Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Noob Questions.  (Read 3741 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:53 pm »

Ok is it smart to equip my marksdwarves with bone armor and weapons? And if it is how do I supply enough corpses for it? It says not enough unrotted corpses.
Bone crossbows are as effective as any other crossbow, but pretty much any other material is better for armor (but it's still beter than nothing).

To make bone items you need some bone, which can be attained by butchering a tame animal or untame corpse.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 05:47:29 pm »

How do i get my animals to breed?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:12 pm »

They will do so automatically. If you have a non-pregnant female and a male of the same species on the map at the same time then the female will automatically become pregnant. This can even happen if the female and male don't share any of the same area and will never come into contact with each other over the course of their lives.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:33 pm »

Ok I have more questions on military, I cant find any coal... or if i have I haven't been notified and its not in my stockpiles, if I don't have coal I cant start my wood fuel production and if I cant start that I cant start my mining industry right? And about the bone armor and weapons I'm using bone crossbows with bolts, and I'm working on armor, but what bone armor should I make? And then how do I equip it? I have been in the military uniforms menu and in the equip menu... I don't understand and I have made weapon racks but I don't know where to place them. So if any of you can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 12:21:23 am »

There is a man that goes by the name captnduck. he is the keeper of the codex of dwarfenwisdom his apostules are probably half this forum he is known for enlightening minds in the ways of dwarfhearding. if you seek his chalace of infinate knowlage i would look up captnduck in the archives of the youtubes. his letsplays are probably the best thing to happen to this globe we inhabit since the interwebz. but beware there is no turning back once this curse has been cast upon you. thou will be a dwarfhearder forever.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 01:24:28 am »

Ok I have more questions on military, I cant find any coal... or if i have I haven't been notified and its not in my stockpiles, if I don't have coal I cant start my wood fuel production and if I cant start that I cant start my mining industry right? And about the bone armor and weapons I'm using bone crossbows with bolts, and I'm working on armor, but what bone armor should I make? And then how do I equip it? I have been in the military uniforms menu and in the equip menu... I don't understand and I have made weapon racks but I don't know where to place them. So if any of you can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Coal is a useful source of fuel, but if you have plentiful trees in the area you can make due burning wood for charcoal instead. Fuel has nothing to do with mining, and is used to smelt metal ores into bars, and work those bars into items.

The most important armor, in my opinion, are helms, high/low boots, greaves, and breastplates. Other important armor includes gauntlets, mail shirts, and caps.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 08:19:44 am »

Echoing what's been said -- most of my fortresses do not have coal/lignite, but it's a total non-issue.  You can burn wood into charcoal, which serves as fuel for your early smelting and forging while you dig down to the magma sea to set up the real metal industry, powered by the fuel of the gods.

You also need carbon for steel-making, but again, that can come from trees converted into charcoal.  And unlike coal, which is finite, trees grow back.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:10 am »

Hauling trees is a huuuuge labour though. It's really nice to have coal when you don't have many dorfs yet.

'course, either is just a stopgap to magma. Depends how quickly you like burrowing down there I guess.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:44 am »

And hauling and mining coal is not labor intensive?

I think the question about the coal rested on a misunderstanding: you don't need fuel for a wood burning furnace. The wood is the fuel and is converted into charcoal. coal needs to be converted at a smelter, and that does use fuel.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50:44 am »

And hauling and mining coal is not labor intensive?
Relatively speaking, not at all. 1 coal block is probably closer to your stockpile, and it produces (effectively) 2 coke. 1 wood block is going to be much further away, and only produces 1 charcoal. Even lignite is probably better.

Anyway I agree wood burning is certainly viable, especially once you have trees in a more convenient place.
Pages: 1 2 [3]