Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769438 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9135 on: February 05, 2014, 07:20:27 pm »

Isn't more simple to employ a [CAN_CLIMB] tag and in the case of sentients that can't naturally climb, a assign the tag as long it has a rope with a hook or something equipped?

Or perhaps a [NATURAL_CLIMBER] for animals and climb an ability for sapients?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: February 06, 2014, 12:09:27 am »

Can Dwarves dig while climbing?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: February 06, 2014, 12:17:52 am »

Isn't more simple to employ a [CAN_CLIMB] tag and in the case of sentients that can't naturally climb, a assign the tag as long it has a rope with a hook or something equipped?

Or perhaps a [NATURAL_CLIMBER] for animals and climb an ability for sapients?

Nah; simpler to just roll that into the climb speed tag ([CLIMB_GAIT:X], or whatever it ends up being). No sense in defining them as a climber and then still needing a separate tag for their climb speed.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: February 06, 2014, 12:21:16 am »

We have the same for swimming, presently, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: February 06, 2014, 12:28:32 am »

Alright, so what are you people going to do when the release comes out?

Probably try out the new adventure mechanics.  Either play an assassin, a non-lethal batman style crime fighter, or get involved with the human politics.

In the end it will just be me playing with politics though.  I'm looking forward to seeing if I can "play the world, not the character" using the current mechanics, and see what happens to a region filled with human settlements over the course of a few adventures.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:01 am »

Start a colony using just adventure mode. Probably in a cave.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: February 06, 2014, 01:50:31 am »

Injury morale? is that a new thing or is he just talking about the thoughts associated with injury?

Depending on how stable fort mode is. I'll probably start up a fresh adventurer (whether it's the modded armok or not) and check out the new dwarven and elven sites and screw around. I'm thinking of attempting to brachiate in the trees as an adventurer, lol.

Visiting the new goblin sites could be a bit more problematic, unless I roll a goblin adventurer.

I may go and mess around in the arena while I wait for Mayday's graphics pack to come out, though that shouldn't take more than a day or two.

The arena will become the next laboratory for science now that we have a wide range of variables to play around with. It'll be  awesome for modders too

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: February 06, 2014, 02:53:33 am »

Mod. Mod. Mod some more. Mod.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: February 06, 2014, 09:52:35 am »

Injury morale? is that a new thing or is he just talking about the thoughts associated with injury?
I assume that's talking about creatures and people being more likely to flee after being injured, which will be new this release.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #9144 on: February 06, 2014, 09:59:37 am »

Spend a while just browsing Histories initially. After that I'll play some adventure mode. By this time I expect some bug fixing will have occured. I'll then familiarise myself with the updated Raws, and assuming Fort Mode is stable, take to it with an updated mod. 

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: February 06, 2014, 10:53:08 am »

(veterans of releases should recall and share with others that there is no polish phase... that is some decades away)

Am I the only person who read this and got really confused wondering what Poland has to do with Dwarf Fortress?

Like I was halfway to the FOTF thread here to ask what he was talking about when I was like, ohh okay.

:-[

Read in that sense, though, "The Polish Phase" does sound very enigmatic. Kinda cool.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: February 06, 2014, 11:32:32 am »

(veterans of releases should recall and share with others that there is no polish phase... that is some decades away)

Am I the only person who read this and got really confused wondering what Poland has to do with Dwarf Fortress?

Like I was halfway to the FOTF thread here to ask what he was talking about when I was like, ohh okay.

Read in that sense, though, "The Polish Phase" does sound very enigmatic. Kinda cool.

Ah yes, Dwarf Fortress veterans don't even know the MEANING of the word "polish!"

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: February 06, 2014, 02:24:09 pm »

What with climbing and jumping being a thing, have you considered toning down the ramps on mountainous terrain? As it stands, it sure is easy for dwarfmode units to just stroll up the side of a cliff.
-snip-

Stumbled across this while digging through old FotF replies, which somewhat answers your question. Emphasis on the boldened part ^^

Quote from: Quietust
Back in the old 2D versions, the "cliff face" was covered with a layer of "damaged" stone which couldn't be smoothed but could be dug away more quickly.
Will damaged stone be easier to climb? And if so, might the landscape generation be adjusted to create these again?

The whole idea of cliff faces and canyons is still waiting.  Climbing was the major obstacle to putting those back in the game, but we're still rampy right now.  I agree that most future cliff faces should use the damaged picture and be easier to climb.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:00 pm »

Ah yes, Dwarf Fortress veterans don't even know the MEANING of the word "polish!"

COŚ TY POWIEDZIAŁ?
*ahem*

Sorry about that, but as a Pole I couldn't resist. :P

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: February 07, 2014, 11:06:18 am »

Can Dwarves dig while climbing?
To add to this, do dwarves use a pickaxe when climbing if they're equipped with one?
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 748