Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ocean embark  (Read 12385 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean embark
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »

Thinking about it, I want to try making a kind of harbour/port... anyway, how can I go about trying to butcher anything that lives in the ocean? Particularly given how... untrustworthy swimming is. I can't think of a way you could kill something in the ocean and be able to retrieve the corpse for butchering.

Except for a great, great many pump stacks to drain a section of the ocean faster then it fills in? Is this the only way to do that?

Also I forget, how quickly can a fisher actually depopulate something the size of an ocean? A long time, or just a few Legendary-level ones will do it?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean embark
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:12:44 pm »

Each embark tile has a fixed amount of animals in it, including vermin fish. So you may infact kill all the fish in the sea if you try hard enough.

And draining the sea may be difficult, but not impossible. Screw pumps can move water faster than it can be produced by the edge tiles.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:21:40 pm »

Each embark tile has a fixed amount of animals in it, including vermin fish. So you may infact kill all the fish in the sea if you try hard enough.

And draining the sea may be difficult, but not impossible. Screw pumps can move water faster than it can be produced by the edge tiles.

If I was to extend the embark size to cover more ocean tiles, would that greatly extend the "lifespan" of the fish? And, in theory, not cause too much FPS problems as it's just water tiles?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »

Until the waves start, anyway.

I remember seeing a thread around a while ago about a guy who constructed a system such that he could drain the ocean on command.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:53 pm »

See here for some ideas:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780

Draining the ocean is best accomplished by using a map-edge drain.  Make a tunnel under the ocean to within one tile of the edge of the map.  You can't dig out the edge tiles, but you can smooth them and carve fortifications in them to make an infinite drain.  Add a raising bridge in the tunnel connected to a lever so you can selectively shut off the drain, then punch through the ocean floor to start the drain.  Draining the ocean this way is much easier than trying to use pumps.

It is fairly easy for a single fisherdwarf to catch all the fish in an ocean biome.  Embarking across multiple biomes may help, but it's still only a matter of time till all the vermin-sized fish are caught.  For creature-sized fish, you are best off using cage traps to catch them, then opening the cages to air-drown the captives so you can butcher them.  Again, see the link for methods.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:13:18 pm »

See here for some ideas:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780

Draining the ocean is best accomplished by using a map-edge drain.  Make a tunnel under the ocean to within one tile of the edge of the map.  You can't dig out the edge tiles, but you can smooth them and carve fortifications in them to make an infinite drain.  Add a raising bridge in the tunnel connected to a lever so you can selectively shut off the drain, then punch through the ocean floor to start the drain.  Draining the ocean this way is much easier than trying to use pumps.

It is fairly easy for a single fisherdwarf to catch all the fish in an ocean biome.  Embarking across multiple biomes may help, but it's still only a matter of time till all the vermin-sized fish are caught.  For creature-sized fish, you are best off using cage traps to catch them, then opening the cages to air-drown the captives so you can butcher them.  Again, see the link for methods.

As I thought, it takes some very... unusual methods to kill and butcher sea creatures. I suppose the worst that'll happen as I experiment is I'll lose many miners to drowning.

I sure can hope one day we get harpoons or some less... incredibly dwarven way to do fishing. Wait, what am I saying!?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:28 pm »

What I wish to know is:  How can a single fortress remove all the fish from a huge stretch of ocean?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:23:06 pm »

Those fisherdwarves are serious about their jobs.  I wonder if the fish will ever 'respawn'.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:05 pm »

Drain the ocean, construct a fort entirely out of clear glass on the seabed (complete with dome) and then let the sea back in.

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 10:20:50 pm »

Drain the ocean, construct a fort entirely out of clear glass on the seabed (complete with dome) and then let the sea back in.

Hmm, can airlocks be created? Would legendary swimmers be able to arrive and leave? What exactly happens if a legendary swimmer finds itself at the bottom of the ocean... ? Would swimmers be able to wear full metal armour? ???

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:36 am »

Hmm, can airlocks be created? Would legendary swimmers be able to arrive and leave? What exactly happens if a legendary swimmer finds itself at the bottom of the ocean... ? Would swimmers be able to wear full metal armour? ???
Airlocks are a requirement if you place windows / anywhere where water can get in. If you use pressure plates set to activate by water, it's quite achievable. I found myself deliberately goading Tantuming Dorfs towards windows....

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:58 am »

Ocean embarks are usually Fun

Watch out for Waves, grumpy fish, and the stray Zombie Whale
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

[I sure can hope one day we get harpoons or some less... incredibly dwarven way to do fishing. Wait, what am I saying!?

HARPPOON!
Look, ballista facing the fortifications leading to ocean where water blocked by Moses pump effect! So you can shoot sea animals with ballista bolts, or even crossbows!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:21:05 am »

I had a 4x4 island coast fort with 11/16 ocean and a volcano.
I was busy putting an obsidian pavement over the ocean surface when my first experience of clowns spoiled things. A baby was the last to die, it must have been dodging whilst unconscious.
2 attempts to reclaim have failed. Still more fun to be had there I think.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »

To save on posting a new thread... during this embark, I'm noticing a common problem with merchants. I don't have trade depot up still, so they tend to hang around the edges of the map until they leave - but then one always remains, for some reason, until they go crazy. Any idea why? There's nothing in the way, they just stay by the edge of the map the entire time...
Pages: [1] 2