Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814323 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2010 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:02 pm »

But building with logs is really expensive in terms of resources.  Especially if you factor in the time it took those trees to grow...

Really, blocks have no purpose outside of construction, so all the change'll do is make it easier for those who want to build with wood, for whatever reason.

EDIT: DOUBLE Ninja'd

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »

Wood is a more precious resource than stone, currently, thanks to how easy it is to mine, and how trees are more limited, however, that is an entirely unrelated argument to why it would be logical to quadruple wood yields just because stone was changed.

By that measure, anyway, it would make at least as much sense to just get more than one log per tree.
I'm making the argument that since now that quadruple returns on blockmaking for stone has set a precedent, this unrelated thing that I think would be nice in the game is hanging so low it's practically on the ground already.

And wooden blocks can't be used for anything but construction, so it wouldn't be unbalancing to change the amount you get (as it would be to change the number of logs per tree).

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 09, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »

Wooden blocks can be used in the construction of one or two workshops if I recall correct -- which may fall under the definition of "construction" or may not, depending on how picky one is about the game's menu's terminology.

On an unrelated note... liquid and solid dumping stops! Sounds as though we're getting "everything we ever," to paraphrase Dr. Horrible.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »

Wood is a more precious resource than stone, currently, thanks to how easy it is to mine, and how trees are more limited, however, that is an entirely unrelated argument to why it would be logical to quadruple wood yields just because stone was changed.

By that measure, anyway, it would make at least as much sense to just get more than one log per tree.
I'm making the argument that since now that quadruple returns on blockmaking for stone has set a precedent, this unrelated thing that I think would be nice in the game is hanging so low it's practically on the ground already.

And wooden blocks can't be used for anything but construction, so it wouldn't be unbalancing to change the amount you get (as it would be to change the number of logs per tree).

Not true- there's several buildings that use them, though the only ones I can think of right now are screw pumps and wells.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 09, 2012, 09:22:25 pm »

Buildings = form of construction

(All right, I know we really go b->C, but all of those buildings can be made out of other things which are far less scarce, just like walls and bridges.  So there's no practical difference.)

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 10, 2012, 12:27:52 am »

Technically trees are supposed to become some sort of larger, branching, multi-tile entities, which would certainly help the wood disparity, and probably make logging a lot more dangerous (imagine causing a collapse cascade within a thick, multistory jungle, or worse, a fire.)
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 10, 2012, 12:37:53 am »

Technically trees are supposed to become some sort of larger, branching, multi-tile entities, which would certainly help the wood disparity, and probably make logging a lot more dangerous (imagine causing a collapse cascade within a thick, multistory jungle, or worse, a fire.)

That's the eventual plan, I believe. And I want it so, so much. One day I will run minecarts up a heartwood track and dump magma down on the elves from the center of their own sacred tree. Until then, nothing wrong with some light modding to cut 1 log into 4 planks/blocks.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 10, 2012, 03:08:20 am »

Except that I lied to you. There is no "percent chance" in a reaction. That's more accurately summed up as "percent of object created". What that reaction above does is create one-fourth of an item, so that every fourth reaction will output that item.

I would expect mining to do the same thing. Every tile mined gets you one-fourth of a boulder, which manifests itself as soon as the total reaches 100%.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it is actually a drop chance. But as BradUffner's post shows, that's not a terrible solution, either. I guess we'll just have to wait until the next release to see.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong. Otherwise we would micromanage all dwarves to land every 4th hit on an ore tile, which I see in no way entertaining.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54:09 am »

Except that I lied to you. There is no "percent chance" in a reaction. That's more accurately summed up as "percent of object created". What that reaction above does is create one-fourth of an item, so that every fourth reaction will output that item.

I would expect mining to do the same thing. Every tile mined gets you one-fourth of a boulder, which manifests itself as soon as the total reaches 100%.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it is actually a drop chance. But as BradUffner's post shows, that's not a terrible solution, either. I guess we'll just have to wait until the next release to see.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong. Otherwise we would micromanage all dwarves to land every 4th hit on an ore tile, which I see in no way entertaining.
I'm fairly sure that if there are going to be fourths of boulders, then it'll work like melting metal objects: different types of stones are tracked separately. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense of any kind.

Somehow that actually sounds nicer than the 25%-chance drop, but I'll manage either way.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 10, 2012, 05:46:23 am »

There is no "percent chance" in a reaction. That's more accurately summed up as "percent of object created". What that reaction above does is create one-fourth of an item, so that every fourth reaction will output that item.
That has in my experience never been the case. It has always been random whether a reaction product is generated. I've had 33% reactions that created the object after two uses of the reaction, for instance.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 10, 2012, 07:15:51 am »

In the current system, boulders are dropped by percentile chance for every tile that's mined.

I see absolutely no reason why Toady would have gone to the trouble of adding an entirely new variable to store the required data, finding an place to put it in the code, etc.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:10 am »

Can anyone help me with this line from the devlog?

I piled up all the clay I had been collecting (clay stockpiling is now fixed) and laid an iron track down the mound.

Does this mean clay stockpiles into a mound several z-levels high, or that mound was constructed with designations?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42:11 am »

The way it reads to me is that ThreeToe built a mound from the clay, then constructed the tracks over it, and as a tangent, he noted that clay stockpiling has been fixed.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

SHOCKTrooperM37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 10, 2012, 07:46:48 am »

When i asked my question i thought the purpose of the quadruple blocks per stone was to make above ground construction easier so you didn't need to dig as many rooms (which adds to stone clutter).   Doing the same to wood makes it even easier i guess and makes wood constructions more viable.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 10, 2012, 08:41:29 am »

The way it reads to me is that ThreeToe built a mound from the clay, then constructed the tracks over it, and as a tangent, he noted that clay stockpiling has been fixed.

Yes, yes.  Most logical!  I tend to get rather excited about devlog entries and misread whatho.  Is anyone else struck by the frivolous violence of Threetoes railway?  Was an iron wall absolutely necessary?  :o
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 748