to a readied/guard position compared to a more conventional weapon, to give an extreme example.

I am fairly certain that such things are already in the process of being implemented.  See this section of the recent FotF reply by Toady One.
I interpreted the "pre-strike period" he mentioned as meaning time taken winding up for an attack, rather than recovering from the last one. I don't know how necessary it will be in his new combat plans to differentiate between the two, but I can imagine that being able to do so would be useful.

There was also a post-strike period mentioned.  That said, I think he isn't done with it yet.

Quote from:  Toady
I have yet to muck around with the raws, but it'll come up very soon once I go back to that stuff once I'm done messing with entity claims.  I imagine attack raws will need basic speeds, perhaps broken into the pre/post strike periods, and that these'll be subject to attribute/skill improvements in many cases.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »

I don't know why this just struck me now, but I always wanted to mod in smaller and larger crossbows.  You know, low power high reload speed vs, punch a hole in adamantine 2 days to reaload things.

The way it currently stands I had to settle for making the heavy crossbow two handed.  But the way it's looking we'll be able to set relative weapon speeds!  Yay! Finally, the ability to make repeating crossbows that can't penetrate copper but fill the air with bolts!

And with that, a completely off topic question: Does two handedness of a crossbow(or any ranged weapon) have any effect on the rolls when being fired, like it does with melee weapons?  It only matters for mods since vanilla crossbows are apperantly always used as one handed weapons, but when I tried to ‼science‼ it myself my results came up really inconclusive.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 13, 2012, 08:40:25 pm »

Ok question time!

Toady how are you going to marry creatures who have incredibly fast and sudden strikes but cannot do it often (Like snakes) and ones who can attack often?

For example a snake

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 13, 2012, 08:43:04 pm »

Justice of the peace?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: July 14, 2012, 12:05:39 am »

Ok question time!

Toady how are you going to marry creatures who have incredibly fast and sudden strikes but cannot do it often (Like snakes) and ones who can attack often?

For example a snake

The real problem only arises if a snake can do their strike and then move a significant distance before striking again.  There is a quote from toady mentioning that attacks will probably get pre-strike and post-strike wait times.  So a snake will probably have no pre-strike time, and a post strike time similar to the current crossbow firing delay.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: July 14, 2012, 02:26:22 am »

Ok question time!

For example a snake

Presumably the preacher need also be a ninja just to survive the ceremony.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 748