Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released  (Read 110071 times)

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:51 am »

Great. There goes my productivity for the next few days.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2012, 10:00:30 am »

Goodbye life, see you in March!
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:20 am »

Necromancers can write books?
Are the books random generated on topic? So you can end up with necromancers writing about botany or small woodland critters?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:00 am »

Wait, did you add KNEES!?
The flying copper arrow strikes you in the left knee, tearing the muscle! It has lodged firmly in the wound!
Urist McDragonborn has become a Guard.
Also, slain colossi now turn not only into themselves statues?

Knees (and elbows) have been in the game at least since 31.01, but I don't think you could hit them in combat before now.  Maybe relsize tweaks or something?

Do you mean that bronze colossuses turn into statues of random historical figures etc?  That bug has been in since 31.01.

Jotwebe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:33 am »

A new df on valentines day? Toady shall be known as Ömzanor, or crusher of hearts in the common language.

Awesome, of course.
Quote from: The Innkeeper
"A tinker's debt is always paid:
Once for any simple trade.
Twice for freely-given aid.
Thrice for any insult made."
- Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:15 am »

A wild Skyrim reference has appeared! Beware its...

...Wait, I just mixed up Pokémon and Forgotten Beasts....

Anyway, Armok bless you, Toady. Armok bless you.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2012, 10:14:38 am »

Worldgen is several times slower than before. Must be all the cities and tracking every object in the world and whatnot. Genning year 304 atm, takes about 30 seconds per year and slower the further it goes - glad I capped it at 350.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21:42 am »

aawsome! I'm having a week off right now....

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2012, 10:29:38 am »

Thanks toady for all the hard work.
DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:04 am »

Worldgen is several times slower than before. Must be all the cities and tracking every object in the world and whatnot. Genning year 304 atm, takes about 30 seconds per year and slower the further it goes - glad I capped it at 350.

Well, so far my first worldgen is... not sure...  On year 230-odd of (I think) 250 years[1].  Whatever, I chose the middle-ground option in each line of the table... except for having the largest worldsize.  (Yeah, that might do it.)

Also, am running this on a Vista laptop with only 2GB of RAM, as opposed to my usual XP Desktop with a quite sufficient 1GB of RAM, so I can blame the machine spec as well.

However, as I can't really play it yet (am at work), that's not an issue.  And I can try it out on the better machine when I get home.  (Or utlise one of the many other machines, like this one, under my control, but this particular one is running a complex Perl script, which I don't want to abort...)

Still, the fact that it exists is news to be happy about[2].  And if .34.02 comes out before I get .01 working, no loss!

(Toady, I'm sure you don't need another "thank you" from li'l ol' me, but the sentiment is there if you do feel like having it.)

[1] I don't usually use the "tabular" worldgen starter, and usually use the more customisable one, which would send me usually all the way to year 1050.

[2] Save for the fate of my .31 fort which I was about to go back to after longer time than I had planned being unplayed.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:01 am »

I'm glad people are mostly enjoying the game so far!  Yeah, world gen is slower.  I can still squeeze something out of it.  It's mostly the goods being shuffled around and processed as far as I can tell.  That mosquito thing is definitely a bug.  I haven't looked into it yet, but if they are the only creature acting up you can just delete them from your "raw/objects/creature_bug_slug_new.txt" until I sort it out.

Toady: Will the next release also be a year off, or will we get back to more common releases again for a while?

There should be several bug fix releases, with the first being in some days.  After we do that for a while, I'm not sure how things will work out.

Will the fortress mode that filled the map with refused dead parts and skeletons change this worldmap square to evil?

He he he, it probably should, but nothing happens.

Toady, you are awesome.

Also, by 0.34, can we assume the game has 1/3 of all the content you want to have in the full version?

Something like that.  But if we get to 1.0, I doubt that would be the end of it.

I'm going to bed now for a bit.  If the forum dies (it was being a little iffy earlier), I should have it turned on again in my afternoon.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:33 am »

Currently at around 5 hours of a 550 year very large worldgen, sitting at year 253 at the time of me writing this post. I'm running that worldgen on a MacBook (OSX Lion) with a 2.4ghz processor and 8gb of ram.

On another laptop, at about 30 minutes into worldgen, same world params. Year 208, though it's getting slower as it climbs past 200. That laptop has a Core i7 2.8ghz (~give or take a few) with 12gb of ram running Windows 7 64bit.

I'm going to leave the two running and hopefully one of them will be finished by the end of the day without the problems people have been reporting with new worlds loading.

Thanks Toady!!!!

Edit: Both worldgens crashed at around year 270. Couldn't wait any longer, lowered max year to 250 so I could get in and start playing. I'm interested to see what it would take to get a max everything worldgen to finish.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:33:55 pm by yamamushi »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:39 am »

Awww... World Gen speed not increased for me... Oh well...

OOOOOOOOooooohhhhhhh... A TOWER!!! It shows up on the civ in around 10 tile radius around it. So building my FIRST FORT right next to it...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:46:18 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2012, 10:42:09 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-28820-waterfallofdoom

river and river valley seem to be... disjointed.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2012, 10:44:37 am »

Ah, now I know what happened that killed my first tryout: Adventure mode took 100% cpu, the current ubuntu version on this laptop has a bug in the drivers for this cpu, and the whole thing overheated and then clocked down significantly, making it unplayable.
I still think having a sleeping gameloop for adventure mode instead of a while(true) {getkey();} construction would be a major improvement.

OTOH, the game itself is totally awesome so far (I don't want to appear ungrateful or whining! I love it!)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22