Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The first game I've ever played which...  (Read 5951 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The first game I've ever played which...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:57 am »

Dude but this is like the twenty-first century
Yeah, but... if you actually make the board out of chalk that would defeat the whole point. It has to be a dark material so chalk writing will show up on it. If you make chalk-colored letters on a chalk-colored background it'll be unreadable.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 01:24:25 am »

I am always overcome by an absurd amount of stress/guilt whenever one of my dwarfs is injured/killed, so Fun isn't that fun for me. :(
I much prefer making things like schools and cafés to give my dwarfs a more comfortable life.

KILL THE ELF!!!

For the love of Armok..
He's not and Elf for wanting to create nice things for his Dwarves.
Elves want to ruin the possibility of creating nice things.
So do not call this guy an elf unless he start building nice things for the Elves.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 01:29:51 am »

Dude but this is like the twenty-first century
Yeah, but... if you actually make the board out of chalk that would defeat the whole point. It has to be a dark material so chalk writing will show up on it. If you make chalk-colored letters on a chalk-colored background it'll be unreadable.

Dude. Dude. These are dwarven teachers, they build the board out of chalk, and then scratch writing/engravings into it with their beards. Who needs little sticks of the stuff?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 01:35:10 am »

Dude. Dude. These are dwarven teachers, they build the board out of chalk, and then scratch writing/engravings into it with their beards. Who needs little sticks of the stuff?
Oh, that makes sense. I should have thought of that.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

TailorTF

• Bay Watcher
  • You know pots?Yeah,let's use pots now.Forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:14 am »

What WOULD you need to teach dwarves?It seems that they already know how to do everything,they're just bad at it starting out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 07:16:46 am »

I sometimes feel I am the only person on this forum who actually enjoys creating successful fortresses.
Nah, just that on the odd occasion where we make a successful fort, we either destroy it or stop playing it before we destroy it :P

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 10:02:17 am »

In my case, all my forts become unplayable due to some stupid bug/ai, be it untrainable military, crash every second year, caravan randomly exploding (read set on fire) as it pass near the ONLY small patch of surface lava, badger storm at embark, polar bear + ice wolves at embark, small patch of "temperate" glacier, etc...  I don't even get to the !FUN! part of the game once (insta-death isn't really fun now is it? :\)  I really want to get into the game, but the bugs decides I shouldn't be playing this game, at least until the next release :<

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:11 am »

What WOULD you need to teach dwarves?
That boards made of chalk are poor teaching tools.
In order to teach them that, you need to use chalk boards.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 10:21:02 am »

On the subject of teaching, dwarves come from factory with all the basic information you need imprinted on their positronic brains.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 10:41:47 am »

On the subject of teaching, dwarves come from factory with all the basic information you need imprinted on their positronic brains.
I thought they had alchotronic brains?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 11:00:28 am »

I thought they had alchotronic brains?
That's the brand name.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:55 am »

I sometimes feel I am the only person on this forum who actually enjoys creating successful fortresses.

No, I do too.  I like getting mine to the point where I can sit and watch it run while I work, with absolutely minimal interference.  My current fort is almost 20 years old, has tons of food and drink, masterwork everything made my all my legendary craftsdwarves.  I even have some "pet" forgotten beasts that I managed to get really lucky and trap with webbed cage traps.  (I feed them goblins for fun.)

Ermmm... well ... at least it was humming along anyway.  Then a syndrome appeared out of seeming nowhere and killed a dozen popular dorfs by causing them to blow up like balloons with bruises covering their entire body and then get paralyzed and suffocate to death.  Now I'm on the verge of a tantrum spiral.

I find it's these sudden, unexpected disasters that make it fun for me.  Because I put so much work into getting industry and military and trading and food production... and then suddenly I have dorfs dropping dead all over the place.  And it's at that point where Ledgekindred, Omniscient Overlord starts getting used to tragedy.  And eventually doesn't care about much of anything anymore and watches the fort spiral into chaos and destruction.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 11:11:06 am »

I much prefer making things like schools and cafés to give my dwarfs a more comfortable life.
Okay, I can sort of see how cafes could work, but how do you make a school?

Brain transplantations.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 11:25:00 am »

No, I do too.  I like getting mine to the point where I can sit and watch it run while I work, with absolutely minimal interference.  My current fort is almost 20 years old, has tons of food and drink, masterwork everything made my all my legendary craftsdwarves.  I even have some "pet" forgotten beasts that I managed to get really lucky and trap with webbed cage traps.  (I feed them goblins for fun.)

Ermmm... well ... at least it was humming along anyway.  Then a syndrome appeared out of seeming nowhere and killed a dozen popular dorfs by causing them to blow up like balloons with bruises covering their entire body and then get paralyzed and suffocate to death.  Now I'm on the verge of a tantrum spiral.

I find it's these sudden, unexpected disasters that make it fun for me.  Because I put so much work into getting industry and military and trading and food production... and then suddenly I have dorfs dropping dead all over the place.  And it's at that point where Ledgekindred, Omniscient Overlord starts getting used to tragedy.  And eventually doesn't care about much of anything anymore and watches the fort spiral into chaos and destruction.

Thats what we all feel. Then we start a new fort and reset out own "Doesn't care about anything anymore" trait :)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:50 pm »

I do, too!  My problem is I get bored later on for lack of ability in many areas and end the fort, or the FPS death sets in.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3