Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do you do with your goblinite?  (Read 7339 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do with your goblinite?
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:05:50 pm »

Do you keep it all, sell it to the traders, keep only the metal?

I'm leaning towards keeping the metal and atom smashing the rest, by dumping everything then unforbidding the metal in the stocks screen

What do you do and how do you do it?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your goblinite?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:27 pm »

Cloth goblinte, unles it is of unusal make or worthy of note, gets dumped into the magma pit.
All metals of course are metled down and usually used to decorate other items.

Goblinite isn't quite as big as it was. Goblins are harder now and ware less material that can be reused.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »

Offered as gifts, melted down or used for the military.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »

Using the mass dump command in the designations menu, dump everything into my smasher, then go over it all again with the melt command from the same menu to turn the rubbish gobbo gear into useable bars for whaever later purpose. Takes seconds to do, and only a few mins for my otherwise idle masses to deal with it. The only stuff I keep is bolts, where quantity is more important than quality, especially for hunting and target practice, and bags for my food/glass industries. If I have an unusual (i.e. non-dwarven) weapon from a mood, I might keep matching weapons to form squads using said non-standard weapons.
This is a blank sig.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »

I keep bows, whips and scourges, and use them for weapon traps. I melt the rest of their metal. I keep some cloaks for the military until I have enough. I have a special stockpile for trade goods of low quality, and without bins, that gets dumped into an atom smasher on regular basis.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

Useable weapons and armour go into service with my militia; I form a new squad or two with every migrant wave, and goblin kit is marginally better than nothing as a stop-gap. Once our own forges have turned out proper replacements it's sold off to the next caravan. Clothing and such gets put in the trade goods stockpile.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »

I eat it.

Wait, did you mean the armor and stuff? I just sort of melt it down, I guess.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 01:50:50 pm »

I usually keep the weapons and armour and trade everything else.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »

Until recently I just left the crap where it fell.  I thought doing stuff with it was too much trouble.  But, then my FPS started to drag, so I started doing something about it.

Now I melt down most metal things.  Other stuff I trade away for useful things or smash.  I'm considering setting up a magma dump, which should be interesting.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 02:46:27 pm »

Like most other people I discard the clothes with magma or atom smashing. Most metal I keep. Most of my recent forts only had copper and silver clad foes, and sometimes I got rid of the copper too.
Memento Mori

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »

I don't like keeping any of it as-is, even if it is usable/tradable. It has those annoying parenthese around it, meaning it wasn't crafted by MY dwarves! It's a matter of pride.

I usually throw it all in the lava, except for metal things, which I melt and repurpose.

I like lava instead of atomsmashing, personally, though it doesn't eliminate magma-safe materials so isn't quite as good.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »

I don't like keeping any of it as-is, even if it is usable/tradable. It has those annoying parenthese around it, meaning it wasn't crafted by MY dwarves! It's a matter of pride.

Decorating the items with gems, metal studs, bone, or cloth images (as appropriate) will make the items "yours" for the purpose of sale, removing the parenthese.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »

I usually throw it all in the lava, except for metal things, which I melt and repurpose.

I like lava instead of atomsmashing, personally, though it doesn't eliminate magma-safe materials so isn't quite as good.

what? goblins have magma safe materials?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:58 pm »

what? goblins have magma safe materials?

Anything iron

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »

Well, the goblins in my fort tend to meet with fiery death. Then I melt down the remaining iron.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games
Pages: [1] 2 3