Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Noob Questions.  (Read 3739 times)

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:47:47 am »

How do I make a well? I feel like this will solve some of my problems... I have read the wiki and tried but have never successfuly done it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:17:32 am »

(b) (l), needs a block, bucket, chain or rope and a mechanism (last one not sure)

find a water source. It works with water in caverns, but this is not always deep enough to prevent the water being a bit muddy

by careful digging and channeling you can link up many murky pools to collect rain water - this water is stagnant and not really drinkable, so let it flow to a collecting place and then pump it in the cistern for the well with a screw pump. Streams and brooks can be breached from the side or below to create a continuous flow. The water is usually drinkable, unless you linked a stagnant pool to the river or some other reason. rivers and bigger can be treated the same way, but lower, if you prefer.

the river has infinite water. This means that it will keep flowing untill it has filled everything up to the level of the surface of the river. Make sure you have a way to shut the flow off, or you'll flood your fort. If the river is several z-levels deep and you breaching near the bottom, the water will be under preasure and flow much faster

Remember that a well over caverns creates a potential access to your fort, just as the opening to a river does. I'm not sure if a well can be destroyed from below, but a building destroyer coming from the river could be a problem if you only have a floodgate.After destroying the floodgate it will have a free run into your fort, and now there is nothing to hold back the water, and nothing will be done about it because, surprise, there's a monster scaring everyone away
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:47:30 pm »

So a well isn't a good bet?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »

It depends greatly on your embark site.

I like to embark with a brook, and then dig an underground area (about 7x7) to hold water, then fill it from the brook, then channel one tile above it and build the well there.  The only tricky part of that is making sure you don't flood the entire fortress due to pressure.  That's solved by having a diagonal turn in the tunnel on the filling level:

Code: [Select]
   #########
   #.......####
   #.......##<#  <-- Stairway going up to the brook's level.
####.......##.#
...X.........##  <-- Diagonal in the tunnel removes pressure from the water.
####.......###
   #.......#     X = Floodgate (put in place after you've finished digging).
   #.......#
   #########

On the brook's level, dig a tunnel from the stairway to just before the brook.  When the miners are out and the floodgate's in place, send the miners outside to channel that last tile from the brook to the hallway, and the water will rush in.  Assuming it's not frozen.

Many other designs will also work.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »

Ok, can any of you answer my Genisis question? When I say the Genisis mod I mean the mod from deons mods, and the problem being when i set a food stockpile my dwarves wont move the food... idk why they move one barrel of food and thats it.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 05:40:03 pm »

Err, just a question : Why don't you use the unmodded game? Mods such as Genesis add some complexity to the game, and you seem to have problems with the basic survival process, so playing with the basic game until you learn your first steps would seem logical, no?  ???

I've got nothing against Genesis. I'm more on a "learn to crawl before you run" train of thought, here.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 07:20:17 pm »

when i set a food stockpile my dwarves wont move the food... idk why they move one barrel of food and thats it.

Most likely explanation is that all the tiles of the stockpile have something on them.  Very often, stone (especially if you have Legendary miners, who always leave stone).

If that is indeed the case, try setting up a garbage zone and then dumping all the stuff.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:29 pm »

I use genisis because of Iornhand that's on there, Iornhand on regular dwarf fortress looks different and I dont like it, I have tried transferring file but that doesn't work, and no there is no rock in the way, I clear it with the dump method.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:34 pm »

Thx all, I am now sitting at 20? plant and 40? drink. I build up plants then brew 3 drinks and i can sustain this, now just to mine out the rest of my fort... now about military?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 11:12:00 pm »

now about military?
Start one up as soon as possible if you want to be able to survive the goblin attacks later. The wiki has a fairly decent guide on how to set up your first military groups and what to do with them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »

I strongly suggesdt using a screw pump for filling your water reservoir. Floodgates are vulnerable to building destroyers, and a broken floodgate will result in much !!Fun!! if the water behind it is pressurized. If you have a disconnecting gear assembly (linked to a lever) between the pump and power source (or operate the pump manually), water will only flow when you want it to. My typical "pump station" looks something like this:
 _B_A
OBO
O  OOOO
O     D>O
O DOO%O
O   gG%O
OWWW~O
OOOOOOO

_ = channel (under bridge, ramps removed)
A = ramp out of channel
B = bridge, raises towards inside of pump station (in this case, south or "down")
O = wall
D = door
> = down stair (to channel that leads to water reservoir)
% = screw pump, in this case pumps from the south
g= gear assembly, G = gear assembly connected to a lever
W = water wheel
~= water (can be under a floor grate for extra carp safety)

If you build a solid roof above the pump station, it will be safe from most building destroyers.
Caveat: you need to link up and pull the gear assembly lever before building the water wheel, or it will start pumping immediately, which can lead to !!Fun!!. Do not attach the water wheel to the disconnecting gear or it will deconstruct when the gear disconnects.
In case of non-flowig water source, replace water wheel with windmill on top of the pump station.
When building on a brook, you need tho channel away the "floor" on top of it where you build the water wheel.

(I also like to have a floodgate near the reservoir just to be on the safe side.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 08:43:49 am »

Ok i have made my first squad and they are training but idk how to make a burrows to pull all of dwarves back inside. I read how you can make a civilian alert but it didn't explain much.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 08:59:36 am »

In my reservoir design, if the floodgate is considered a point of vulnerability (a fair point, if you're letting trolls get that far down into your fortress), you could build a wall there instead.

Granted, the design with two gear assemblies, a water wheel, a pump, and a lever is much more Dwarfy. ;)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31:07 pm »

@Sus

Just a helpful hint here, but if you put your diagrams in (code](/code] (with the '('s replaced with ['s of course, it's also the # symbol next to the spoiler button) Then you no longer need to add in all of those weird spaces to make everything line up since the code tag makes all characters take the same amount of horizontal space.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 05:30:36 pm »

Ok is it smart to equip my marksdwarves with bone armor and weapons? And if it is how do I supply enough corpses for it? It says not enough unrotted corpses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3