Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814328 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1980 on: May 08, 2012, 08:44:12 am »

I'm not sure what a magma fall circuit means (a kind of a trap?), but I don't see magma carting as an efficient alternative to pump stacks; if every z-level requires a roller and a mechanism, the energy cost is roughly twice that of a pump stack. Unless rollers can be somehow designed to transmit power vertically, or if they spend less than 10 uristwatts, that is. You're right about material efficiency, though.

Could you not use plain dwarf power for most of the lifting? I don't think much has been said about carts being pushed uphill manually, but I assume you can do it. With one manually operated pump by the tracks and a drain I bet you could fill the carts without any mechanical power too.

I wonder what happens if you order a dwarf to push a cart through a magma pool...  Probably not a practical way to fill the cart, but it will be hilarious if the AI doesn't catch that case.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 08, 2012, 08:53:54 am »

You have struck Asbestos!

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 08, 2012, 11:48:49 am »

what is the "hang bug"?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 08, 2012, 11:53:33 am »

what is the "hang bug"?

I'd assume it's a hang bug, as in the game hangs/freezes for some reason related to minecart :P

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »

The minecart tile is essentially going to be a rectangle with an outline, right?

Does that mean that it would be possible to have minecart tiles with red and blue central colour to represent fluid contents? Or would that put a coloured outline around them too, and end up looking silly?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 08, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »

The minecart tile is essentially going to be a rectangle with an outline, right?

Does that mean that it would be possible to have minecart tiles with red and blue central colour to represent fluid contents? Or would that put a coloured outline around them too, and end up looking silly?

Hypothetically, yes.

There are two colors to every tile - the "foreground" color (which is applied with the color layer of the .png or .bmp of the tileset as a mask), and the "background" color (which is applied in the magenta regions or transparent region of a .png).

Toady is using an "inverse" tile, which means he's coloring the foreground black and the background gray or brown or something.  This means the rectangle block will be black and the rest of the tile will be gray or brown.  You can simply change the foreground color to be something if you want to make the inside of that rectangle that color. 

Many of the tilesets take advantage of these features by doing things like having black instead of magenta or transparency, so that they are always black-background in those areas, and then transparency portions only show up when background colors are on.  For walls, for example, the background color only comes up when engraved, so they draw basic walls in black and white, and draw transparencies on the portions that are only going to show up when engraved.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 09, 2012, 02:23:32 am »

Please allow us to add additional tiles to our stockpiles! Something like painting/erasing tiles in burrows!

Yes, that's a suggestion; but since the hauling changes are underway, there may not be a better moment to say this! Iunno!

Currently you can only remove tiles from a stockpile, even up to dividing a stockpile in two parts that do not touch. However it is impossible to expand a stockpile. At best you can open the settings of a stockpile, memorise what it is that you programmed into it, delete it, and place a new stockpile with a few tiles more (even only one or two), reprogram it with who knows how many custom accepted items and qualities and materials, and afterwards you will also need to relink them to all the previous feeder/receiver stockpiles as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I found it tough to type this all out, feeling that it may be out of place, so I tried to make it compact and easy to read - easily dismissable, if it's not plausible and is unwanted. If this needs more clarification or optimisation, a new thread can be made, but someone has to throw out the idea first... I guess. So, anyone else missing this?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:31:14 am by Elone »
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 09, 2012, 03:34:03 am »

In general, it may be nice to merge burrow/zone/stockpile interfaces, there is no good reason to keep it separate (especially zone/burrow)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #1988 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:17 am »

It would be awesome if that could be done for things like walls, fortifications, and the other constructions too.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:53 am »

Please allow us to add additional tiles to our stockpiles! Something like painting/erasing tiles in burrows!
Yes, that's a suggestion; but since the hauling changes are underway, there may not be a better moment to say this! Iunno!

Currently you can only remove tiles from a stockpile, even up to dividing a stockpile in two parts that do not touch. However it is impossible to expand a stockpile. At best you can open the settings of a stockpile, memorise what it is that you programmed into it, delete it, and place a new stockpile with a few tiles more (even only one or two), reprogram it with who knows how many custom accepted items and qualities and materials, and afterwards you will also need to relink them to all the previous feeder/receiver stockpiles as well.

Edit: I found it tough to type this all out, feeling that it may be out of place, so I tried to make it compact and easy to read - easily dismissable, if it's not plausible and is unwanted. If this needs more clarification or optimisation, a new thread can be made, but someone has to throw out the idea first... I guess. So, anyone else missing this?

Toady reads every post in this thread and see every good suggestion as the recent development shows. Please green only questions. Respect the rules, do not try to bend them.

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 09, 2012, 09:10:08 am »

Regarding the dev log on 05/09/2012, does it mean that magma + minecart + ramp = magma rain

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 09, 2012, 10:28:19 am »

What exactly did Threetoe mean about stockpiling the clay and forming a "mound"?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:43 am »

I understood from Toady1's last answerpost that items did not spill from a cart when it crashed. so no magmarain. (unless you engineer a dumping platform above an open space...say, like this:
Code: [Select]
##.....
#^===X.
##.....

#: wall / .:no floor
^:ramp / =:track
X: cart-stop set to dumping >

edit: since may10th devlog states items will now scatter from crashes. cool. :)

I also suspect 3toe is referring to a quantum stockpile.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:41:01 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:32 am »

Actually, it sounds more like Threetoe built the mound a pyramid of clay walls, and put a minecart ramp going down the slope. In order for making a jump (or at least, almost making a jump) to make sense, it would require the speed-up ramp.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:22 pm »

As far as the stats things goes. I wrote a very quick little program to simulate it in different ways.  Here are my results for a 10x10 room, with a 25% chance to get a block, through 10000 tests:

Even with 10,000,000 runs I never get 0 stones.

If you want to mess with it yourself, download it here www.gumpstudio.com/MiningSimulator.zip.  It has no error checking at all, so any non numbers will crash it.  It requires .net framework 4.

*edit* my math was wrong. fixed up the % calculations

This is very interesting, and shows a nice bell curve if you plug it into a decent spreadsheet program.

What I'm wondering is: does it matter?

Currently, if you create a custom reaction with a 1 in 4 chance of something, you use:
[PRODUCT:(percent chance):(number of products):(item token):(subtype*):(material class):(material subtype)]
and write up:
[PRODUCT:25:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:OAK:WOOD]

That's all fine and good, and established mod procedure.

Except that I lied to you. There is no "percent chance" in a reaction. That's more accurately summed up as "percent of object created". What that reaction above does is create one-fourth of an item, so that every fourth reaction will output that item.

I would expect mining to do the same thing. Every tile mined gets you one-fourth of a boulder, which manifests itself as soon as the total reaches 100%.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it is actually a drop chance. But as BradUffner's post shows, that's not a terrible solution, either. I guess we'll just have to wait until the next release to see.

....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 748