Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808969 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1035 on: April 04, 2012, 07:59:51 am »

This hauling update is the single biggest change to fortress mode gameplay since the z-levels way back in 2007.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:47 am »

This hauling update is the single biggest change to fortress mode gameplay since the z-levels way back in 2007.
Um, no it isn't.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 04, 2012, 08:39:55 am »

Um, no it isn't.

I'm waiting for you to elaborate and enlightening us with your profound knowledge off all things DF-related why it isn't.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:33 am »

I'd argue that the underground changes probably had a larger effect, actually, but yeah, it is excellent.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:41 am »

I'd argue that the underground changes probably had a larger effect, actually, but yeah, it is excellent.

I thought about them, but they didn't change the gameplay that much or influenced the basic design of fortresses.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 04, 2012, 09:04:58 am »

My first question, so here goes.

Toady, the front page note says that tracks will keep information, by tile, in all four directions.  Does this imply that tracks are uni-directional?  Is that an option at construction?  Will it be able to be re-designated later?  Is it intended to have "main lines" with parallel, uni-directional rails, connecting with "branch lines" carrying lesser traffic volume bi-directionally?  Will mine carts, and wheel barrows for that matter, be able to pass each other in the same traffic square, at a speed cost, similarly to dorfs passing on a same tile?  Or will the mine cart be impassible, like a wall, or a statue?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 04, 2012, 09:14:43 am »

Mining carts? This is awesome! I was expecting things like carrying multiple seeds in one hand or other small changes but mining carts? I think I just had a dwarfgasm.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:37 am »

Will the minecarts be able to hold liquids? That could be an easy way to transport magma up however many z-levels to get it in a sane place.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1043 on: April 04, 2012, 09:53:06 am »

I thought about them, but they didn't change the gameplay that much or influenced the basic design of fortresses.

Magma on every embark definitelly changed how fortresses are structured (with magmaworks at very bottom or with extensive pump stack in most of them).

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:13 am »

I'm also curious to see if the minecarts will have a dump option, like a tip out or chutes in the bottom like rail cars.  Sounds more like a suggestion than a question, so I won't lime green it.  However, the weaponization of this is immediately apparent.  Build your obsidian mine cart.  Fill with kool-aid, drive it to the top of your parapets, and dump out over the edge onto the elven caravan vile force of darkness on your doorsetp.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:41 am »

This is going to be an awesome update! Really looking forward to playing around with mine carts!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:53 am »

^^ we need the option to build stuff in adventure mode! I want my very own intermountainhall railway!

If we can layout tracks (woden or metal) over constructed floors/ramps the code could be later reused for pipes. Anyway i hope we can park a cart under a hole and dump(D-B-D) stuff into it, which would make delivering 1k crafts to the depot very easy. If these things get animal-power we would need a way to feed the animal (unless its not a grazer).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »

Going back a couple pages...

Along with minecarts, can we expect the dwarves to use wheelbarrows, handcarts, horse/OX/(other load bearing domestic animal)carts, as well as backpacks. do you plan on giving paved roads a speed increase to these transports(inc wagons).

Toady said before that he didn't want to make paved roads have a "Speed bonus", but instead wanted to work with adding "underbrush" that would slow normal movement down on uncleared paths, presumably having a greater impact upon carts than other creatures. 

Conveniently, Footkerchief already pulled together some relevant quotes around 20 pages back:
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »

Same here. None of recent changes did affect my gameplay significantly. This tracks-connecting-stockpiles-to-workshops thing will probably have much more influence for me, as it will actually force me to re-think the approach I used since times of 40d.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »

I'm wondering, will we be able to have dwarves ride minecarts? I'm just wondering if we will be able to make dwarven roller coasters.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 748