Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814300 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1995 on: May 09, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »

Unless something's changed drastically, it's a chance, not amount. I've messed around a little with custom reactions, and they did not output in the sort of neat pattern that that would produce.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 09, 2012, 04:21:13 pm »

Unless something's changed drastically, it's a chance, not amount. I've messed around a little with custom reactions, and they did not output in the sort of neat pattern that that would produce.

Hmmm. I'll admit that the last time I validated the output of this was back in 0.28.40d, but I haven't seen any differences in my supplies in later versions. I use a cheat reaction to get rid of stone that outputs wood one time in four (or so I thought; I guess it was 25%). Might be some time later in the week to do some !!science!!.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the next release!
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #1997 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »

Hmmm. I'll admit that the last time I validated the output of this was back in 0.28.40d, but I haven't seen any differences in my supplies in later versions. I use a cheat reaction to get rid of stone that outputs wood one time in four (or so I thought; I guess it was 25%). Might be some time later in the week to do some !!science!!.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the next release!

Statistically you would get the same results over a long enough period of time, so unless you were specifically looking for the pattern it could be hard to spot.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:20 pm »

Stockpiles are able to give to a specific workshop, but is the reverse also possible? Can workshop give to a specific stockpile?

That wasn't clear from the dev log, if it's been answered somewhere I'll de-green.

Edit: Reading fail. Thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:35:52 pm by greenskye »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 09, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »

Stockpiles are able to give to a specific workshop, but is the reverse also possible? Can workshop give to a specific stockpile?

That wasn't clear from the dev log, if it's been answered somewhere I'll de-green.

The 4/27 devlog, literally two days before the one that says what you're saying, says yes >_>

SHOCKTrooperM37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:55 pm »

Can a log be made into several blocks similar to stone with the upcoming changes?
I thought it would be good to make buildings with wooden floors/roofs and with stone walls.   It takes lots of forests to make wood floors for my above ground buildings at the moment.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »

I find it pretty interesting that logs get lumped in with stone changes. I guess that shows what players really view them as. Building materiel. I dont think trees have been touched at all though, these changes are about mining and stone hauling. Which I dont think Trees are part of.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 09, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »

There are plans for trees spanning multiple tiles, so any and all wood changes will probably be deferred until then. It's probably coming sooner rather than later to, since I think Toady said he wants to get non-human sites back into the game in the last DF talk.

EDIT: Channeling my inner Footkerchief:
Quote from: Toady, DF Talk 18
One other thing we wanted to move up was ... it's just becoming more and more and more glaring to have the site maps missing for all of the other races, because you're in adventure mode and I imagine a new person that picks up adventure mode would be, like, 'Oh, cool, there's a goblin city,' or, 'Oh, cool, there's an elf city,' when they figure out what those symbols ... once they figure out what those symbols mean, and then they go there and it's just ... there's nothing there. That's kind of strange. So that might get moved up as well. I mean, it isn't even on the caravan list and I think it needs to be moved up. It's pretty important, I think. The only one that's difficult, I think, is the elves. The elves require a, kind of, tree rewrite, so there's some difficultly there.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:06:30 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:46 pm »

Yea, I think that was spoken to in the last DF. With the more dynamic, and large human sites, it's becoming much more a obvious lacking spot in DF to not have gobbo, elf or dwarves sites.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:26 pm »

Can a log be made into several blocks similar to stone with the upcoming changes?

I thought it would be good to make buildings with wooden floors/roofs and with stone walls.   It takes lots of forests to make wood floors for my above ground buildings at the moment.
Well, renaming wooden blocks as planks and making them 4 to a log as well would be a logical (and simple) inclusion at this point.  Also, it'd give you more of a reason to build things out of wood from time to time.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 09, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

The reason we got four stone blocks per boulder was because the (maximum) boulder drop rate was being reduced.  Wood is not being reduced in frequency.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »

No, but my thinking was that wood could use a little boost in availability.  Right now, it's ridiculous how wood is actually harder to build with than stone.  This'll at least even up the score a little bit.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »

No, but my thinking was that wood could use a little boost in availability.  Right now, it's ridiculous how wood is actually harder to build with than stone.  This'll at least even up the score a little bit.
Not if the woodcutters are legendary. They cut faster than the miners can mine.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 09, 2012, 08:52:02 pm »

Not if the woodcutters are legendary. They cut faster than the miners can mine.

Not if you take increased hauling distance and scarcity of wood into account :<

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:39 pm »

Wood is a more precious resource than stone, currently, thanks to how easy it is to mine, and how trees are more limited, however, that is an entirely unrelated argument to why it would be logical to quadruple wood yields just because stone was changed.

By that measure, anyway, it would make at least as much sense to just get more than one log per tree.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 748